displaying posts 1 to 3 of 3

Author Subject: Sensor help
mark-house

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Ok could some one help me out here?

Am i right in my understanding that the ICV regulates the air flow into the inlet manifold when the throttle body is closed so stopping the engine from stalling or is the throttle body set up so that its never totally closed?

Also can someone explain to me what it is the MAP sensor actually does? i know it reads the Manifold pressure but for what reason?

Cheers Mark

Peugeot 306 GTi 6
BMW 320 td compact M-sport
1967 Mini Cooper
1990 Jaguar XJR 4.0
Posted 19th Sep 2010 at 04:49
luthor1

Junior User

Post #2
ICV is a 4-wire screw-type stepper motor. As it winds out, more air is allowed to bypass the throttle butterfly to bring up the revs. The throttle butterfly isn't allowed to 'fully' close because it would wear and become stuck.

The MAP sensor measures the vacuum between the throttle butterfly and the pistons. It is an important part of the air-mass calculation.

Andy
Posted 19th Sep 2010 at 04:58
mark-house

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Ah cool so the ICV compensates for the 'off' throttle position? if it requires more air the ICV opens to regulate the revs?

With the MAP sensor i assume then that as the inlet valve opens and the piston increases the vacum the MAP recognises this and the injectos squirts the correct amout of fuel or are the injectors contantly firing and only regulated by the lamda?

Peugeot 306 GTi 6
BMW 320 td compact M-sport
1967 Mini Cooper
1990 Jaguar XJR 4.0
Posted 19th Sep 2010 at 05:04