displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: lowered car causing problems
loftlex

Junior User

Post #1
i have a 306 td not a gti and its been lowered,,,

its very low at the rear and it has low red springs at the front, sorry if i am not stating sizes and stuff but i have not owned the car very long and i have not got a clue what has been done to it,,

i get a banging noise when i break from spead, so i took the car to a garage and was advised that the rear of the car is so low that its going to cause me some serious problems, unless i get the torsion bar adjusted,, but in their opinion its too much work, its easyer to get a rear axle and get it fitted..

so i have found a standard rear axle of a bog standard 306 td and i also got the front springs in a local breakers, and as i know the owner i got the lot for £90

my friend who is a mechanic said he will swap them over for me,

would anyone be interested in the lowered parts?

also is what i have been told true,, if the rear suspension has been lowered too low can it damage your car

sorry if this is a bit long winded, but i have not got a clue and i am getting the car back to factory,

all the best

GTI wanna be Sad ---In a puff of black smoke and a whistle,,, i was gone Smile
Posted 16th Sep 2010 at 23:01
fozzy_255

Senior User

Post #2
From what i know having the beam lowered means it wears out quicker. I changed mine over as the camber on the wheels and im sure the bush's were past there best to say the least. Standard hieght is so uch easier and comfier
Posted 16th Sep 2010 at 23:11
simonjames

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Depends on how low the car is do you have any pics?

mines lowered to the point most would say is too much but in all honesty ive had no problems at all and ive owned the car 7 years, i think that by lowering it put strain on components that were already worn

All South Wales Members Click Here
Team Supercharged Black RALLYE ™ (Click Here for Build Project)
MY EBAY ITEMS

Posted 16th Sep 2010 at 23:17
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
if lowered properly i dont see how any extra strain is put on beam, i think its bullshit really.

the only thing affected is handling you induce understeer.

as for mechanic saying too much work to raise beam hes talking shit again. its already been lowered so will come apart easy.
fitting a new axle will cost a shed load more in labour. Yes
Posted 16th Sep 2010 at 23:36