displaying posts 1 to 22 of 22

Author Subject: Scary handling from the rear
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #1
Just been on holiday in the South of France for a week and naturally this involved a decent amount of Autoroute driving. I noticed some (frankly bloody worring) handling from the rear of the car on the way down though, this was at higher speeds: 60 to 70mph.

The best way I can describe it is that the back end was wallowy and seemed to lag (if that makes sense) behind the reaction of the front end. For example, at 60mph I'd very quickly snap the steering wheel left-right just to sort of 'wiggle' the car and there was a clear noticeable time difference for when the back would follow the turn/wiggle - about quarter to half a second after the front had settled.

It was extremely disconcerting in swooping bends at motorway speeds and the back end just felt loose!

The issue has only just arisen this week. I've chucked the car boldly into corners countless times over the 3 years I've owned it and always been confident of the handling properties. This though scared the shit out of me!

Now, I have searched but before I go and buy useless and irrelevant objects I'd just like to confirm with anyone who knows what this problem might be.

Is it A: rear beam mounts? If so, does everyone else experience anal sphincter enlargement by Peugeot to the tune of Ģ312.10 for 4 pieces of rubber? Shock
Or just put up with it?
Or get them from GSF?
Or go solid Dry ?

Is it B: my new Rainsports? Much improvement in a maritime climate but possibly total dog shit when they've been heated by speed, sun (30+ degrees C) and hot black Tarmac at well over the above temperature?

Is it C: shagged rear beam internals. O please Lord, let it not be C. Car's not lowered, beam doesn't creak, isn't siezed and sports no camber - negative or otherwise. Just passed MOT no problems last month.

Thoughts and comments please!
Posted 12th Sep 2010 at 21:23
bennn

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
my moneys on worn beam mounts i put pug ones on mine and it cost me around Ģ200 iirc.

Cherry Red 306 HDI
Championship White Integra DC5 Type R
Posted 12th Sep 2010 at 21:47
matty_rallye

Senior User

Post #3
I would jack the rear of the car up and check for any play in the axle bearings. If thats ok and it is the rear mounts then the solid mounts are a very good upgrade.

2.1 16v 306 Rallye.
Posted 12th Sep 2010 at 21:48
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I've had this twice, once with each car.

The 306 was when i changed the rear beam and through miscommunication between my mate and i the nuts in the boot for the beam mounts were finger tight. Made for very woolly handing exactly as you describe.

With the Rover i suddenly got very skitty, very imprecise handling, later found to be a missing spigot ring in the wheel! Shouldn't matter if you're still rolling on cyclones.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 12th Sep 2010 at 22:05
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #5
Cheers for the replies.

I was wondering about the solid rear mounts, they seem like a good option, especially given the cost of new OE mounts! I don't really push the car hard enough to provoke lift-off oversteer (I have no talent to recover it...) so I doubt I'd miss the lessening effect of this through reduction of passive rear steer. Is there a lot more noise transmitted through the cabin with them?

The price I quoted above was from servicebox for:
5131 71 - (2)
5131 69 - (1)
5131 70 - (1)

How can you get OE replacements for less?
Posted 12th Sep 2010 at 22:39
gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
GSF is the way forward...or ask Lukejenks what his best price is.

If you do speak to GSF on the phone, tell them you get the A price on your parts at another branch. That's the proper trade price, not what they tell you is the trade price.
Posted 12th Sep 2010 at 22:55
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #7
front P-bushes can cause this Thumbs up

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 13th Sep 2010 at 03:57
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #8
welshpug! wrote:
front P-bushes can cause this Thumbs up

I'm hoping it's not anything to do with the front suspension beacuse in the last couple of thousand miles I've replaced the front wishbones, both P bushes, ball joints, drop links, and a top mount bearing. The transformation was and still is amazing so I assume the P bushes shouln't wear out in this time frame?
Posted 13th Sep 2010 at 12:38
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
on depends on how you drive and where you drive had mine go in less than 6 months. spoox or rich w ones next on my list

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 13th Sep 2010 at 20:53
si_man306

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Check your wheel bearings too, mine felt like there were 'gusts' of wind swaying the car, these 'gusts' got worse as the bearing just fell apart. Eventually it was a scary drive. Tyre kick/ shove will show you if it's loose.

I've had the solid rear mounts on my old rallye and they were amazing. They made the car much more stable, especially in corners, swapping direction (eg slalem) and braking during cornering. I found whereas before the car would lean and be worrying in high speed corners, the solid rear mounts meant that even at speeds 90-100mph, you could feel how solid the rear end was (this was genuinely on track although there was a clear difference on the road too at normal speeds).

I had skip browns do mine although they're available all over now. The only downside I found was that I couldn't provoke lurid oversteer like I could with the lifting-off that I used to love. If you're not interested in that though then I would go for it Wink Thumbs up

"Rules are for the interpretation of wisemen and the obedience of fools" (Colin Chapman, Lotus founder)
Posted 13th Sep 2010 at 21:37
306matt

Regular

Post #11
Does anyone sell any hardened rubber version of these mounts?

Thanks,

Matt

Team Astor Front Mounted... Hybrid turbo on it's way.
Posted 24th Sep 2010 at 15:16
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
306matt wrote:
Does anyone sell any hardened rubber version of these mounts?

Thanks,

Matt

Not that I know of. New proper standard ones are good enough - makes a huge difference if your old ones are dead. Solids are a matter of opinion and for road use I never saw the need. I liked having the LOOS option as a get out of jail free card if I went into a corner too hard.

Nothing to see here
Posted 24th Sep 2010 at 20:21
nealh

Regular

Post #13
adam b wrote:

I liked having the LOOS option as a get out of jail free card if I went into a corner too hard.

For me, LOOS is a "get into jail (backwards) card" Big grin

E39 M5
Ph2.5 GTI-6
Posted 24th Sep 2010 at 21:55
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Another vote for p-bushes, my car does the wallowing at speed when changing direction and the MOT results showed only the p-bushes needed doing

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 24th Sep 2010 at 21:59
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #15
Hmm Beginning to think I need to find a massive wide open space at night and test this LOOS... At least I might learn how to control it if it ever happens LOL

I'm certain it's not the P bushes given that they're only a few months old and the front feels very tight now. I'm going to go for some solid mounts I think, partly due to price! Not needing to replace worn ones in the future will be an added bonus too Roll eyes
Posted 25th Sep 2010 at 00:58
snillet

Post #16
The 306 LOOS is controlable, not like the 205 *oh i spun two turns before i saw it coming* LOOS.

Member of Peugeot Sport Club Sweden
http://www.peugeot-sport-club.com/
My son: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzjSBKkMHDA
Posted 28th Sep 2010 at 20:14
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
tompaltridge wrote:
Hmm Beginning to think I need to find a massive wide open space at night and test this LOOS... At least I might learn how to control it if it ever happens LOL

making it happen yourself in carpark will not prepare you for when it happens for real! LOL

the f*cker will just come out and youl be like AARGGHGHGGRGHGRGHGRGHGTHGHRRGH!!!!.....followed by HAHAHAHAHAH.... THAT WAS FUN!!!

when it happens just floor the accelerator and turn into it LOL
Posted 28th Sep 2010 at 20:59
musclebeach

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Happened to me, totally caught me unaware.......and i wrote the car off.

I don't even get the chance of LOOS as i won't drive it like that until i've booked the car in at an airfield local to me at least....

My first one wallowed like a good un!

VW Golf GT TDI 115, 100k nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Posted 28th Sep 2010 at 22:44
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #19
lotek wrote:
tompaltridge wrote:

making it happen yourself in carpark will not prepare you for when it happens for real! LOL

the f*cker will just come out and youl be like AARGGHGHGGRGHGRGHGRGHGTHGHRRGH!!!!.....followed by HAHAHAHAHAH.... THAT WAS FUN!!!

... Yeah pretty sure with my l33t driving skillz the ARRGH moment will turn into a stool sample deposited neatly on the Alcantara and the Garmin will start stating "recalculating..." Dry

Pray tell, what happens with this 'turn into it' malarky when the section of Tarmac you'll be 'turning into it' on contains a bemused HGV driver and his/her sizeable HGV?
I don't get how the width of a UK A or B road allows the dimensions of a recovery! LOL
Posted 29th Sep 2010 at 00:11
snillet

Post #20
tompaltridge wrote:

I don't get how the width of a UK A or B road allows the dimensions of a recovery! LOL

Donīt go LOOS on roads like that Ninja

But as said above, with full throttle on you can usually steer in the right direction and the rear will just follow along in a nice drift.

Member of Peugeot Sport Club Sweden
http://www.peugeot-sport-club.com/
My son: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzjSBKkMHDA
Posted 29th Sep 2010 at 15:47
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
tompaltridge wrote:
lotek wrote:
tompaltridge wrote:

... Yeah pretty sure with my l33t driving skillz the ARRGH moment will turn into a stool sample deposited neatly on the Alcantara and the Garmin will start stating "recalculating..." Dry

Pray tell, what happens with this 'turn into it' malarky when the section of Tarmac you'll be 'turning into it' on contains a bemused HGV driver and his/her sizeable HGV?

Regardless of whats coming the other way you should corrrect, HGV or not, you can correct the 6 quite easy it wasent renowned as one of the best handling FWD cars for nothing Roll eyes

if you dont correct, then hitting the said HGV is a certainty Yes
Posted 29th Sep 2010 at 16:41
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
snillet wrote:
The 306 LOOS is controlable, not like the 205 *oh i spun two turns before i saw it coming* LOOS.

Rubbish. Loved the 205's rear steer feature Wink
Easier and more telepathic than the 306 due to the smaller weight involved and generally less grip.

Anyway i'm now enjoying LOOS followed by 4-wheel drift in the impreza. Getting better at it, but a new rear roll bar and anti-lift will help.

Nothing to see here
Posted 29th Sep 2010 at 18:46