displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Std pistons come to deck?
leito6

Post #1
I'm building my engine at the moment and since I have to replace my crankshaft due to it being cracked and I can't find an 86mm one over here I decided to go for an 88mm XUD9 crank and custom 86,5mm pistons.

This morning I went to the machine shop and dummy built the engine in order to determine what the piston speck should be. With the std crank the pistons came 1mm below deck at TDC.

Then when putting the diesel crank in the pistons came up to deck so I was thinking of making the compression height 1mm lower to compensate.

Is this correct for the std XU10J4RS? Do pistons sit below deck with the std crank?

Thanks for your responses
Posted 10th Jun 2010 at 10:19
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
sounds like RFY S16 not an RFS gti6 if the pistons sit below deck height, are they flat top with nice cutouts?

you can just drop the 88mm crank straight in with RFY/S16 pistons and you'll get over 11-1 compression, though you wont have as much space for lift @ TDC, it would be wise to enlarge the cutouts, but leave the crown as it is to retain the increased compression.

86mm cranks are easy to find, they are the same in the RFV XU10J4R 135 bhp engine, and the 8 valve XU10J2 engine.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 10th Jun 2010 at 15:58
leito6

Post #3
Pistons are RFS, they have very small valve cutouts but still they sit something like 0,7mm below deck.

I fear the engine might have been repaired before and been assembled with other rods than standard. Are there any rods that might be slightly smaller in lenght thus making te pistons sit lower?

Cranks unfortunately are very hard to source here in Argentina and I would like to retain an eith counterweight one, also it makes for a nice upgrade!
Posted 10th Jun 2010 at 20:16
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
The S16 engine has shorter conrods but then a taller piston.

I think the rod measurements are somewhere around 153mm for S16 then 157mm for the Gti6

Ryan
Posted 10th Jun 2010 at 22:55
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #5
152 and 158, RFS comes flush to deck with a dish, RFY are flat top and come below deck by about 0.7mm.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 10th Jun 2010 at 23:04
leito6

Post #6
They are exactly the same as Welshpug's avatar.
Is the rod theory something possible? Are there any other rods that would make the piston sit below deck?
Posted 11th Jun 2010 at 00:47