displaying posts 1 to 25 of 26

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Thoughts / advice on installing KW V1's?
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Is this a job that can be done myself, or is it one of those jobs that ends up needing so many different tools and new bits and pieces that it's best to get a garage to do it?

These are the ones I'm thinking of going for, but having never replaced suspension before I'm a little hesitant. I've read a million threads talking of topmounts, changing bolts and such things. Is it a bolt-off, bolt-on jobby or just stay away and leave it to the professionals?

Cheers
O.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 26th May 2010 at 20:43
stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I felt the same as you when I first wanted to sort out my suspension. In the end I just thought 'what's the worst that could happen?' and went for it and I'm glad I did.

Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and I didn't need any special tools as such. Just as long as you take your time and use a bit of common sense you should be fine.

The hardest bit will probably be removing the strut base pinch bolts unless they have been removed before. Just use a BFOH and they will come out eventually. Thumbs up

Also, be careful when pulling on the passenger side hub, as the driveshaft loves to pop out of the gearbox if you're a bit too enthusiastic with it. Although it's not the end of the world if it comes out, it's just extra hassle and makes a nice mess on the driveway.
Posted 26th May 2010 at 20:51
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Excellent, more enthusiastic replies like this please. I'm sure as hell no mechanic but I'm more than capable of Pulling a Mechano on it and just unbolting everything in site.

I hear fitment is the opposite of dismantling Wink

Might give it a bash then. Same goes for the rear torsion beam adjustment for height I assume? I've read a couple of howto's and I'm all up for ruining my car trying to be clever.

O.

Posted 26th May 2010 at 21:00
stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I didn't have any experience of that sort of thing before I did mine and like I say I'm glad I went for it in the end. The only mishaps I had were the driveshaft making a bid for freedom and missing out a couple of washers when I put it all back together, they were easily sorted though.

I've yet to have a go at doing the torsion beam, but I'm sure it can't be that hard at the end of the day.
Posted 26th May 2010 at 21:06
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
That's what we like to hear, cheers muchly.

Anyone here lowered the rear themselves? Snigger.

Posted 26th May 2010 at 21:25
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #6
stu wrote:
I felt the same as you when I first wanted to sort out my suspension. In the end I just thought 'what's the worst that could happen?' and went for it and I'm glad I did.

Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and I didn't need any special tools as such. Just as long as you take your time and use a bit of common sense you should be fine.

The hardest bit will probably be removing the strut base pinch bolts unless they have been removed before. Just use a BFOH and they will come out eventually. Thumbs up

Also, be careful when pulling on the passenger side hub, as the driveshaft loves to pop out of the gearbox if you're a bit too enthusiastic with it. Although it's not the end of the world if it comes out, it's just extra hassle and makes a nice mess on the driveway.

The pinch bolt does'nt have to come out to remove the strut, just pit a new nyloc nut on and it will be fine Smile

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 26th May 2010 at 21:25
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
You see this is the thing - I don't know what a pinch bolt is. I know what a strut is and what a nyloc is.

I'm sure all will become clear when I get my spanner out.

Posted 26th May 2010 at 21:27
sixygti2

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Pinch bolt is the one at the base of the strut at the back of the hub... I think...

Still watching you...
Posted 26th May 2010 at 21:34
stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
daveyboy wrote:
The pinch bolt does'nt have to come out to remove the strut, just pit a new nyloc nut on and it will be fine Smile

I destroyed mine in frustration when I couldn't open the clamp up wide enough to remove the strut, so I had to replace mine in the end. Roll eyes Laugh
Posted 26th May 2010 at 21:56
mr swampy s16

**BAD SELLER**

Post #10
When replacing the strut rub down the hub with some very fine sandpaper to remove any rust.
Then to the lower edges of the struts smear a small amount of copper grease to help them in and out next time if required
Posted 26th May 2010 at 22:21
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
That's a good shout, I'll be sure to give everything a good clean and polish whilst I'm there.

I've ordered up some new bolts from Swampy, just need to check with KW that they actually work with the GTI-6, their site doesn't mention it specifically...

O.

Posted 27th May 2010 at 13:53
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
The passenger side is generally harder than the drivers side on both front and rear - the arm on the front doesn't swing down so low out of the way due to a wierd casting on the subframe and the exhaust backbox gets in the way of the damper. You can use loads of extenders to do the rear damper bolt over the exhaust when its in situ.

You can also open up the hub pinch on the dampers by putting in a allen key the right size so it just fits and turning it slightly to open up the pinch. They can be a proper git to get the damper out.

Nothing to see here
Posted 27th May 2010 at 17:18
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Cheers for the heads up Adam, I'll look forward to destroying my knuckles Wink

Posted 27th May 2010 at 17:37
khj100

Senior User

Post #14
All the advice so far is good, and it's really not that big a deal. Lowering torsion bars will be the hardest job if it's never been apart.

If you get really stuck for either tools or expertise, drop Ash (thats his username) a PM. He's local to you in Chelmsford and has a huge amount of experience with 306s (including the one he currently races).

Trackday, trackday, trackday Hyper
Posted 27th May 2010 at 17:44
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Oh reeeeeeealy?

I think this Ash fellow might be my new best friend. Does he do it as a job or hobby do you know?

Posted 27th May 2010 at 17:57
bennn

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
owain wrote:
That's what we like to hear, cheers muchly.

Anyone here lowered the rear themselves? Snigger.

i did that back of mine, was easy apart from a seized drivers bar, main thing is to be carefull with the measurements, take your time and make sure you take note of what goes where

Cherry Red 306 HDI
Championship White Integra DC5 Type R
Posted 27th May 2010 at 18:27
khj100

Senior User

Post #17
owain wrote:
Oh reeeeeeealy?

I think this Ash fellow might be my new best friend. Does he do it as a job or hobby do you know?

No, no, just a hobby. But he's a fantastic chap and I'm sure will offer advice if it's needed.

Trackday, trackday, trackday Hyper
Posted 27th May 2010 at 19:18
rikky 🦔

Post #18
LOL @ landing ash a load of earache and demands for him to come out and fit someone's coilovers, in a nice way of course Laugh

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 27th May 2010 at 19:22
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
I consider this a contractual agreement that he's now fitting them for me free of charge at no notice.

Someone let him know Wink

Poor bugger.

Posted 27th May 2010 at 19:24
rikky 🦔

Post #20
Laugh

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 27th May 2010 at 19:29
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #21
Echo all of the above. One tip missed off though, is once the pinch bolt is undone, put an 8mm sump plug key (like a square drive) rotate it 45 degrees with a spanner/ratchet and the hub will simple fall off the strut, makes it much easier putting it back together too.

And then just remember to fit the top mount bolts if you put a strutbrace on at the same time Wink

Meh

Seat Leon Cupra FR / 306 GTI6 / Breaking 205 GTI6 / Caterham 7 / Mercedes Sprinter 311CDI LWB

Sold: Fisher Fury - Laguna DCI Estate - P1 306 XSI - E30 BMW 325i Baur Convertible - Daihatsu Fourtack - Suzuki GSXR600 - 205 Rallye
Posted 27th May 2010 at 19:54
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
This is all making me very keen to get on with this, just need KW to get back to me about its suitability for the car so I can crack on.

Cheers again everyone.
O.

Posted 27th May 2010 at 19:56
dangerous dave

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
Ash is a lovely chap. You'll be wanting to tap him up for a rear anti roll bar too, it'll make the turn in sharper and the whole thing more resistant to understeer/much easier to spin!

I warn you, that rear beam is going to be a whole world of c*nt to get apart, though at least it's not been screwed around with before. Still, those torsion bars have had a good 13 years to bed themselves into place.

All the KV coilovers should be suitable, As far as I know the struts on a 306 are all the same

You didn't see anything. Right?
Posted 27th May 2010 at 21:10
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
Easier to spin you say? I'll get right on that Wink

Hopefully ordering up the suspension tomorrow.

Posted 27th May 2010 at 21:16
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #25
Also not sure how many people go for the V1's for track use, lots of people use the V2's and have great results.

Meh

Seat Leon Cupra FR / 306 GTI6 / Breaking 205 GTI6 / Caterham 7 / Mercedes Sprinter 311CDI LWB

Sold: Fisher Fury - Laguna DCI Estate - P1 306 XSI - E30 BMW 325i Baur Convertible - Daihatsu Fourtack - Suzuki GSXR600 - 205 Rallye
Posted 27th May 2010 at 21:22

Pages (2): [1] 2