displaying posts 1 to 14 of 14

Author Subject: cutting out/stalling
adamjb

Regular

Post #1
My Rallye keeps cutting out if I let the revs drop to idle. This is intermittent but quite frequent, doesn't seem to make a difference weather the engine is hot or cold and it has happend both when the clutch is in, and with the clutch out. Sometimes it can be at idle for 10-20 seconds before cutting out, and sometimes it does it straight away with no warning for example when changing down into 1st ready to pull out of a junction. It's becoming very anoying in traffic or at junctions when you try and pull out. It can happen several times in the same que of traffic or not at all. Other than this the car appears to be fine, running smothly and pulling strongly etc. When it doesnt stall the idle is usually spot on 900rpm but sometimes rises a little to 1200rpm (this only happens when doing monouveres such as 3 point turns as it takes the revs a little while to settle)

Done a search and its brought up lots of different things, seems to be a common fault and some people unfortunatly seem unable to cure it.

So far from searching, the culprits seem to be:

PAS sensor (unplug to fix?)
Lambda
Map
Inlet pipe to ICV, ICV (stepper)
Idle control valve
Throttle position sensor
Coil packs
Clean inlet manifold
vacuum leaks

Just wondering where to start, which are easiest to check and any advice on how to sort the problem. If theres anything I can check and clean for free first then its the best place to start before expensive garage bills start.

Theres no pattern to when it cuts out and its intermittent and unpredictable so i'm stuck.

Any help appreciated,

Cheers!

white rallye
Posted 17th Jun 2010 at 18:10
kit

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
99% of the time it's the ICV (stepper). Give it a clean with carb cleaner or WD40. It will take a while for the ECU to adjust once you clean it.

If the problem still persists replace it with a genuine one as the eBay specials are shite!

Racing driver, fighter pilot, astronaut, compulsive liar.
Posted 17th Jun 2010 at 18:38
adamjb

Regular

Post #3
Cheers, just been on my bike to get some wd40, got back, moved my laptop outside with the FAQ page loaded up, got the car on the drive after it stalled twice in 10 meters, everything ready to go... I cant get to the 10mm bolts to even begin to get the stepper off. Cant get any leverage from any angle as theres too much other sh!t in the way, don't fancy dismantling half my engine just to get to it. Am I being retarded? This is the reason I'm not a mechanic LOL

FAQ

this shows more stuff taken off. is it ok just to take everything around it off, dont want to brake anything!

white rallye
Posted 17th Jun 2010 at 20:50
phil19gti

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Similar symptoms to mine. I swapped the stepper without much success but then I swapped the lambda and it cured it.

2006 Performance Blue Mondeo ST TDCI
1999 Black 306 Rallye
1991 Lazer Green 205 1.9 GTi
2003 Blue Focus RS
1999 White 306 Rallye
1992 Red 205 1.9 GTi
1988 Red 205 1.6 GTi
Posted 17th Jun 2010 at 21:14
adamjb

Regular

Post #5
Ha, wish i hadn't started this now. Got it off and cleaned it but i don't know how I'm going to get it back together. When I got the stepper off it brought the rubber tube off with it that fits into the air intake, don't know how to get it back on.

Its not connected to anything, its like its just snapped off ( i hope it hasnt and that its something simple. )

Anyone know how they attach back together? Does it need glueing or something?

white rallye
Posted 17th Jun 2010 at 22:03
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #6
Unfortunately it has snapped off. It's quite common as that join is rather fragile.

Use some RTV silicone to reseal it as it will allow some movement. It's no major issue leaving it as-is if you've nothing immediately to hand to seal it with. It just means a very small amount of unfiltered air will be drawn into the engine.

Rich
Posted 17th Jun 2010 at 22:19
craigy_87

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
mine snapped aswell i put a small breather filter in place an covered the hole in the intake
Posted 17th Jun 2010 at 22:26
will130787

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
craigy_87 wrote:
mine snapped aswell i put a small breather filter in place an covered the hole in the intake

+1 Yes

Thats the best bet!

Ex Astor 6 owner Sad

Also an Ex owner of a Bianca 6 Sad

Now an ex owner of a 2005 9-3 2.0T 210bhp Aero Swedish Saloon thing!! Soon to be 250bhp.... Superman

Now driving Mk5 Golf GTTdi, mile muncher

But still live for the 306 Ninja
Posted 17th Jun 2010 at 22:44
adamjb

Regular

Post #9
Thanks, at least its no biggy, masking tape for the next couple of days I think, atleast that should stop unfiltered air getting through. pfhew

white rallye
Posted 17th Jun 2010 at 22:54
eugmul

Regular

Post #10
Nothing major to worry about as what the others have said, (same thing happened to mine)

Tape FTW

Posted 20th Jun 2010 at 04:19
adamjb

Regular

Post #11
Cheers, I'l probably just silicone it back as original. Well all my efforts have prooved useless as it cut out again tonight in just the same way, guess I'l try the lambda sensor next then and see if that does anything to stop it cutting out...

white rallye
Posted 20th Jun 2010 at 23:15
davidmartin

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
From recent experience,I'd start with the Map sensor.that cured the dieing problems you are also experiencing,although I've had to change the stepper and Lambda to get it running spot on again.All started when my battery gave up the gost,So it's been quite an expensive month.

pet hate, the cat
Posted 21st Jun 2010 at 01:00
chet

LongtimeLurker

Post #13
Hi Adam,

Sorry to hear about the cutting out/stalling.

I presume everything has been fine prior to this issue appearing?
In which case, try to think back to when it did start happening... did you/anyone else fiddle around with the ICV? the exhaust/lambda? the manifold intake?

Whilst it sounds very annoying, the problem can't have randomly appeared, something must have caused it right...? Then again, it is French! Laugh

Good Luck!

p.s. Pics of the beast would be most welcomed.... hope its being treated well Razz.

___=[ 306 RALLYE ]=__

Rallye Pics///R.I.P: T499 HFC///Farewell: T153 JCP <==Love ==> Welcome: S2000
Posted 21st Jun 2010 at 18:49
adamjb

Regular

Post #14
chet wrote:
Hi Adam,

Sorry to hear about the cutting out/stalling.

I presume everything has been fine prior to this issue appearing?
In which case, try to think back to when it did start happening... did you/anyone else fiddle around with the ICV? the exhaust/lambda? the manifold intake?

Whilst it sounds very annoying, the problem can't have randomly appeared, something must have caused it right...? Then again, it is French! Laugh

Good Luck!

p.s. Pics of the beast would be most welcomed.... hope its being treated well Razz.

No worries mate, its to be expected on an 11 year old car. I'l get the MAP and Lambda done if needs be, its just one of those anoying niggles, sure I'l get it sorted. No one messed with it, the problem has appeared gradually, I was hoping cleaning the ICV would solve it as it was rather dirty when I took it off but gues not.

Just passed 90,000 this week and still love it as much as when I got it Cool

Going to get it serviced in the next month-oil change etc, might just blow a load of cash at it and get the original alloys refurbed and some sticky tyres put on too and hopefully get a couple of small parking dents taken out too.

No new pics since I got new alloys but it still as shiney as ever, waxed nearly every week Love

white rallye
Posted 22nd Jun 2010 at 02:28