Regular

Post #1
Much cheaper but are they as good?
Posted 24th Jun 2010 at 15:30
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
not bad, but not perfect.

I've found Arvin Meritor to be closer to o.e spec.

depends if you are keeping the car and want it standard or not, if you are and do, I would get o.e.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 24th Jun 2010 at 15:34
dented_vts

Regular

Post #3
welshpug! wrote:
not bad, but not perfect.

I've found Arvin Meritor to be closer to o.e spec.

depends if you are keeping the car and want it standard or not, if you are and do, I would get o.e.

Arvin- is that as in the Walker brand?
Posted 24th Jun 2010 at 15:34
barry.rs

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
The Timax replacement mid and backbox for my old 6 was of good quality and fit.
Posted 24th Jun 2010 at 15:37
dented_vts

Regular

Post #5
barry.rs wrote:
The Timax replacement mid and backbox for my old 6 was of good quality and fit.

Did it sound the same as a genuine one?
Posted 24th Jun 2010 at 15:38
barry.rs

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Yes

Posted 24th Jun 2010 at 15:40
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #7
Timax is an Arvin brand IIRK, Bosal tend to be a little loud on some cars.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 24th Jun 2010 at 16:02
tyerz

Regular

Post #8
timax/arvin are now under the name of klarius and are very good, but dont buy euroflo!! thats what we keep in stock there same part numbers as timax/klarius but the quality is disgaceful!! id never fit one to any car but a local rival sells bosal and there supposed to very good but can be expensive.. never heard any thing bad bout walker tho..
Posted 28th Jun 2010 at 17:39
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Pug box's have changed now, At least the rear's have so no more tailpipe trim, Just a pressing from the box, First look I thought it was a cheap'o' one but it had a Pug Part No on it.

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 29th Jun 2010 at 00:16
dented_vts

Regular

Post #10
do the look worse than the ones originally fitted to the cars at the factory? don't want to fork out if its not better.
Posted 29th Jun 2010 at 00:26
chas

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
IME the Timax (Arvin Meteor) exhausts seem to fall apart after a year. I'd say go OE or Aftermarket if you want longevity.

Otherwise if you are getting shot of the car soon, a Timax/Bosal will be ok.

Ex Owner of 2000 Phase 3 306 GTi 6 China Blue - You shall be missed

1974 Triumph Stag
1989 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6
2003 Alfa Romeo 147 JTD Lusso
2005 Mondeo Ghia X 3.0 Estate LPG
Posted 5th Aug 2010 at 04:26
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
I was offered an interview with Klarius. They literally copy the std exhaust so should be ok if they don't cut too many corners.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 5th Aug 2010 at 04:30
dented_vts

Regular

Post #13
I ordered a Bosal- it arrived today. Got centre section and backbox, clamps, all rubbers etc delivered to the house for £157. Initial impressions mixed- it look and feel substantial- the tubing looks thicker walled than the Timax and the hangers and their welds are much more substantial. The backbox is a different shape to the OE and Timax- its a large cylindrical silencer, looks to be a resonated design. The centre pipe is straight through with a few perforations only at the rear end. can anyone help me fit it? Will post a sound file when its all done. It's the most substantial standard, non OE system i have seen. I cant believe there is no hanger on the centre section of the exhaust on these cars!
Posted 5th Aug 2010 at 04:36
dented_vts

Regular

Post #14
The negative is that the bends on the centre section are not good- quite squashed. I was going to order a Timax from bypartsby but i have seen the backbox part number CN400D they have listed on Ebay an described as a Euroflow part- and they are shit aren't they?
Posted 5th Aug 2010 at 04:45
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #15
yup, euroflow quality is not good! whether the exhausts actually work as well I don't know.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 5th Aug 2010 at 23:33
blue_haddock

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
tyerz wrote:
timax/arvin are now under the name of klarius and are very good, but dont buy euroflo!! thats what we keep in stock there same part numbers as timax/klarius but the quality is disgaceful!! id never fit one to any car but a local rival sells bosal and there supposed to very good but can be expensive.. never heard any thing bad bout walker tho..

yep euroflo are cheap turd!

suck my plums!
Posted 6th Aug 2010 at 05:14
dented_vts

Regular

Post #17
i had suspicion the buypartsby backbox would be Euroflow so paid extra for the Bosal. Where can i get it fitted, i dont have anywhere i can jack the car up enough to do it.
Posted 6th Aug 2010 at 05:38
dented_vts

Regular

Post #18
Went with the Bosal but fitting is a pain- i paid someone to fit it and they gave it back blowing on the join and its sitting right to one side of the bumper cut out. The front mount on the back box looks like this- should the fitter have adjusted the hangers etc or is it meant to be like this, there is basically no movement as its pressed up against the hanger. IS the design of the box at fault?

dented_vts has attached the following image:

Posted 27th Aug 2010 at 20:26
dented_vts

Regular

Post #19
The join is blowing- looks to me like no paste in the actual join and just under the clamp, how should it be done to stop it blowing?

Posted 27th Aug 2010 at 20:28
bobdylan_55

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
shouldnt their be a gasket there?

309 GTi6-T
Posted 27th Aug 2010 at 20:40
dented_vts

Regular

Post #21
bobdylan_55 wrote:
shouldnt their be a gasket there?

Dont think so here is the bosal system diagram

Posted 27th Aug 2010 at 20:53
dan86

Senior User

Post #22
No gasket required, just a smear of sealing paste between the meeting faces of the olive joint should be sufficient. As long as the alignment of the exhaust pipe itself is correct the metal hanger bars can be bent with a big pair of grips so they pull straight on the rubbers. I have found in the past that it is best to align the exhaust pipe for visual fit, and then to bend the brackets accordingly.

Posted 27th Aug 2010 at 22:18
dan86

Senior User

Post #23
The design of that backbox is completely different to that of the original GTI6 item.It looks very similar to a 306 turbo diesel one which is straight through with a perforated tube through the centre. The genuine GTI6 backbox has three tubes inside so the tuned length will be different.The inlet and exhaust tracts are harmonically balanced on these cars. I think altering the length or back pressure would upset this balance and maybe lose a small bit of performance. Just my theory.

Posted 27th Aug 2010 at 22:34
dented_vts

Regular

Post #24
dan86 wrote:
No gasket required, just a smear of sealing paste between the meeting faces of the olive joint should be sufficient. As long as the alignment of the exhaust pipe itself is correct the metal hanger bars can be bent with a big pair of grips so they pull straight on the rubbers. I have found in the past that it is best to align the exhaust pipe for visual fit, and then to bend the brackets accordingly.

Is it best to bend the hangers attached to the box or the car, or indeed both? I wondered if the hanger on the box had got bent where it was posted to me.
Posted 27th Aug 2010 at 22:42
dented_vts

Regular

Post #25
dan86 wrote:
The design of that backbox is completely different to that of the original GTI6 item.It looks very similar to a 306 turbo diesel one which is straight through with a perforated tube through the centre. The genuine GTI6 backbox has three tubes inside so the tuned length will be different.The inlet and exhaust tracts are harmonically balanced on these cars. I think altering the length or back pressure would upset this balance and maybe lose a small bit of performance. Just my theory.

Interesting thoughts Dan and thanks very much for posting the picture as I have been interested what is inside a proper back box for a while- but with regard to the "tuned lengths" being different wont make much different that far down the system. A tuned length is where you have more than one pipe carry gasses in the same direction towards a collector of some sort. Hence equal length manifolds like the gti-6 has. From my understanding of exhaust system design its the length of the primary and secondary pipes that are critical and must not be changed, the system after it basically goes into one doesnt really matter and essentially just represents a parasitic loss on the engine. Indeed the job of the exhaust system is to scavenge gasses form the chamber and the dimensions and lengths of the primary pipes are crucial to this, but the lengths of the silencers is not. Since teh exhaust becomes a harmonic resonator its resistance to flow varies according to engine speed, hence 421 and 4 to 1 exhaust manifolds have different properties and effect power output in different ways.

I too was surprised by the design but the original copy walker that was on it keep suffering snapped hangers, and the centre section was a different brand entirely that i have never heard of, so i thought this might be the best bet. A system from Miles would have been much better but i asked him to do all the work form me but i didn't get a reply to my e-mail as to a day i could visit. I will have to phone him and see if he is willing to fix this.

I shone a torch down the parts before they were fitted and the back box is not straight through- there is a long pipe which only has perforations right at the end, and then a bend is visible at the bottom. The centre section silencer also only had perforations only at one end of the silencer. If anything, this may be a "performance" system compared to the original! (except for the squashed bends on the centre section) I just didn't want anything loud but this system design coupled with the blowing sure is loud. Sadly the VTS back box is much more than the 306- comes in at 225 trade and 108 for the centre section plus clamps and rubbers, hence i didn't buy one. No power loss noted even with slight blow.
Posted 27th Aug 2010 at 22:58

Pages (2): [1] 2