displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Radio killing battery
sport1901966

Senior User

Post #1
I've done a bet of web trawling but not really found a solution to my problem.

I have the HU wired so it can be turned on without the key in the ignition, i.e both power feeds are permanent 12V. The prob is the radio has a ~140mAmp draw that flattens the battery after about a week with no use.

The Head Unit is an Alpine 9855R.

I like being able to have the radio on without the ignition turned to ACC (particularly as it means the interior fan isn't running being a 306) but obviously the battery drain is an issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get around this, maybe use a resistor???

Thanks for the suggestions!
Posted 9th Sep 2010 at 23:47
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
switch the red and yellow powerleads on the back of the HU and/or switch the related fuse in your fusebox (see FAQ's)

resistor will still 'consume' the power, a separate switch could be a possibility

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Astor 306 Francorchamps RIP
Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
I Love this place. So many illiterate deluded fool's acting 'ard . . . and so many literate intelligent people to rip them apart and knock them back down again . . . ahh Cool
Posted 10th Sep 2010 at 00:08
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Do you really need it to be on when engine is off?
Posted 10th Sep 2010 at 00:11
sport1901966

Senior User

Post #4
dragoon wrote:
switch the red and yellow powerleads on the back of the HU and/or switch the related fuse in your fusebox (see FAQ's)

resistor will still 'consume' the power, a separate switch could be a possibility

At the moment they are both connected to permanant live so switching them is effectively the same situation. I'll have a look in the FAQs now. Adding a resistor would reduce the draw as Current=Voltage/Resistance increasing the resistance would reduce the current, I would just be unsure about the effect on the HU during operation.

Thanks for the help Thumbs up

justinaccurate wrote:
Do you really need it to be on when engine is off?

I often find it useful - camping/waiting to collect someone/whilst doing work on the car (when disconnecting the battery isnt required)
Posted 10th Sep 2010 at 00:49
sport1901966

Senior User

Post #5
I was wondering whether its just the radio, where some just naturally draw more current when off than others, does this seem likely?

Does anyone know a way around it?
Posted 11th Sep 2010 at 18:13