displaying posts 1 to 14 of 14

Author Subject: best tool/method 4 removing ball joints
dented_vts

Regular

Post #1
I want to change one ball joint when I swap in my new dampers, but I'm anxious how i will get the old one out- its been in there 12 years. Also is there a risk of damaging the hub? I will be using all new fixings and tightening them all with a torque wrench to the recommended figures.
Posted 10th Jun 2010 at 20:18
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
spanner/socket+ratchet will do the job Thumbs up

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 10th Jun 2010 at 21:40
cress87

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I use one of these to remove stubborn ball joints. You are unlikely to damage the hub but it will probably split the rubber boot on the joint. Obviously that's not an issue if you are fitting a new one. Thumbs up

Ph3 China blue GTi-6 330Ci///M Sport & NC23 CBR400RR Cool

You feed beefburgers to swans. Yes

I may have been speeding Mr Policeman but [a] I live for the 306 and [b] did you see that dog? omfg
Posted 10th Jun 2010 at 21:45
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
welshpug! wrote:

And probably a BFOH.... Wink

Nothing to see here
Posted 10th Jun 2010 at 22:19
black 6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
adam b wrote:
welshpug! wrote:

And probably a BFOH.... Wink
+1 for a BFOH and goggles In case the splitter goes flying!!LOL

Although it's no longer available new, it's worth trying to get hold of a good example second-hand. As GTi's get tubbier and cooler, it's nice to remind yourself of why insurance companies hate hot-hatches so much.-Top Gear on the 6 Apr '01. Black 6
Posted 10th Jun 2010 at 22:51
anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
balljoint folk and a very heavy hammer will do the job.
Posted 10th Jun 2010 at 22:53
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
I knock a chisel into the pinch part when the bolt is out. A swift twat to the wishbone with a rubber hammer and the job is done. I've read somewhere you shouldn't do this but oh well it's always worked for me.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 10th Jun 2010 at 22:58
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #8
smegal wrote:
I knock a chisel into the pinch part when the bolt is out. A swift twat to the wishbone with a rubber hammer and the job is done. I've read somewhere you shouldn't do this but oh well it's always worked for me.

indeed, you should never do that, it leads to stretched balljoint clamps bent balljoint clamp bolts and inevitable shite handling Thumbs up

worst case scenario is the BJ becomes detached from the bottom of the hub carrier due to the clamp cracking, I have seen this happen, it funked that corner of the car pretty much.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 10th Jun 2010 at 23:03
dented_vts

Regular

Post #9
welshpug! wrote:
smegal wrote:

indeed, you should never do that, it leads to stretched balljoint clamps bent balljoint clamp bolts and inevitable shite handling Thumbs up

worst case scenario is the BJ becomes detached from the bottom of the hub carrier due to the clamp cracking, I have seen this happen, it funked that corner of the car pretty much.

So is it ok to bash it with one of those spade things?
Posted 10th Jun 2010 at 23:20
rikky 🦔

Post #10
get the tool cress quoted above, i use mine all the time, its indestructible and also useful for throwing at dogs shitting outside your driveway

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 11th Jun 2010 at 00:19
dented_vts

Regular

Post #11
is that it:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_216891_langId_-1_categoryId_165469
Posted 11th Jun 2010 at 00:26
anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
dented_vts wrote:
is that it:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_216891_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

Yes thats the one i have
Posted 11th Jun 2010 at 01:04
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
welshpug! wrote:
smegal wrote:

I highly doubt that that can actually happen unless you are really ham fisted. Surely it flexes like the part that holds the strut? It has never caused me any issues.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 11th Jun 2010 at 01:51
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #14
it can happen, I have seen it LOL

the strut clamp is fr more substantial

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 11th Jun 2010 at 01:57