displaying posts 1 to 19 of 19

Author Subject: K&N / Air Filter advice
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hi people

I've been through all the relevant searches and howtos and as far as I can see there are several issues with fitting an air filter to the Pug.

Firstly, it seems there are various breather pipes that need to be connected - is this right? Does this mean I need to order any extra parts or brackets? Or would everything come with the kit?

Secondly it appears there are two ways of doing it - the first is to run the piping down to the bottom corner of the car - bit of a ballache by the looks of things and surely runs a very real risk if picking up water? The second method seems to involve a filter directly onto the throttle body - presumably this is the way that needs breather pipes and the such attaching?

I think for safety's sake I'd rather put one directly onto the throttle then run some pipework for the cool air, it's only a track car so it doesn't really matter if it looks crap and suffers a little when warm and slow.

If anyone has any input / corrections / experience / links to the right units I'd be most appreciative.

Cheers
O.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 2nd Jun 2010 at 18:23
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Try it on the throttle body and see - I found mine to be quicker with it on the end of the normal black plastic pipe that attaches to the top of the airbox from the tb. No idea why though - no figures either just seemed to be the case. Then you don't have the icv pipe unfiltered as well.

If its a track car you've not got much to worry about with flooding surely? After 60k of road miles all year round I never had an issue. Just be sensible Smile

Nothing to see here
Posted 2nd Jun 2010 at 20:20
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I agree it shouldn't be an issue, it's just not the kind of thing that's particularly forgiving if it does happen!

Sounds like the normal one is the way to go then, so is it just a case of buy one of these and that's all I'll need?

Cheers
O.

Posted 2nd Jun 2010 at 20:47
309btcc

**DODGY SELLER**

Post #4
if u put it direct to throttle body you will get alot of heat soak from the radiator top hose i woud do it how adam says and run the standard cold air feed as that is very good
Posted 2nd Jun 2010 at 20:50
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Okay, I'll probably go with that then if someone can confirm that kit contains everything I need.

Posted 2nd Jun 2010 at 21:03
gti-dan

Regular

Post #6
its quite had to tell from looking at that kit - you may need a bit of intermediate silicone hose or adaptors to connect it onto the existing pipework. That is where the fun is though! I'd wait till you have the kit and then you can measure things up and see how you are going to make it fit.

I have a pipercross viper fitted, all new system right from the throttle body so i have some silicone house and an aluminium elbow.

I would recommend that you fit an enclosed system with a cold air feed attached - i can't imagine the cold air feed would do much if not attached.

I have a brand new pipercross viper for sale in the for sale forum that would be perfect!

Seriously though a viper / bmc / apollo would be the best bet IMHO
Posted 2nd Jun 2010 at 21:42
309btcc

**DODGY SELLER**

Post #7
go for a itg or a pipercross or even ram air they sound awsome so iam told
Posted 2nd Jun 2010 at 23:01
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Those Viper ones do look good, just can't justify that kind of money really - even the £185 is more than twice the cost of a K&N.

Think I'll be keeping an eye on the For Sales to see if a second hand one comes up Wink

Posted 2nd Jun 2010 at 23:52
309btcc

**DODGY SELLER**

Post #9
go for a pipercross foam mate or a ram air cheap and you get a mental induction roar....
Posted 2nd Jun 2010 at 23:58
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Pipercross foam looks doable, might go for one of those. Having never really fitted one of these before, should I expect a kit for the GTI-6 to literally contain everything I need?

Cheers

Posted 3rd Jun 2010 at 01:05
309btcc

**DODGY SELLER**

Post #11
its just a filter m8 thats all but the original air box is a real b*tch to remove
Posted 3rd Jun 2010 at 01:52
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Cool cheers, I'll be fitting an oil cooler soon enough so I'll do it then while I've got everything apart.

Cheers for the help people.

Posted 3rd Jun 2010 at 14:06
309btcc

**DODGY SELLER**

Post #13
no worrys
Posted 4th Jun 2010 at 02:11
osm2121

Regular

Post #14
I have a question about the position of this air filter, and i´ll throw it up here instead of opening another thread.
I definitely can´t put the filter were it´s supposed to be installed. Roads here in Uruguay are f@ck*ng destroyed almost everywhere, and with any light rain, pools appear even in fast roads, there for, No
My question is, can i put the air filter straight at the manifold? Up there? Or that would be wasting money?
Maybe a K&N rounded one, that fits the standard box, would make the same difference?
Thanks
Posted 30th Oct 2013 at 22:55
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
You can get replacement for standard filters made by K&N that fit directly in the airbox. Slightly growlier induction noise, and I could hear a very slight woosh after lifting off the throttle at high revs.

Another thing you could do would be to get a cone filter to fit on the end of the standard pipe that goes into the airbox, and have a cone filter inside the original airbox?

You could also go for an enclosed filter type thing like the BMC ones and enclosed pipercross ones.

If you just stick a filter on the end of the TB it will be getting hot air from the radiator and you'll lose a fair bit of low-end torque due to deleting most of the inlet tract.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 30th Oct 2013 at 23:24
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
I had a filter direct on the inlet mani via a small 45* hose. I noticed no performance loss. The noise was better to. However, I now run the k and n panel filter in the standard airbox. Good set up.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 31st Oct 2013 at 00:23
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Replacement cotton filter FTW. Induction kits are a complete waste of time and money with no gains what so ever, they just cause poor MPG and you sound like the local 1.2 corsa.

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 31st Oct 2013 at 00:24
osm2121

Regular

Post #18
Well, finally found the perfect combination! And it looks f@ck*ng awesome! Big grin
Now lets see how it works. Im not expecting any improvement on the cars performance, but I guess it´ll sound a lot better, right?
Posted 2nd Nov 2013 at 02:45
osm2121

Regular

Post #19
Well, finally fitted. It was not easy at all to put it up there, but i wasnt going to fit it down there in the standard position, too many ponds and lakes on Uruguayan roads. Feels like driving in Venecia Razz
Anyways, it sounds amazing really, and I could make it face to the inlet. I now have to fit back that little piece of pipe that comes from the forward of the radiator, and conect it straight to the filter housing, and done! Cold air feed, without the risk of sucking water Big grin
Oh! And the bonnet closes perfectly Thumbs up

Posted 5th Dec 2013 at 04:17