displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: Raspy exhaust
monkgti

Regular

Post #1
well lads, ive put a decat on my 6, left the rest of the exhaust standard and thers a nice rasp out of it at about 2-4 thousand rpm, im just wondering does anyone know what it would sound like with the decat and a straight pipe taking out the centre box so just a straight pipe into the standard back box? the reason im asking is i want a nice bit of rasp out of it but dont want it loud as the cops around here give an awful lot of hassel over loud exhausts...

IF YOU CAN READ THIS IM STILL IN 5TH!!!
Posted 25th Aug 2010 at 00:18
anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I think you'd end up buggering the back box up if you done that.
Posted 25th Aug 2010 at 22:21
bobdylan_55

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
^^ why? itll be fine, on most of my cars i rag the cat and centre box off. on my 309 turbo i have just a straight through pipe and backbox.

309 GTi6-T
Posted 25th Aug 2010 at 22:28
dalton88

Post #4
i had a decat and the centre box taken out with a standard back box it sounded really raspy but wasnt really loud.
Posted 26th Aug 2010 at 03:52
maz-306-xs

Senior User

Post #5
I've recently been toying with different exhaust setups and in my honest opinion I think the midbox is unnecessary and the cat is down to personal choice. I was running a devil decat to magnex 2.5inch cat back with the midbox removed and a 4inch tail pipe! It was redicilous, I've now
Put the cat back in and it's alot quieter, it's still fairly raspy but not as boomy and hollow sounding, ideally I'd like a 3inch tip again, but really I want something that isn't magnex.

Play around and find a setup you like bud

banned for drifting. back in the s**tbox scene.
Posted 26th Aug 2010 at 04:02
maz-306-xs

Senior User

Post #6
Just to add, the raspiest exhaust I've heard on a six is a video on YouTube, type in 'gti6 sebring' it's of a car blasting around a car park, sounds lovely. But Sebring aren't cheap.

Posted 26th Aug 2010 at 04:05
monkgti

Regular

Post #7
ahh now that sounds lovely alright Yes

another thing ive been wondering as im hoping to either supercharge my own car in the future or else buy one already done, are all the supercharged ones loud? like do they need to have a full exhaust system to run proper, as all the vids ive seen of them are really loud and i know if i had one id be getting nothing but hassel from the cops around here every time i drive itSad

would they run ok with say just a decat or strait pipe and standard back box or do they need a full exhaust to run proper? i know it would reduce the power but would it be by much?

Posted 27th Aug 2010 at 17:02
monkgti

Regular

Post #8
anyone???

Posted 31st Aug 2010 at 16:59
maz-306-xs

Senior User

Post #9
I think the charged sixes are fairly loud and there's a thread on here where they discuss their exhaust setups. I think most aftermarket systems will be fine with the supercharged engine although you need the ecu mapped to the system you use.

I want to try a full straight through system to a magnex backbox with a 2inch peashooter tip, but I I'm not sure on the effects it would have on the engine.

Posted 4th Sep 2010 at 17:17
monkgti

Regular

Post #10
i wonder would it work ok on a a fairly standard system though? say with a decat or straight pipe into standard back box, personally id like it loud like on all the vids ive seen of them but i know the cops over here wont and thats the only problem Angry

Posted 5th Sep 2010 at 00:35