displaying posts 1 to 1 of 1

Author Subject: Gearbox removal
opbk

Post #1
Hi all,

I've followed the guide for removing the gearbox/clutch and it went swimmingly until it came time to actually get the box out. It simply doesn't fit between the air filter canister at the front of the engine bay, and the suspension/chassis at the back of the engine bay.

Basically, the box is completely removed but sitting in the bay wedged on top of those two.

The car's an Australian GTi6 - I was just wondering if anyone knew if these are different and any tricks that might help... Getting the air filter canister out is looking to be a serious pain in the *ss!

EDIT: I pulled the plastic panel under the left front bumper out so I could get at the nuts holding the air filter canister in place. It's out now, just waiting on a second pair of hands before having another go at the box...

EDIT 2: Got the box out, took the clutch off and the flywheel looks fine as does the clutch. At least to my in-experienced eyes. Mate'll come have a look this evening. I'm guessing it has to have been the clutch cable or maybe the thrust bearing - mechanic told me it was definitely the clutch though the tosser.

The symptoms were:

Pretty serious shuddering if you tried to feed power in at friction - a few revs, bring it to friction and let it sort itself out. Was a little like driving a crash box.
Vague friction point - anywhere over about 3 or 4 inches of pedal travel
Became more and more difficult to engage first and reverse
Would shift perfectly if you were going fast, sticky and clunky if you were going slow.
Felt like you were shoving your foot into a bucket of tar.

Anyone point me in a direction?
Posted 7th Jul 2010 at 08:32