displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Swapping / removing window glass
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Took the door cards off today to see how to remove the side window glass, but couldn't really see what was going on. It doesn't help that someone has previously ruined anything electrical on the car, and some cable ties and cardboard later, I'm struggling to see how to get the glass out.

I'm replacing the glass with lexan, so need to get it out whole.

Has anyone removed the windows before? There are a few things on search but they're mostly to do with replacing the plastic clips, not removing the entire thing.

If anyone's done it before I'd like a few hints if you don't mind!

Cheers
O.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 02:35
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
The glass is cliped onto a grey window clip in the runner at the back of the door, fixed near the top of the glass, and a green one at the bottom attached to the regulator. There's a white plastic guide just behind the speaker too.

Pop the clips off and just slide the glass upwards out of the door, rotating it towards the front of the car slightly to get a better angle, and pull the black weather strips off at the base of the glass Thumbs up

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 03:08
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
PS it's dark outside now. Save the planet, turn off your floodlight and go to bed LOL

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 03:08
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Ha! Cheers matey, must admit I stopped when it got dark (plus it was the missus first day in a new job and she got home), but it's now 7:15am and I'm up and making up for lost time!

So just the two clips in all? And the window presumably needs to be down to get to both, or does the bottom clip require the glass to be up?

Just trying to get a rough idea, got some polycarb turning up today/tomorrow so need to get the old ones out, cut the lexan then get it back in without issue, else I'm in for a very windy drive home Wink

Cheers matey.

Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 12:15
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Right mate, this CAN be a pain in the arse first time, but ill try explain.

1. First take off your door card.
2. Remove foam pannels covering the holes in the door.
3. Wind window down untill you can see the green clip and rubber grommit attaching the window to the mechanism.
4. Now pull the vertical door seal out and seperate it so you can see the grey clip attached to it in the top left (looking from inside)
5. Remove clip from seal (whilst still attached to window if necassary.
6. Where the green clip is visible in the lower part of the door, feel behind the window. There is a rubber grommit attaching the green clip to the window. In the said gromit there is a brass clip which should be removed (slide out) and then simply pull the window away from the green clip towards you. *note that this can be fiddly, it is possible to pull the window away without removing the brass clip by applying steadily increasing force. This should cause no damage to either the window or the mechanism. This is what i did anyway Smile
6. The window should now be free, It will still be located in the guide at the front of the door pannel however its just a case of slowly lifting it out.

Although the windows are a terrible design (in my opinion at least) they are not especially hard to fix. These steps may sound complicated but they really aint. Hopefully someone slightly more knowledgeable will comment on your post to reinterate the points i have made. Good luck dude. Hope this helps.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 8th Sep 2010 at 00:51
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Cheers mate, that's exactly what I needed, especially as cwspellowe was inconsiderate enough to get himself banned before replying to me Wink

Hopefully I'll be doing this tomorrow, I'll try and get some pictures if I can in case anyone needs it for the future.

Cheers matey.

Posted 8th Sep 2010 at 00:54
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Ill get some pictures on the forum and probably write an FAQ this weekend. Hopefully i was of some use mate. Smile Let us know how you get on.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 8th Sep 2010 at 01:15
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Turned out to be different on each side, due to some tit of a previous who screwed the passenger side so decided to stick the window back in with cardboard and glue.

In order to get that side out I removed said cardboard and mastic, and the glass just came straight out Big grin

The driver's side I lowered about half way, removed the metal clip from the back of the green clip to get that one off. I then yanked on the glass until the side clip snapped off.

Job done, yee ha Big grin

Posted 13th Sep 2010 at 17:31