displaying posts 1 to 21 of 21

Author Subject: Toyo T1R's dead after one track day!?
2266geoff

Post #1
Spent yesterday hooning around Silverstone and managed to totally destroy the tyres in the process. The rears are almost as bad at the fronts!
Bought them off camskill for about £30 quid each and changed all four to 195/50 R15 ( the P6000's that were on there when I bought the car were like driving on ice at the previous wet track day). Ran them in for about 200 miles on various roads and had them at 36 psi.
Had amazing grip but noticed after the first few sessions that the tread was almost teering off. After lunch went back out for a few more sessions and although grip didn't seem to be effected I started to get vibration through the steering. By the end of the day ( 120 miles completed on track) they were just about ok to drive back home. The wear is even but where its come away/torn it looks almost down to the cord.
I was expecting about 3 track days worth of use out of these......any thoughts or advice.
Thanks

Cheap and chearful track day toy
Posted 9th Sep 2010 at 22:57
jim01uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Advice: Buy some track day tyres. I did the same to a set of Toyo's at Llandow in my S16 - I had them fitted, drive 240 miles to the track and then destroyed them in one day. Even worse, I had to pay £200 to the local Kwik-dick in bridgend to replace them with the "only" suitable tyres they had in on that day (sunday)
Posted 9th Sep 2010 at 22:26
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Don't stay out too long 'cause you'll overheat them, hence the tread tear, although at that pressure it could equally we be cold tear if you're not a smooth driver.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 9th Sep 2010 at 22:36
2266geoff

Post #4
phillipm wrote:
Don't stay out too long 'cause you'll overheat them, hence the tread tear, although at that pressure it could equally we be cold tear if you're not a smooth driver.

I do a slow out lap and slow in lap to try and bring them up to temp. What psi do you suggest? Tried to do some research but there is so much conflicting info I just stuck with standard. Time wise I try to stick to 15-20 mins a session and leave the car at least half an hour to cool between.
I was driving hard as trying to give the elise and boxster drivers some grief Whistle

Posted 9th Sep 2010 at 22:44
2266geoff

Post #5
jim01uk wrote:
Advice: Buy some track day tyres. I did the same to a set of Toyo's at Llandow in my S16 - I had them fitted, drive 240 miles to the track and then destroyed them in one day. Even worse, I had to pay £200 to the local Kwik-dick in bridgend to replace them with the "only" suitable tyres they had in on that day (sunday)

On the case its just the cost of buying them. Used one's are rare and new they are over £400 Crazy

Posted 9th Sep 2010 at 22:45
cress87

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
click

Ph3 China blue GTi-6 330Ci///M Sport & NC23 CBR400RR Cool

You feed beefburgers to swans. Yes

I may have been speeding Mr Policeman but [a] I live for the 306 and [b] did you see that dog? omfg
Posted 9th Sep 2010 at 22:54
2266geoff

Post #7
cress87 wrote:

Crazy

Posted 9th Sep 2010 at 22:58
cress87

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
You obviously knew what I was getting at as you've edited the thread title now. Wink

Ph3 China blue GTi-6 330Ci///M Sport & NC23 CBR400RR Cool

You feed beefburgers to swans. Yes

I may have been speeding Mr Policeman but [a] I live for the 306 and [b] did you see that dog? omfg
Posted 9th Sep 2010 at 23:00
mark-house

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
I would have thought 36 psi was too high cos the pressure will increase with the temp of the tire.

Peugeot 306 GTi 6
BMW 320 td compact M-sport
1967 Mini Cooper
1990 Jaguar XJR 4.0
Posted 9th Sep 2010 at 23:24
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #10
what do you expect from a £30 tyre LOL

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 9th Sep 2010 at 23:24
2266geoff

Post #11
welshpug! wrote:
what do you expect from a £30 tyre LOL

Never had a problem with the T1-R's before but then I suppose never given them so much abuse. Fair point though, suppose you get what you pay for

Posted 9th Sep 2010 at 23:27
2266geoff

Post #12
mark-house wrote:
I would have thought 36 psi was too high cos the pressure will increase with the temp of the tire.

Have to do some more research but fair few people said that it would stop side wall flex. have to say that the outer edges were not too bad and the wear was even.

Posted 9th Sep 2010 at 23:28
binkagti

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Firstly fill them with nitrogen about a £1 per wheel, this then does not heat up like air, run them around 28psi, you then get 10000 miles out of t1r like i have, mine have done track days, loads of drag racing runs aswell and still a bit of tread left on them.

Just my opinion

TEAM Supercharged Rallye

Posted 9th Sep 2010 at 23:46
berger

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
binkagti wrote:
Firstly fill them with nitrogen about a £1 per wheel, this then does not heat up like air, run them around 28psi, you then get 10000 miles out of t1r like i have, mine have done track days, loads of drag racing runs aswell and still a bit of tread left on them.

Just my opinion

Where supplys 100% nitrogen.

Air is already 78% nitrogen....

Bang'in 7 gram rocks!
I have one gear, GO!
Posted 10th Sep 2010 at 00:02
matt h 306

Regular

Post #15
They need them worn down a far bit to stop the tread from folding over and over heating, the Saloon lads that used to run then at Combe had them buffed to about 4mm
Posted 10th Sep 2010 at 00:15
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
You'll never even notice a nitrogen fill vs air.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 10th Sep 2010 at 00:26
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #17
my brother had his Michelin energy's filler with Nitrogen at Costco when he had a set of 4 fitted, o/s R is probably 100% standard air now as the wheel is corroded Doh

I didn't notice anything bar the fact that the tyres weren't 5 year old chenshang+10 year old Michelin mix!

I'd give PE2's a go, you can get them at about £52 each, but as mentioned above, don't go on track for too long, and don't go on track with fresh 8mm treaded tyres as the blocks will move around and overheat.

Also could try Kumho's or Falkens.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 10th Sep 2010 at 00:33
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
As said they where never designed to go on track for long at all, 10 mins is about it even buffed which you do when racing on the things,
I got about 2 race meetings out of a set which wasn't bad considering the tread was just above the wear markers to start with.
Mind 888's don't last much longer than a 30 min stint.

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 10th Sep 2010 at 00:40
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
2266geoff wrote:
Bought them off camskill for about £30 quid each

I had a discussion with the bloke at Protyre about price matching the likes of Camskill. He informed me that they are the UK distributor of Toyo's so shouldn't be that cheap.

I would be questioning the source of the tyres as standards vary across Europe.

May all be bullshit to not price match but I recall stories of foreign tyres (Romanian iirc) flooding UK from a while back.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 10th Sep 2010 at 01:08
jim01uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
I think matey at protyre is bitter that camskill pwn in the tyre market.
Posted 10th Sep 2010 at 01:31
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
jim01uk wrote:
I think matey at protyre is bitter that camskill pwn in the tyre market.

You think Laugh He still gave me a discount which after including the fitting charge per tyre wasn't actualy much difference. I roll on 55's not the cheap shit 50's

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 10th Sep 2010 at 01:35