displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Rear beam seized?
paulchin

Junior User

Post #1
I know it's difficult to sentence things without seeing/hearing them, but I am wondering if my rear beam is seized - it seems to bang whenever I go over a reasonable bump in the road. Speed humps are especially noticeable.

It feels like the wheel can't return to the ground fast enough? Hence me wondering if something has seized up in the beam - the car doesn't get a lot of use, being a second car (maybe 3,000 miles max per year).

I thought it was stuff in the boot, but it still does it now with the boot completely empty Sad

Is there something obvious I can look for with the beam still on the car, or must I remove it to be able to condemn it?

Any help gratefully received.
Posted 9th Jul 2010 at 19:13
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
sounds more likely to be the front beam mountings.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 9th Jul 2010 at 19:31
paulchin

Junior User

Post #3
Now you've got me - front beam?

Or do you mean the front mounts of the rear beam Huh?

Beam off job to check, or not?
Posted 9th Jul 2010 at 19:50
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #4
the second bit you said LOL

you can't really check them, or rather you can but the amount of time and labour to do so may as well be invested in actually replacing the mounts.

when the beam bearings themselves go they don't tend to cause any knocking noises at all, more creaking and groaning, sometimes the odd pin from an ARB end plate moving about.

I'd recommend either Lemforder or Motaquip items, or go direct to Peugeot for them.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 9th Jul 2010 at 20:02
paulchin

Junior User

Post #5
Brilliant - thanks for that.

It would also explain why the car has started "creaking" whenever I get in or out with it parked nose-down a slope - it used to do this before I replaced the rear discs, and then stopped once I did those so assumed it was them. But it's started doing it again now, and the rear discs are fine, so maybe it's these mounts.

Thanks again for the replies.
Posted 9th Jul 2010 at 20:17
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
creaking is likely to be the rear brakes allowing the car to move ever so slightly.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 9th Jul 2010 at 20:40