displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Upgrading all round
_oldschool_

Post #1
Morning everyone,

Used the search but couldnt find the definative answers was after. My 6 has an upgraded CD headunit and 6x9's but they are not amazing to be honest LOL

Would like complete upgrade all round so front and rears and new 6x9's but want direct replacement dont want to have to start cutting stuff etc

Can anyone recommend the best upgrades to bolt straight in? And the sizes of the speakers? Am i right in thinking 17cm front and rear?

Thanks in advance Smile

Dan
Posted 20th Sep 2010 at 17:01
mjstones

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
yep, the standards are 6.5" or 16.5/17cm. they'll all fit, just watch for the mounting depth if you don't want to start cutting.

saying that tho it's not difficult. just pop the door card off and saw out a bit of the plastic where the speaker sits. http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=99268&page=1

pics to show.

Never underestimate the power of De-Nile.

Friday afternoon car, built in France.... Ninja

306gti6.com Stickers available, pm me for details. or email MjStones83@hotmail.com

Sticker Thread with pics

Posted 20th Sep 2010 at 23:56
_oldschool_

Post #3
Thanks for that mate.

Going to get all the speakers changed and a nice new head unit Smile
Posted 21st Sep 2010 at 02:08
_oldschool_

Post #4
Meant to ask - what is the type I need, i have read about 2way and component? But i dont know the difference, im buying a new headunit but dont want subs and amps etc just headunit with all speakers and 6x9's with the best sound I can get.

And its RMS im after now the main watt power quoted isnt it?

Thanks

Posted 21st Sep 2010 at 02:25
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Yes RMS is what you need to look out for. If running off a headunit buy a speaker with around the headunit figure normally 50watts. Component means you will have a separate tweeter normally which will included a cross over that you will have to hide somewhere, behind the door card is fine. And most will need a hole somewhere for the tweeter ie the wing mirror plastic back. If your not confident then a set of two way speakers would be easier to fit.

Phase 2 Blaze GTi 6 (Standard) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged China GTi 6 (249.8 BHP) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged Diablo GTi 6 (443 BHP)Sold
Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 21st Sep 2010 at 19:08
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
You wont find a headunit with rms figures, they are always max power, my 2004 alpine headunit is 4x60w, so would be about 4x25-30wrms

For the best sound quality and sound staging, your not realy suposed to have any speakers in the back, just a small sub.

I'd go for a top of the range alpine headunit.

With regards to the speakers, you can get coaxils, these are simple speakers that have the tweeter built into the centre of the speaker and can be had pretty cheap, then you can get 2 way components, these have a seperate tweeter, which can be mounted anywhere within reason, in a 306 they would go on the A-pillas or where the interior wing mirror covers are, you can get them pretty cheap aswell, but you pay for what you get.

Genesis, focal, phoenix gold, hertz, rainbow are some of the top quality brands.

Dimma + Gt35 turbo = Ninja
Solid rear beam mounts £130
Dan
Posted 21st Sep 2010 at 19:22
musclebeach

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Careful with the front speakers if yours is an early phase 306, or at least have a good word with people about moving the damn window regulator or doing something with it, as it doesn't allow speakers to be any deeper than 56mm if i'm correct, in other words no big magnets!

VW Golf GT TDI 115, 100k nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Posted 21st Sep 2010 at 21:14
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Oh yea, i had to make some door pods for my comps.

Dan
Posted 21st Sep 2010 at 22:00
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
birk wrote:

Genesis, focal, phoenix gold, hertz, rainbow are some of the top quality brands.

Wink only the old pg stuff, not the new.

resonant engineering is also a top brand (but lesser known)

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Astor 306 Francorchamps RIP
Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
I Love this place. So many illiterate deluded fool's acting 'ard . . . and so many literate intelligent people to rip them apart and knock them back down again . . . ahh Cool
Posted 23rd Sep 2010 at 23:09
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Yea, thats what i ment LOL

I wasnt going to put R.E, not many people know what they are, ive had a re xxx v3 15" sub, boom boom Smile

Dan
Posted 24th Sep 2010 at 00:40
6waysforward

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
i got slapped in the face with a re xxx. makin sure it was mounted properly and my mate turned it on with my head next to it with a bit of three 6 mafia. ouch.

i can personally recomend rainbow and genesis as i use them both.

as said above, old pg stuff is good not new stuff.

mate of mine has a set of focal comps costing near 3k in the day. sound fookin ace with old pg amps and a alpine f1 status.

***Breaking*** Ph3 Silver GTI 6 High Boost Superman

Posted 1st Oct 2010 at 05:04