displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: Steering column *dimensions needed*
mabgti

NV motors

Post #1
This is a tricky one!

In the midst of fitting the new suede steering wheel I noticed a bit of a problem!

A few weeks back I took the std steering wheel off for security purposesNinja only to find metal shavings in the cowl from the rear of the alloy hub on standard steering wheel... I thought nothing of it as i presumed it must've been when I tightened the wheel previously.

Fitting the seering wheel boss and wheel and went to turn the wheel only to find it grinding away at point (B )..

Causing the hub to lose some metal too..

I thought this was well odd so i had a gander on the web to find a pic of another column on the heater matrix faq..

Looking at the two pics was hard to figure out what was wrong.. only did i realise that the column was set further in shaft!! Point (A) shows this!

So i set about column removal.. it was at PEUGEOT dealers for a brake pedal switch change last year.. i remember them taking a considerable amount of time as they had to take the column out apparently to get to itHuh?

I went to unbolt it, and it looked like the nuts werent even the right ones... the tilt adjuster nuts were on the main securing plate for the column and vice versaAngry. Gave it a push and realised that the internal shaft had a degree of play to affect the point (A) but ultimately the column to pivot joint as secured too short!!

So now i need to find out what length(mm) to secure the rack joint at (measure of tip of column to metal column sleeve), and the column location using measurements from the sides to the securing plate..

Can someone get me these meausrements from an unmolested 306 please... ie one that hasnt had a pug monkey play with it!

just for future reference..
{Steering column mounting nut.........17nm
Steering column shaft-to-Intermediate shaft univarsal joint clamp bolt...........20nm
Steering gear mounting bolts.........50nm
Steering intermediate shaft-to-steering gear pinion universal joint nut............25nm
Steering wheel nut . .................35nm}

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
Automotive Performance Tuning
0121 448 7515
ECU Remapping/ DPF removal
VAG/BMW Diag and Option Coding
Peugeot Planet ECU coding/transponder programming etc
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 29th Aug 2010 at 07:39
mabgti

NV motors

Post #2
I know its a bank holiday weekend, but i would appreciate it if someone could measure me © (D) and (E) from their 306.. beer awaits Big grin

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
0121 448 7515
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 29th Aug 2010 at 07:14
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
loosen the pinch bolt on the column, fit the wheel then give it a tug towards you till it doesnt rub

edit, or RTFM Razz

says fit the wheel (to correct torque) then as above, tug it till the gap is 2mm to the top of the steering column tube from the lower edge of the steering wheel.

then remove steering wheel and re-assemble instruments and cowlings airbag wiring etc, then refit wheel.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 29th Aug 2010 at 14:27
mabgti

NV motors

Post #4
i hear yah.. done now.. just would've been easier with some factory measurements..

Dont forget in production there is a nylon jig to line up the column with intermediate shaft and brace.

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
0121 448 7515
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 29th Aug 2010 at 21:53