displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: 55 or 50?
gaz likes shmeat

Senior User

Post #1
I need to replace the front tyres, and I'm currently running the standard 195 55 15...but the car is lowered so I would prefer to eventually be on 195 50 15 all round. The problem I have got is that the rear tyres have still got plenty of life left in them and do not need changing yet.

So would it be OK to run 50's on the front and 55's on the back? Or is this generally a no no??

Also, if I was to buy off the t'interweb, would most tyre places be happy to fit tyres if you supply yourself?

Cheers, Gaz
Posted 20th Sep 2010 at 20:11
rallyeca

Regular

Post #2
Just had some byo tyres fitted for £25 inc vat, so i'd assume most will.

Rallye for sale!
Posted 20th Sep 2010 at 20:15
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I've never known a garage refuse to fit tyres you've bought elsewhere, but it's worth giving them a ring beforehand so you can arrange to do it during their downtime or leave the car with them - it's the sort of job that they'll often do for cash. Tends to be around £10 a corner doon sooth, or a bit cheaper ooop noorth.

As it's only two wheels drive there's nothing to stop you having different sized tyres as long as each axel is matched - the rears are at the end of the day just being dragged along at whatever speed the front is going Smile

O.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 20th Sep 2010 at 20:19
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Yes but it looks strange. £10 a corner?! Around here its £5 if you ask nicely.

Nothing to see here
Posted 20th Sep 2010 at 20:32
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Aaaah, really should stop making those comments about his mum every time I go in, that explains a bit Wink

Posted 20th Sep 2010 at 20:46
stevevac43

Regular

Post #6
most smaller tyre places would fit them no probs,going rates around £5 to £8 a wheel ablanced,i get mine done for nowt but your not near me so cant help with the freebie
Posted 22nd Sep 2010 at 20:52
gaz likes shmeat

Senior User

Post #7
not too bad then there's plenty of tyre fitters round here. i'm going to order a couple of Uniroyal rainsport 2's. cheers chaps
Posted 22nd Sep 2010 at 20:54
jim01uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
I have had a kwik-dick garage refuse to mount tyres which I have bought elsewhere under the excuse that "the tyre fitter is responsible by law for the tyres fitted so if we don't know where they are from we won't fit them" (they were brand new tyres from mytyres) so I took them to another kwik-dick branch 2 miles up the road who fitted them for £7 a corner. Yes

I now take them to my local Hi-Q, because I get on well with them and as the manager says - "I'd rather my lads were fitting tyres bought elsewhere than sat around doing f*ck all"
Posted 24th Sep 2010 at 13:07
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #9
the nice guys up the next street fitted and balanced a set for free last time I needed some doing Big grin

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 24th Sep 2010 at 13:39
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Kwik-Fit tried to blame me for "breaking their machine" when they tried to top up my air con once, haven't been back since.

Posted 24th Sep 2010 at 13:45