displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Airbag circuit: which one's which?
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #1
I know there's numerous threads relating to airbag light issues but I need info that I've not found in any of them so far.

Recently I've had the light flash once the car's started and it's unsightly and annoying at night.

Now, the light that flashes is the left hand one that has the text 'airbag' (not the middle one with the image of two people, side airbags and seat belts). This is number 21 on the dash guide in the original handbook that came with my 6.

Years ago when I bought the car, I carried out the obligatory under-seat repair of the wiring connectors and didn't have problems for ages. But what I'm wondering is, beacuse the light is the 'airbag' one, does this mean it's only flagging up issues with the front 2 airbags?

If it was the common problem with the under-seat wiring, wouldn't it be the other airbag light that flashes? Given that's the one for the side airbags!?

If the the lights do relate to their respective circuits, then I assume my problem is going to be that circular sensor behind the steering wheel. Is that likely? And if so does anyone know what they cost? I'm braced for penetration by my local baguette-munching car sales operation Dry

And no, I'm not taking the bulb out LOL
Posted 4th Aug 2010 at 03:16
will130787

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
It could be the connectors for the pass side airbag, which are behind the glovebox?1 Had this with mine, reconnected them all, now need to do the under seat wiring LOL

Ex Astor 6 owner Sad

Also an Ex owner of a Bianca 6 Sad

Now an ex owner of a 2005 9-3 2.0T 210bhp Aero Swedish Saloon thing!! Soon to be 250bhp.... Superman

Now driving Mk5 Golf GTTdi, mile muncher

But still live for the 306 Ninja
Posted 4th Aug 2010 at 16:23
anderoo

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
On mine it flashed because the connector through the steering wheel broke. IIRC it's called a rotary switch.

If you can plug in a diagnostic machine it'll tell you which circuit is causing the problem.

Pics of my 6
My 6 on Google Video thanks to coxy306Xsi
Posted 4th Aug 2010 at 16:31
will130787

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I have a diag machine Tom, if your anywhere near me.....

Ex Astor 6 owner Sad

Now an ex owner of a 2005 9-3 2.0T 210bhp Aero Swedish Saloon thing!! Soon to be 250bhp.... Superman

Posted 4th Aug 2010 at 16:41
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #5
anderoo wrote:
On mine it flashed because the connector through the steering wheel broke. IIRC it's called a rotary switch.

If you can plug in a diagnostic machine it'll tell you which circuit is causing the problem.

Yeah this is what I'm beginning to think it is... I remembered after my post last night that servicebox also tells you prices; that rotary switch is about £121 IIRC!

will130787 wrote:
I have a diag machine Tom, if your anywhere near me.....

That's a decent offer, cheers Will Smile
Unfortunately I'm in Bournemouth, so not very local! Are those wires behind the glove box easy to get at?
Posted 4th Aug 2010 at 22:32
will130787

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
tompaltridge wrote:

That's a decent offer, cheers Will Smile
Unfortunately I'm in Bournemouth, so not very local! Are those wires behind the glove box easy to get at?

Yes

Take the glovebox out and there all part of a loom, can take a pic of mine if it helps?

Ex Astor 6 owner Sad

Posted 4th Aug 2010 at 22:47
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #7
Yeah that would be great mate, cheers Happy
Posted 4th Aug 2010 at 23:46
will130787

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
tompaltridge wrote:
Yeah that would be great mate, cheers Happy

I'll do it tomo morning Wink

Ex Astor 6 owner Sad

Posted 5th Aug 2010 at 03:39
will130787

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Here ya go;

Hope this helps Wink

Ex Astor 6 owner Sad

Posted 5th Aug 2010 at 14:50
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #10
Cheers for those pictures, I'll have a look at mine to see what state the connections are in... Cool
Posted 5th Aug 2010 at 22:58
glenn_addo

Regular

Post #11
I know thread revival......

What connectors have you replaced with bullet connectors in the pictures? Trying to sort my flashing airbag light and this is one set of connections I havent read about before

will130787 wrote:
Here ya go;

Hope this helps Wink
Posted 24th Jan 2012 at 23:17