displaying posts 1 to 15 of 15

Author Subject: ABS light + weird issues
craigy_87

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
wasnt sure if i should stick this in the electrical section or not
have an issue just now where the ABS light will randomly light up and the car will jerk slightly
recently its also been making all the electrics start to "flicker" when it lights up

any ideas?
Posted 13th Jul 2010 at 23:40
craigy_87

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
quote:
Check the brake pad wear cable that runs from the pad to a plug somewhere on the brake housing. It is a simple circuit that completes when a metal pad in the brake pad makes contact with the brake disc and gives you a warning light when pads get near to replacement. You can get a false earth because the cable insulation has been cut or worn through and is making contact with the inside of the wheel rim, or another metal part of the suspension.

seen this post from another ABS light thread an its got me thinking, my pad wear cables have recently been moved an i think they have been rubbin on the inside of the wheel, should this be my first port of call?
Posted 13th Jul 2010 at 23:52
mpaul

Regular

Post #3
Those sensores would cause a different light toilluminate though, not the abs light.
Posted 14th Jul 2010 at 00:31
craigy_87

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
yeah thought that myself but thought i'd quote that post as it came from a thread about ABS light being on

another thing to mention is the cover thing for one of the abs sensors broke an is no longer there
Posted 14th Jul 2010 at 01:01
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Pad wear sensors? Moved? Whistle

Check your ABS sensors, from what I remember of yours they were rusty as hell, could be causing a short flickering the light on. Possibly.

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 14th Jul 2010 at 01:45
stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
The ABS light on mine kept lighting up after I had got it back on the road after a few months standing on axle stands.

It was sorted by cleaning up the earth points on both the ABS sensors. The covers were also missing so I think that probably contributed to the rustiness.

It's sorted for now, but I think the lack of covers will probably result in the same problem occurring again soon due to them being exposed to the elements all the time.
Posted 14th Jul 2010 at 02:02
mpaul

Regular

Post #7
wear are the earth points on the abs sensors?
Posted 14th Jul 2010 at 03:34
craigy_87

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
cwspellowe wrote:
Pad wear sensors? Moved? Whistle

LOL nice clean band on the inside of the alloy

so we're thinkin sensor for the light coming on what about the car jerking when it comes on and hesistating when everything flickers with it on?
also seems to do it on the same roads at the same parts Crazy
Posted 14th Jul 2010 at 04:33
craigy_87

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
well car hasnt been at the top of my to do list recently coupled with me not using too often and the problem not always happening means this problem still persists

it only seems to happen when i'm turning right, the car jerks and the ABS light comes on althought some times the car jerks in a similar way with no ABS light, the jerkin also coincides with the electrics flickering (lights, radio etc)

with the ABS light not always coming on i was just wondering if anythin else could be at fault aswell as one of the ABS sensors
Posted 12th Aug 2010 at 03:05
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Mine did something similar for a bit but seems to have stopped, when i was driving down the motorway at night, obviously with lights etc on, and indicated to change lanes, the engine kinda "popped" momentarily and lost power but literally for a split second.

It's stopped since I charged the battery though. Has your car been left standing a lot?

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 12th Aug 2010 at 03:43
craigy_87

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
not anymore than usual
bit weird it only happens when turning right though
Posted 13th Aug 2010 at 02:26
craigy_87

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
been using the search button an having a look about some other threads on here and keep reading stuff about the power steering sensor dont suppose this could have anythin to do with it?
Posted 13th Aug 2010 at 03:33
opbk

Post #13
I'm having a similar problem and the car has been on axle stands for a few months. Also getting some clunking from the front suspension so back up on the jack it goes...
Posted 30th Dec 2010 at 10:18
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Opbk is that a question or just a statement on an old thread? Razz LOL O/T are there many S16 / gti6 in Aus? question.... when buying cars in Aus what does it need to have to be road legal... just a Rego or? Confused random i know!

Sad Ex-Black 6 Ninja - Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.
Posted 30th Dec 2010 at 14:23
opbk

Post #15
Sorry about the slow reply, must have missed the alert email...

I got it back on the stands and but didn't get to have a proper look before I needed it. Have set tomorrow aside for it though.

In depends in Aus depending on which State or Territory you are in. In Victoria (Melbourne) you need a Road Worthy Certificate (RWC) from an authorised garage to get the car registered in your name. You don't need anything for registration renewal though. In New South Wales (Sydney) you need an RWC and I believe you also need to have the car checked in order to renew your registration.

I'm a bit of a sucker for old threads without a conclusion. Looks like there are a few things for me to check tomorrow, will be sure to post if I figure out what was causing the ABS light to come on.

On a side note, it's a nightmare to get an imported car registered in Australia. Going price for a '6 in Aus is about $8000 or 5000 pounds.
Posted 24th Jan 2011 at 09:23