displaying posts 1 to 21 of 21

Author Subject: Advice Needing - Replacing ARB myself
gti-dan

Regular

Post #1
Right after trying unsuccessfully to find someone near me to replace the arb i am having a go myself. I know it shouldnt be too diffult but just want to be armed with the right info first.

I have got it up on axel stands tonight and got the wheels off.

Working on the near side i removed the black plastic plug on the right and the bolt on the left which also secures the handbrake cable.

Where do i go from here?!?!

How d?o i get the arb out. I thought you pushed it out with an M12 x 1.5 bolt, but that is just to remove the end plate isnt it?

It is one of Ash's hybrid arb's going back in, will i need to replace the yellow seal and black bush (shown on welshpugs beam refurb FAQ) or is it ok to reuse?

Does it matter which end the thicker side of the arb goes in to?

And lastly - do people go to great lengths to ensure that both wheels are at an equal level before effectively tying them together with the arb? or would it be enough to just to measure up from the floor to the hub?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Cheers,

Dan
Posted 7th Aug 2010 at 02:13
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
yep, remove the end plate off the drivers/RH side, then on the nearside remove 13mm bolt and pull the ARB out.

easy as that.

ideally you need to replace the yellow seal, they're often well past it by now.

the end plates will only go on the ARB one way as they have 30 splines on one end and 32 on the other, which is which I can;t remember, but keep the l/h plate fully pulled onto the splines, and use the R/H to set the clearance to the seals (0.5mm per side)

don't measure from the floor to the hub, the floor probably wont be flat LOL

just ensure that there is no preload on the ARB when you fit the two 13mm bolts, if there is then either the trailing arms are not equal heights, or the ARB needs rotating till you find the splines that line up, stock ARB's have a notch on the l/h that you line up with the end plate to ensure this, but I doubt any aftermarket bars have this unless you buy Peugeot or Citroen sport ones.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 7th Aug 2010 at 02:23
gti-dan

Regular

Post #3
Right - managed to get half an hour on it today. Removed the driver's side end plate. Pulled the near side end plate and ARB out.

SO...I presume i use the 12mm bolt again to push the nearside endplate off the oe ARB.

Only worry i have is how am i going to get the end plates on the hybrid ARB??? Im pretty certain there isnt an 8mm hole in the end to pull the plate on with!

Also i gave the end plates a clean and made sure i was trying to put the right end in the right end plate just to see if i could push it on, and it didnt feel like it'd ever go on, even plulling it on with a bolt?!?!?!

Finally pretty sure there were no seals on it either.
Posted 9th Aug 2010 at 02:44
gti-dan

Regular

Post #4
nobody?

all i want to know is:

how do i get the hybrid ARB on when there is no screw hole for the 8mm bolt to pull it on, and it feels like it wouldnt push on in a million years.

Do i just use the 12mm bolt to push the nearside plate off? as i did with the drivers side?

And lastly - i have bought the bushes and seals to replace - are the bushes easy enough to remove and fit new ones? there were no seals on it to start with so dont know if there is anything to consider with them.

Just want to know so i can get it done, only have a few hours sat morning to get it done.

CHEERS!
Posted 12th Aug 2010 at 23:55
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Hi Dan

I just fitted one of the hybrid bars to mine, but I had the entire rear beam off the car at the time. The ends need to be hammered on with a big club hammer, don't expect them to just slide on. As there is a different number of splines on either end you need to do a test fit first to make sure the two ends are both at the same angle, then mark then up.

The hybrid ARB will only go in from one side, so make sure you'll be putting it in the right way then hammer on the end you can. Slide it in with one end on, then get the other end on.

As I said I can't comment on getting them on really as mine was off the car, but I'd suspect it's a case of bolting the arb endplate on at one end, then hammering on the second end plate.

And yes to get the old plates off just use the 12mm bolt again.

Bushes literally just pull out of the ends, as so the yellow seals - they'll just make sense when you see them.

Best of luck!

O.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 13th Aug 2010 at 00:24
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
I'd not fitted one till last Monday,

They are a bit naff in that respect that they havent the M8 thread, I can't understand why they didn't add them as they're tooled up to do them as they make torsion bars too Huh? lazy ass engineers!

Also I felt that the splines could have done with being a little more rounded on their tops, as they were an excessively tight fit and a right bugger to get the splines lined up and started, not an issue with the o.e bar.

I thought I'd had the plates on right but obviously what I'd used to gauge it can't have been flat, as they were ever so slightly off when I went to fit it into the beam (I did check the trailing arms were level!)

When I went to draw the end plate off the ARB the threads just pulled out of the ARB!

not impressed Dry thankfully it wasn't miles off and filing the side of the hole in the ARB plate allowed the M8 bolt to go in without preload.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 13th Aug 2010 at 00:39
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Agreed, it certainly seemed harder than it needed to be. There's snug, and then there's just the wrong size Wink

Posted 13th Aug 2010 at 00:49
gti-dan

Regular

Post #8
Cheers for the advice - I wonder why they have made them like that! Ridiculous really.

I thnk ill give the sockets a real good clean out, clean off the splines on the ARB, bang some grease on and belt it on.

Hope it doesnt damage the plate on the other side when im hitting the second plate on.

Can imagine it never lining up to.

TBH even when i had the OE ARB on, they were under a bit of preload - had to jack the trailing arm up a bit to get the 8mm bolt back in.
Posted 13th Aug 2010 at 01:12
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Put a bit of wood over the endplate before hammering it with a club hammer, you won't damage it at all.

Took me a good quarter of an hour of trial and error to get the ends lined up, so just be patient and you'll get there in the end. And yes, you'll need to jack up the arms a little, but that's not an issue.

O.

Posted 13th Aug 2010 at 02:48
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #10
I didn't jack the arms at all.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 13th Aug 2010 at 02:58
gti-dan

Regular

Post #11
cheers for the advice Owain. - u liking your filter? I honestly think it has given quite me noticable gains, but i had a new exhaust and sports cat fitted at the same time so i dont really know.

I will put a block of wood over the end plate, but i actually didnt mean that, i mean the other one, once you have one secured it in the beam and 8mm bolt in, then you go round the other side and start belting the end plate on - that force is gonna travel down the ARB and potentially bend the far end plate???? maybe?
Posted 13th Aug 2010 at 05:29
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Hi mate

Yeah, the filter is awesome, ballache to fit but that was expected.

I secured one end then smacked the other one on, and it didn't bend the other endplate. It's worth checking every few whacks though Wink

Oh, and if you're replacing the bolts that hold on the endplate make sure you've got at least 8.8 high tensile ones, else it might just shear off when you hammer the other end on.

Posted 13th Aug 2010 at 12:50
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
I fitted an ARB one a few weeks ago, when i was whacking the second end plate on we had tightened the bolt on the first end, then i got Rob to hold a big block of wood (4"x4" or so, wooden fence post) against the first end plate whilst i held a smaller block of wood against the second end plate and hammered it on. My theory was that the fence post would take the impact and cause less damage to the first end plate Smile

Goldie the track car.
Posted 13th Aug 2010 at 21:49
gti-dan

Regular

Post #14
Right cheers for the advice guys - managed to fit it yesterday. When i was hammering the first end on i was thinking there is no chance i am going to get this on the other end - as it is obviously a lot more awkward to do once its in situ and you are working under the car.

Anyway i must have been lucky because the second one went striaght on - only about 5 minutes of whacking rather than 30!

To prevent the bolt shearing off the other side i clamped the end plate to the trailing arm with a joiners clamp.

Bushes were completely shot - they were stuck inside when i pulled the bar out so fitted new bushes and seals.

Yet to drive it and feel the difference as i've still got a bonnet to fit!
Posted 15th Aug 2010 at 18:07
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Ah good work my man! Easy when you've got a bit hammer.

Posted 15th Aug 2010 at 21:49
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
if i had to lift the trailing arm up to get the 13mm bolt hole on the end plate lined up to the hole in the trailing arm, would thios mean the end plate was fitted wrong and there will be tension on the arb?

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 16th Aug 2010 at 00:56
gti-dan

Regular

Post #17
how much did you have to jack it up? in principle yes that would mean there was preload but im sure a little bit wouldnt matter - you would end up with a bit anyway due to any differences in your dampers / torsion bars etc.

Having said that - unless you knew both trailing arms were at exactly the same height before you started one could have just been a bit lower.
Posted 16th Aug 2010 at 01:06
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #18
there shouldn't be any differences is the point Smile

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 16th Aug 2010 at 05:55
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Quite Smile

As Welshpug says they should be the same once bolted in - this doesn't necessarily bear any relation to whether or not they need jacking up, as long as they're equal once tightened. Do the bolts up loosely and measure from a point on the hub to the bottom of the arch - as long as this measurement is the same on both sides you're golden. If they're not, start again Wink

O.

Posted 16th Aug 2010 at 13:01
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #20
yes, you need to get the height closer.

is the arb stock? you are taking the right hand end plate off yes?

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 28th Feb 2013 at 20:16
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Yes mate it is an issue! As I told you the beam you had off me was set properly and equally.

if you have adjusted the torsion bar on one side only to try and get the car to sit level, then you have a problem elsewhere

and by altering your beam height from what you requested, then any warranty I would of given is now void

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 28th Feb 2013 at 20:20