displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: What order to carry out Engine work
gti-dan

Regular

Post #1
Looking at getting some larger cut-outs in my pistons (and possibly a bit of head work). What do people reckon would be the best way of doing this:

A) Take my engine out, take pistons out, get them cut and any other work done, and put back in.
B ) Buy some 2nd hand OE pistons get them cut and then take engine out get all work done and put engine back in.
C) Buy a 2nd engine and get all work done and then put into car, sell 1st engine.

I know they are all pretty similar, the main thing I want to avoid is the car and engine sitting around doing nothing, and me getting sick of the project, which I know happens to a lot of people because the spec tends to grow and grow and take longer and longer.

Also, im thinking that if I buy a 2nd hand set of pistons they might not fit the bores properly.

2nd hand engine – its an unknown quantity – may be issues with it, but at least allows all work to be done first and then a quick swap.
Posted 17th Aug 2010 at 22:50
berger

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
#1 buy supercharger.
#2 enjoy.

Bang'in 7 gram rocks!
I have one gear, GO!
Posted 17th Aug 2010 at 22:54
jonnie205

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
best buy another engine and swap them, you will find the work takes much longer than expected plus you can then sell your std lump
Posted 17th Aug 2010 at 23:28
309btcc

**DODGY SELLER**

Post #4
daveyboy has got some pistons he may sell and pug-performance can do your head work they get good gains from what they do mate..
Posted 18th Aug 2010 at 01:27