displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: exh cam sealed without vac pump?
bobdylan_55

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
hi, does anyone know if the exhaust cam is still sealed at the vacuum pump end if the vacuum pump isnt in place?

only reason i ask is because i would like to adapt the cam to run a pulley for an alternator, but obviously would be difficult to get a bearing that would seal properly in the hole. cheers

309 GTi6-T
Posted 29th May 2010 at 01:00
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #2
No, the vacuum pump seals the channel.

I wouldn't want anything high load to be camshaft driven anyway Crazy

You'd be risking the belt jumping on sudden load changes, or possibly even the camshaft snapping.

Rich
Posted 29th May 2010 at 01:14
bobdylan_55

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
ive thought that, but dont the mi16 use it as standard for driving the pas? are they not as much of a load?

309 GTi6-T
Posted 29th May 2010 at 01:26
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #4
Yeah, it's a much lower load from the PAS pump. I never really understood the logic of driving the PAS from the cam and they've never done the same again since.

Rich
Posted 29th May 2010 at 01:35
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
In all honesty if you wanted to go down this route it'd be a sight easier to fit an mi16 head and adapt your exhaust mani to fit.
You'd need to make it seal as the original vac pump does then you'd need to make up a shaft and a some kind of bearing set-up to to extend the cam, this would also need another seal on it. You then need to make up suitable pulleys and an alt mount.
Not bloody easy! You've also got to be careful with your pulley ratios or it'll not charge at low revs and theres not much room for decent sized pulleys. As you know I've done similar on mine but if I was to do it again i'd try and avoid it, Its a ball ache buddy!

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 29th May 2010 at 01:43
bobdylan_55

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
lol ok guys, ill try and stick it in the standard place (ish) with original pulleys. ta

309 GTi6-T
Posted 29th May 2010 at 03:50