displaying posts 1 to 23 of 23

Author Subject: Poly rear screens
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Does anyone know of anywhere that sells these? I know plastics4performance do a kit, but I don't need sides.

As the car is purely a track slag I really don't care how it looks - once the rear screen's off is there a flat (enough) surface that I could just stick a flat sheet of polycarb on? Or would it need to bend through too many planes to sit straight?

Taar.
O.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 26th Aug 2010 at 17:34
chrisd306

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
take old screen out and clamp plastic to it, then stick it in a powder coaters or a painting booth to heat it so that it moulds to the shape of the orginal glass, or just buy a fiberglass boot an stick a flat sheet in it, why dont you need the sides?

In my garage just now

2003 BMW M3 & 2009 L200 Raging Bull
& Audi Q5 S Line
AX stock rod & Saxo Stock rod
Sold the bike an charged rallye an bought a caravan, midlife crisis or what!
Posted 26th Aug 2010 at 18:19
rikky 🦔

Post #3
they sell the rear screen on it's own yanno ... LOL

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 26th Aug 2010 at 18:34
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Cheers Rikky, I've already sent them an email to ask how much it'd be, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. But yes, I'd thought of that ta Wink

Chris - How hot would it have to get to remould itself? Surely it'd have to get silly hot? I don't need the sides as those I certainly can make myself out of flat sheet and a dremel Wink

Posted 26th Aug 2010 at 18:38
rikky 🦔

Post #5
you can just get some poly sheet and rivet it if you want. depends how arsed about water getting in you are. i much prefer the formed polycarb ones to flat sheet simply riveted, but then again i wanted mine looking tidy aswell as doing the job of saving weight

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 26th Aug 2010 at 18:45
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Well yeah that's it, if simple sheet will do but look a bit tatty then I'm kinda fine with that, I'm not sure it's going to be winning any "Best Kept Car" awards any time soon.

Annoyingly people like Spoox only sell P2/3 tailgates, don't suppose anyone knows anywhere who does P1 ones? I know James(?) might be making some in the For Sale section but it's always the P2/3 stuff that's in the most demand, so there are still a fair few P1 parts he doesn't have moulds for.

Posted 26th Aug 2010 at 18:48
rikky 🦔

Post #7
i thought the p2/p3 hatch fitted the p1? it's only the rear wash that's different isn't it?

Posted 26th Aug 2010 at 18:57
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
If I knew how to do a shrug smiley, I'd do it now to demonstrate my cluelessness.

Posted 26th Aug 2010 at 18:59
rikky 🦔

Post #9
Unsure

Posted 26th Aug 2010 at 19:01
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Yeah that one's not bad, I'd say that's more a kind of fear/anxiety rather than cluelessness though.

I would like to go for one of the FG ones, but even if they fitted Spoox ones are £300, which I can't really justify right now.

Would you say the tailgate would have a flat *enough* surface to attach sheet to once the glass is removed, or would there literally be half-inch gaps everywhere? Annoyingly I can't see without removing the glass, by which point it's a bit late Wink

Cheers for the help.
O .

Posted 26th Aug 2010 at 19:13
rikky 🦔

Post #11
you would cut it to shape and feed it under the plastic surround around the window and pack a load of sealant in there aswell as rivets or whatever, i don't know about rivetting FG though. FG worries me a bit because of how it snaps apart under force so i am reluctant [but will try] to get an FG bonnet and attach 4x pins to it for this very reason

Posted 26th Aug 2010 at 19:21
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Yeah must admit I'd considered that, I've done a few practises at rivetting my plastic sides in just as the plastic likes to crack as the rivet pops.

I might have a look at the weekend and see how much of the internal steel could be removed from the bootlid...

Posted 26th Aug 2010 at 19:38
rikky 🦔

Post #13
a fair bit can Yes i have single skinned it and retained the std lock mechanism [well, operates with the key, removed all central locking parts from it]. it's very light with the poly rear window too now Big grin

Posted 26th Aug 2010 at 20:49
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Sounds like a plan, reckon I'll do that. Angle grinder mania until very little is left, then a sheet of polycarb for now.

Good to know you can keep the lock in there, I'll be doing that too.

Cheers again.
O.

Posted 27th Aug 2010 at 00:13
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Ooh, ooh, had a thought. I don't suppose you could post me some pictures of how much you've taken off could you Rikky? I'd be a lot happier knowing exactly what could be removed without it becoming too flimsy and not closing properly.

I know it's a pain in the ass taking photos for people and I apologise, but it'd be pretty handy if you could.

Cheers
O.

Posted 27th Aug 2010 at 12:57
rikky 🦔

Post #16
sorry, forgot to reply, yeah i'll get a photo but it's gonna be tomorrow Yes i took a fair bit out, but there's still some to come out

Posted 27th Aug 2010 at 22:03
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
get a proper formed one dude a flat piece of polycarb will look shit I had the kit from P4P and it was top notch he put the black edges on it so it looked stock Cool
Posted 28th Aug 2010 at 00:05
rallye1999

Senior User

Post #18
I sent an email last night to p4p to ask how much for the rear 3 windows , I'm planning on getting the rears and fronts from separate companies to make it cheaper
Posted 28th Aug 2010 at 14:42
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
I got a reply from p4p yesterday, rear screen alone is £250 inc vat and a border. I appreciate a flat one will look shit but this is purely a track car, nothing else. £250 versus £20? Might as well give it a try.

Rikky - that'd be great, cheers.

Posted 28th Aug 2010 at 17:06
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
Rikky - this is me being annoying and reminding you that you promised me a picture and so are now legally bound to provide one.

Cheers!

Posted 1st Sep 2010 at 01:12
rallye1999

Senior User

Post #21
had a reply from p4p today, rear ¼'s and rear windows wilt borders in 4mm clear, £225 +vat, so considdering the borders are £45 there knocking £100 off for not having the fronts (which would cost another £45 on top to have sliders added)and im ordering the fronts from acw, for £105, should save around £70 Big grin
Posted 1st Sep 2010 at 04:37
mjt4130

Regular

Post #22
has anyone had dealings with ACW tony wright plastics?
Posted 1st Sep 2010 at 05:05
rallye1999

Senior User

Post #23
mjt4130 wrote:
has anyone had dealings with ACW tony wright plastics?

quite a few lads off northloop have and are pleased with them, least there prices arent plus vat lol, as long as its the same materiel and lazer cut shud be pretty much the same
Posted 1st Sep 2010 at 13:34