displaying posts 1 to 23 of 23

Author Subject: engine pinking
monkgti

Regular

Post #1
well lads, i recently got the head done on my car after a costly mistake Roll eyes its running quiter than ever now, while i was doing it i noticed the TPS was unplugged, when i plugged it back in the car kept cutting out, so i got a new one last week and put it on and now the car seems a bit slower at starting and also when on a hill in low revs the car is pinking slightly... now when the head was done first the car was starting and driving fine before i got the new sensor, so this has to be the problem, but does anyone know if its just that i got a dudd sensor or could there be somthing else connected to this problem??

IF YOU CAN READ THIS IM STILL IN 5TH!!!
Posted 12th Jul 2010 at 03:21
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
ecu reset?

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 12th Jul 2010 at 15:54
monkgti

Regular

Post #3
yep, did that after fitting the new sensor...

Posted 12th Jul 2010 at 17:00
monkgti

Regular

Post #4
any ideas??

Posted 14th Jul 2010 at 15:43
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #5
headgasket?

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 14th Jul 2010 at 16:30
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #6
Pinking is usually caused by poor fuel or a very lean mixture so if you're sure the fuel is okay it's probably worth having it put on diagnostics to get to the bottom of it.

Mixture control issues can be a headache to get to the bottom of through trial and error.

Rich
Posted 14th Jul 2010 at 16:45
monkgti

Regular

Post #7
head gasket just after been changed while i had the head off, got an uprated one off
Rich W Wink
yeah id say i may get it put on diagnostics, but im thinking its somthin to do with the TPS as its only started since i put on the new 1... but i wonder would there be a problem somewhere else or would i just be unlucky to have got a faulty sensor... would the TPS cause it to pink if faulty?

Posted 14th Jul 2010 at 18:57
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #8
It's unlikely it would affect the mixture enough to cause serious combustion issues, and even if it did you'd expect be looking at an enriched mixture as a result in most cases.

Rich
Posted 14th Jul 2010 at 19:03
bukosgti6

Regular

Post #9
sorry guys what colour clip is the tps
Posted 14th Jul 2010 at 19:04
dented_vts

Regular

Post #10
Is it pinking or real knocking you are hearing?

Mine pinks on 95RON.

Has the car had regular coolant changes? Has the rad been replaced? It maybe due to running a bit hot.
Posted 14th Jul 2010 at 19:36
monkgti

Regular

Post #11
just pinking, its only doing it in low revs say on a hill just for a second or 2 when i put the boot down... yep has had all coolant changed and always serviced every 5,000miles, and actually since ive had the head done it even seems to be running a slight bit cooler than before Huh?

Posted 14th Jul 2010 at 19:47
fletch

Track Head

Post #12
Fuel pump?
Posted 14th Jul 2010 at 19:46
dented_vts

Regular

Post #13
monkgti wrote:
just pinking, its only doing it in low revs say on a hill just for a second or 2 when i put the boot down... yep has had all coolant changed and always serviced every 5,000miles, and actually since ive had the head done it even seems to be running a slight bit cooler than before Huh?

i meant through its life has it had the coolant changed regularly? Just wondering if channels in block could be full of deposits etc.
Posted 14th Jul 2010 at 20:01
monkgti

Regular

Post #14
the only receit for coolant being changed is when the last belt was done, and its been changed now again when i dd the head and new water pump aswell, but it never ever pinked before, and even when the head was done on it i drove it and it was grand, igot the new TPS then 2 weeks ago and since then ive noticed the pinking thats why i thought it was that, i might disconnect it again just to see if it makes a diff... oh and another thing, since ive noticed the pinking it seems to turn over a bit longer aswell before it starts..

Posted 14th Jul 2010 at 20:28
skinnyman76

Regular

Post #15
would the timing not need adjusting? (assuming the head had a skim)

pug power !!!
i got the need for a 6 speed!!!
Posted 15th Jul 2010 at 02:05
matt.gti6

Regular

Post #16
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit monk, but thought it was best to join this one than start a new one!

I have a similar problem, which has started since I've had my supercharger conversion fitted (the one which was fitted to roberts306's BTCC rep).
When it was on his car it ran fine as long as it was run on V-power.

The kit was removed from his '6 engine, and fitted to mine. That means I've now got his chipped ECU, TPS, and IAT(??? the one on intake manifold) sensor. The car is pinking when you put your foot down quite a bit in 3rd gear and above, doesn't seem to do it in 1st/2nd.

I'm using V-power, and all traces of 95RON fuel should be gone by now. I guess I will need to get ECU/chip reprogrammed, but was surprised since the kit has been fitted to a pretty much identical engine. Any ideas on how to check/fix the problem? Or is it remap time? Is it worth plugging in a diagnostic tool to check for duff sensors? I have tried ECU reset, no real improvement. Is it worth fitting my original sensors?

Cheers
Posted 15th Jul 2010 at 03:27
matt.gti6

Regular

Post #17
Any ideas on this one? From a bit of research the most likely causes are:

- low octane fuel (i can eliminate this one!)
- high intake temperature (would be useful to check this somehow)
- faulty knock sensor (? - surely this would bring up engine management light on dash?)
- lean mixture (would be useful to measure lambda if I had the right sensor and gauge!)
- too far advanced ignition

Also, out of interest, are the Rich W S/C kits mapped specifically for Super Unleaded?
Posted 19th Jul 2010 at 18:23
roberts_306

Senior User

Post #18
Hi Matt

Has your problem been solved now as you stated in a text message to me that there was an airlock, hows it running now???

www.pugsport-racing.co.uk
Posted 20th Jul 2010 at 02:22
matt.gti6

Regular

Post #19
hey dave,
Yeah the pump sorted itself out fine after that one hiccup. My engine is pinking a bit, but only really once you're in 3rd and above. It's not major, I think it just needs a bit of looking at...it could be something simple like a duff sensor! I am enjoying the conversion though, power comes on so much lower down the revs than standard! and the sound is like nothing else you hear on the road Smile
Posted 20th Jul 2010 at 03:42
roberts_306

Senior User

Post #20
Yeah its great in a tunnel as well, I do miss the sound of it but cant wait for my Throttle Bodies, are u happy with it then I take??

www.pugsport-racing.co.uk
Posted 21st Jul 2010 at 22:06
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Could just be the cam timing slightly advanced as mine used to pink if it wasn't on SUL, which was pretty much all the time LOL

Nothing to see here
Posted 22nd Jul 2010 at 00:10
matt.gti6

Regular

Post #22
Definitely happy with the charger, and it does indeed sound very nice in tunnels Wink Once I've got cash I may look into remap/rolling road with a few upgrades (exhaust, injectors). Next on the list is tyres though, as my p6000's are looking pretty knack'd (as carl gkz206 will tell you!)
Posted 3rd Aug 2010 at 18:08
monkgti

Regular

Post #23
ok lads, just an update, i took out all sensors on throttle body yesterday and gave them a good clean with carb cleaner, put it back together and it seems to have sorted the slow starting problem!
but the pinking was still there, so today i disconnected the TPS and drove the car and sure enough the pinking is gone, so im guessing i got a faulty sensor or could there be somthing else related to it?

Posted 11th Aug 2010 at 17:38