displaying posts 1 to 19 of 19

Author Subject: custom alternator
bobdylan_55

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
hi,

does anybody know what would be required to fit any random alternator to a gti6? i only ask as where the mount is at the moment i currently have boost pipes and i was planning on just putting a smaller race use one in.
cheers

309 GTi6-T
Posted 27th May 2010 at 21:07
rikky 🦔

Post #2
well you'd have to check the mounting lugs for the standard one.. youcan move the alternator no problems aslong as it can be driven..

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 27th May 2010 at 21:11
bobdylan_55

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
yeh but there is nowhere else to put it when its all been shoved in a 309 lol. the only other place is infront of the wheel, and its a bit low and probably wet down there so id rather not, plus the pulley is about 10mm off centre there.

309 GTi6-T
Posted 27th May 2010 at 21:14
rikky 🦔

Post #4
what about using an s16 engine mount, they are in a diff place to the gti6 i think? bit lower down?

you got aircon / pas / anything like that?

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 27th May 2010 at 21:28
bobdylan_55

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
ive tried several different mounts, wont have it though. no aircon or pas due to space. ive seen some 93mm alternators on demontweeks but theyre £175.

309 GTi6-T
Posted 27th May 2010 at 21:30
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Have a look at Daihatsu charade Alternators. They're very small 45ampers, I run one on my 205 mi off the exhaust cam.

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 28th May 2010 at 01:46
bobdylan_55

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
allanallen wrote:
Have a look at Daihatsu charade Alternators. They're very small 45ampers, I run one on my 205 mi off the exhaust cam.

o realy Ninja

i knew about the diahatsu bit, but how did you rig it upto the cam? i was actually thinking about it earlier but couldnt think how i could do it.

309 GTi6-T
Posted 28th May 2010 at 02:53
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
bobdylan_55 wrote:
allanallen wrote:

o realy Ninja

i knew about the diahatsu bit, but how did you rig it upto the cam? i was actually thinking about it earlier but couldnt think how i could do it.

As mines an mi16 the exhaust cam already had a pulley which originally ran the pas pump in the 405. All I had to do was make up a bracket to mount the alt on top of the gearbox.
I think you'd struggle on a six engine to be honest, you'd have to make something that fits where the vac pump is and runs off the dog on the end of the cam. I couldn't say for sure without having a proper look though.

I was more thinking you could mount the smaller alt up where the pas pump originally sits or on the sump?

Edit; just looked through your project thread, would it not be easier to re think your boost piping?

Facebook
Posted 28th May 2010 at 05:52
bobdylan_55

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
ive had a look at rerouting the boost piping but its not really an option due to the bonnet and inlet. The only option i have is to try and run it under the inlet but its VERY tight under there and im not sure it would go, and would still leave the problem of the alternator not fitting where it should so id have to mount it higher up where the pas pump goes.
i was actually thinking about the sump as its got 2 holes on the cast that sticks out, but its very low to the floor (would be less than 2 inch clearance once mounted)

think im going to fit the gti6 alternator then have a go at re routing the boost pipe, if its a not go then ill attempt to mount a diahatsu one and see if any joy arrises.

309 GTi6-T
Posted 28th May 2010 at 13:53
fletch

Track Head

Post #10
You got a pic of your boost pipe routing?
Posted 28th May 2010 at 14:08
bobdylan_55

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
best pic i can find

309 GTi6-T
Posted 28th May 2010 at 14:11
fletch

Track Head

Post #12
Can't you go under the inlet and across?

Alternatively have the inlet shortened?
Posted 28th May 2010 at 14:47
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #13
hole cutter in the inner wing behind the headlamp FTW.

either that or a 90 straight of and back across in front of the inlet.

tbh it does look rather shit as it is!

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 28th May 2010 at 15:12
bobdylan_55

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
welshpug! wrote:
hole cutter in the inner wing behind the headlamp FTW.

either that or a 90 straight of and back across in front of the inlet.

tbh it does look rather shit as it is!

cant go across the front as the angle the turbo sits. any thanks for the it looks shit comment, appreciated.

309 GTi6-T
Posted 28th May 2010 at 15:17
bobdylan_55

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
fletch wrote:
Can't you go under the inlet and across?

Alternatively have the inlet shortened?

i tried under it yesterday, it might just fit, but im not too sure due to the oil sandwich plate and oil lines to cooler and starter and such. If i remove the plastic bit off the inlet and then blank it, it might fit easier.

309 GTi6-T
Posted 28th May 2010 at 15:20
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
I was looking at my 309 Gti6 earlier and it runs the standard Alternator, it looks to me like theres enough room to run a boost pipe between the alt and the rad?! You'd need to re-weld the inlet on the intercooler higher up though and probably point it up at about 45 degrees (if that makes sense).

Defo get rid of the resonator though that'll free up loads of space under the mani.

What size boost pipe are you running?

Facebook
Posted 28th May 2010 at 23:00
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Could you move the rad to the left on that pic and have an intercooler with the inlet and outlet going by the rad on the right hand side.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 28th May 2010 at 23:10
bobdylan_55

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
allanallen wrote:
I was looking at my 309 Gti6 earlier and it runs the standard Alternator, it looks to me like theres enough room to run a boost pipe between the alt and the rad?! You'd need to re-weld the inlet on the intercooler higher up though and probably point it up at about 45 degrees (if that makes sense).

Defo get rid of the resonator though that'll free up loads of space under the mani.

What size boost pipe are you running?

ive found out today that the alternator im using isnt even a gti6 one (scamming bas**rd whoever sold it me)... no wonder it wouldnt fit the mount holes. ive ordered another now which is correct so ill report back with space issues when it comes.

as for the intercooler, thats the problem. The exit isnt high enough. If it was higher i could have a larger angle on the pipe and it would cover the alternator. worst come worst i can always try mounting the whole intercooler higher, or at an angle. Shit may it look, but will be hidden by bumper anyway...

309 GTi6-T
Posted 29th May 2010 at 00:18
bobdylan_55

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
smegal wrote:
Could you move the rad to the left on that pic and have an intercooler with the inlet and outlet going by the rad on the right hand side.

dont like dual pass, they are less efficient. rad mounts are welded in now aswell Sad

309 GTi6-T
Posted 29th May 2010 at 00:18