displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Rust on the roof?
dan_s16

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
My S16 has been SORN since the end of May, after I parked it up I washed it off and noticed a couple of tiny spots on the roof that didn't look right, one near the sun roof and one near the windscreen seal.

I was checking over the car earlier and noticed that these spots are now bubbling up so I have rust forming on the roof. I know phase 1s in particular are prone to the roof rusting.

My question is, whats the best thing to do to it? Obviously I would like to stop it getting any worse at the least and preferable fix it at least well enough to get a body shop to repair/ spray it once the cars back on the road.

Would a chip/scratch repair place be able to sort them on the drive?

When I've got time I forget what I wanted to do, and when I remember what I wanted to do, I have no time!
Posted 3rd Sep 2010 at 00:20
mr swampy s16

**BAD SELLER**

Post #2
Hmm mine did the same.
I used a fibreglass pen to rub the rust back, and then some jenolite to treat it.
But as fast as you cure one patch another forms
Posted 3rd Sep 2010 at 00:42
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
its where the sunroof frame is spotwelded on, my brother's car is also a P1 with a sunroof, and there's a big fecking hole there!

not seen a non-sunroof P1 rust on its roof yet, but they are fairly rare as most had them apart from 6's and VERY basic spec cars.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 3rd Sep 2010 at 00:56
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
^^This.

They welded the sunroof in after the zinc coating, farking idiots.
Hence they rust all the way through from inside out.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 6th Sep 2010 at 00:41
dan_s16

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
hmmmm, thats not good then. Guess I've got some more thinking to do then on whether to keep her or break her and save up for something else Sad

When I've got time I forget what I wanted to do, and when I remember what I wanted to do, I have no time!
Posted 6th Sep 2010 at 00:59
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
re-skin the roof with a non sunny panel Thumbs up

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 6th Sep 2010 at 01:10
dan_s16

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Thats an option but with all the other bits that need doing I'm not sure it's worth it, It needs new discs and pads on the front, new cam belt etc, the suspension really needs over hauling and it's too low so need to get it raised at the same time plus the ezhaust needs some work (pug sport but it's gotten louder than it was when I first got it, think it could do with repacking if it's possible).

I'm skint though so it's a case of having to save up to do any thing to it and then is it really worth it on a 14 yr old car? I love the way it looks and goes when it's sorted but being unemployed for a while took it's toll on the car Sad

Posted 6th Sep 2010 at 01:27
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #8
you could say that about any older car tbh, though any car will need stuff like discs and pads etc.

wont need owt doing to the roof for a while though, doesnt look too bad at all.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 6th Sep 2010 at 01:29
dan_s16

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Yeah I know, just annoyed with my self for letting her get in that state but when I was unemployed I was just doing the minimum I could to keep her going. My own fault for having Brembos that seem to be the only set that don't squeal, the discs aren't cheap.

How much roughly should reskining the roof cost?

Posted 6th Sep 2010 at 01:36