displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: So how many of these are shot
mike306

Senior User

Post #1
Trying to find the cause of the highly annoying whirring sound from the aux belt: clicky

Also, something is wearing the belt down, as rubber particles keep collecting by the washer bottle filler cap. So I took the belt off to have a look at the pulleys. They all have a bit of side-side play in them, the A/C one being the worst. The guide pulley is very noisy when spun (think it's safe to say it'll definitely need replacing), the tensioner isn't as bad.

Anyway here's a few quick vids, what do you think?

A/C

Power steering (Looks like I had a spasm when testing this one LOL)

Guide pulley

Tensioner

High boost '6 for weekends
406 2.1 Executive for weekdays
Posted 13th Jul 2010 at 01:43
mike306

Senior User

Post #2
Soooo... I'm guessing everything's fine then? Unsure

High boost '6 for weekends
406 2.1 Executive for weekdays
Posted 15th Jul 2010 at 01:09
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #3
Guide pulley sounds rough as arseholes, but I don't know what you expect us to tell from jiggling the PAS pump back and forward like a palsy victim. You are looking for radial play in the spindle. If it has noticable up and down movent then the bearings are shot. Auto tensioner sounds OK but how did it feel to you? Gritty, wobbly? If so change it.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 15th Jul 2010 at 02:14
CUJ

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Mine was the aux belt tensioner on the Rallye Yes

The bearing went in it so had some play and was quite noisy too, like a whiney noise.

340 horses
Posted 15th Jul 2010 at 02:20