displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: Idling problem
daveyboyholt

Regular

Post #1
I've been pulling my hair out recently because when the car is idling it has been reving up to about 1300-1700 revs and back down to normal. Never stalled though. It had a new MAP sensor for it's MOT. So I thought the obvious ICV. Changed it today and no change. Cue me scratching my head under the bonnet when I started hearing a relay click and then the engine revs rising. What the f*$k is that? Narrowed it down to a little relay in the small fuse box. Pulled it out and low and behold idling problem cured. Looked at the relay and it's got bitron written on it so I presuming it's got something to do with the fan control system? It must be shorting and causing a current surge hence the rise and fall in revs. Problem is I am guessing I've got no cooling fans with this relay pulled out? Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

To do list;
Timing belt
Rad fans
Steering rack
Clutch
Rear right caliper
Posted 20th Jul 2010 at 20:15
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #2
You need to do an ECU reset to get the ECU to reset the ICV to it's home position so try that first if you haven't already.

The relay is the air-con compressor relay and removing it won't affect the radiator fans.

The ECU does raise the idle when the air-con is switched on but I can't see how the relay causing unpredictable idle as it's the final stage before the compressor actually engages.

Very bizarre - try a new relay and see if anything changes.

Rich
Posted 20th Jul 2010 at 23:56
daveyboyholt

Regular

Post #3
I did the ECU reset forgot to mention that. Yeah it was bizarre! It was clicking every 2 to 3 seconds but my aircon doesn't work anyway so I will leave this off for now. Thanks for the info

To do list;
Timing belt
Rad fans
Steering rack
Clutch
Rear right caliper
Posted 21st Jul 2010 at 04:16
carlzxr

Post #4
hi ive gad the same prob with mine check the black box(resonator)under the inlet manifold mine was split and that was the prob
Posted 23rd Jul 2010 at 01:03