displaying posts 426 to 450 of 775

Pages (31): first .. 17 [18] 19 .. last

Author Subject: Track Cars for Dummies
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #426
Well of course Smile

This place in particular was called P Tuckwell's, they've got a few different locations around the place.

However all the bolts and bits they had because they're a John Deere place - there are hundreds of such places around the country, it's just that no-one knows about them unless they're a farmer. What's considered "special order" for normal places is your bread and butter when it comes to 30-tonne machines.

They did say that pretty much any bolt they didn't have they could order in next day.

I got three of the M12's, three of the big M10's, three flange nuts, four pinch bolts and four nyloc's for £21 all in. All 10.9 grade.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 25th Feb 2011 at 19:11
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #427
Project Oooo 'arrrrr.

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 25th Feb 2011 at 20:29
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #428
Erm, if you don't mind Matt it's actually "Project Oooo arrrr, with John Deere". I've got endorsements now.

In other news... Coming soon!

Posted 25th Feb 2011 at 22:18
nc23

Regular

Post #429
Let's hope your car runs better than this guy.....

Good luck, hope you make Woodbridge Thumbs up

’00 Moonstone GTi6
My Flickr Photostream
Posted 26th Feb 2011 at 00:06
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #430
im in the agricultral industry and these bolts ain't hard to come buy. we stock them at work Smile

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 25th Feb 2011 at 23:39
marco gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #431
Just had a cracking read through your project Owain while the missus is watchin her usual dutch friday night next top model superstar bullshit shows.

However, i love your attitude towards just getting stuff on and of your car and try to figure out a solution on how to improve things.

Looking forward to your next update mate.

Keep the good work up Thumbs up

Posted 26th Feb 2011 at 02:27
edcherry

Post #432
Think you will probably find the standard bolts are only 8.8 anyway, only thing is you needed a bolt rather than a set screw.
Posted 27th Feb 2011 at 05:48
cooper666

Senior User

Post #433
edcherry wrote:
Think you will probably find the standard bolts are only 8.8 anyway, only thing is you needed a bolt rather than a set screw.

all 306 suspension bolts are 10.9 iirc

clio r27
ps3 id:cooperkloe

Posted 27th Feb 2011 at 07:07
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #434
The wishbone ones are 10.9 yes, pinch bolts are 8.8 Yes

Not any more though Wink

Marco - seriously, you haven't even finished watching Top Model yet? I think I've sat through every series start to finish when Living TV decided that was a good idea. Actually that's when most of the car planning was done Smile

Posted 27th Feb 2011 at 14:47
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #435
Hows the brakes doing? what pads are you using?
i need big brakes again for the wallye LOL

i keep coming across mahoosive calipers online for cheap but they are rears LOL
dont think the pads would last long Laugh my ass off
Posted 1st Mar 2011 at 15:56
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #436
Brakes are awesome, can't see me needing anything better any time soon. Obviously they're heavy, but I'm not paying thousands just for a lighter setup.

I'm using EBC yellows I think, have been pretty impressed with them. I thought about using the CL pads but having just paid about £250 for some Tarox G88's to save my ears I didn't fancy chewing them up in an afternoon No

They still squeal a bit under moderate braking, so I just consider that a "you're not braking late or hard enough" alarm and man up Yes

Posted 1st Mar 2011 at 16:05
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #437
Thumbs up

i wonder what performance pads are available for porshe cayenne rear calipers? Hmm Laugh my ass off
Posted 1st Mar 2011 at 16:07
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #438
Right, been a while since I've done anything with the car, Woodbridge was spot on and yet again the car was a right hoot. Good day had by all, including my mate with the MX5 who overheard being referred to as "that dick in the Mazda" by one of the stewards. Mankee...?

So, much as they deny any involvement my front wheels were knocking once I'd had the tracking done at the F1 Autocentre place in Chelmo. Extremely annoying, but it's not like they're going to do anything about it, so managed to source myself a Xsara VTS quick rack. As I'm not 100% sure it's the rack that's broken (although I don't see what else it can be) I thought I might as well get myself a cheeky upgrade while I'm at it Smile

Obvious "nice rack" gag, post cleanup:

And what's wrong with this picture? Oh, the joys of buying second-hand parts:

Quick trip to Unipart and £7 later, got me a replacement. Don't have the silly tool to get the weird clips on, to cable ties for the win. Jacked the car up, and inadvertently found the exact balancing spot of the car when trying to raise up the front.

Wobbly:

Turns out removing the subframe wasn't quite as simple as I'd expected. I don't have any pictures of the process as I tend to take them on the refit once I know what everything is, but due to this little bugger, that never happened:

One big ol' M10 bolt, sheared straight off. Brilliant. Annoyingly if I'd have known at the time that the whole bracket would've come off with the two 13mm bolts I wouldn't have needed to remove it, but it was so badly rusted on it seemed as if the bolt was going into the chassis as well as the bracket. It was not. Annoying.

I'll get some pictures up once I've refitted it all, but eventually off came the subframe and ARB. Might as well get myself some new ARB bushes while I'm at it I guess.

Then it's simply a case of carefully removing the hydraulic pipes from the ram without rounding them off, and transferring the ram to the new rack. I am assured that using the Xsara ram will result in some serious gearbox rubbage Yes

Ram moved across:

Now, not that there was anything wrong with the old protective bin bag or anything...

But I decided to replace that while I was here. You can get kits for this, or you can find some old green crap that Ollie wrapped the dashboard in and use that. More cable tie goodness:

Yet again, there'll be a big pile of bolts to replace, so I'll be back to John Deere during the week. Thought they were open today, but apparently they only open weekends during harvest. Bugger.

Anyway I can't put it back together until I can get a new bracket thing, tried heat and force to get that old bolt out, and it's just not having it. Plus it's the girlfriend's mum's birthday, so have to go scrub the power steering fluid off my face and the black crap from my arms.

Wouldn't normally bother, but it's quite a posh restaurant we're going to. Nice little place in Writtle, just off the main road. They do nice steak. Think I'll have a steak.

Posted 19th Mar 2011 at 22:09
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #439
Good work big guy Thumbs up

BTW the rule of thumb with steak is it has to be so big you will consider not finishing it only halfway through, closely followed by a look of sheer determination as you wallop every last tasty beefy chunk down your oesophagus.

Bon appetit Thumbs up

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 19th Mar 2011 at 22:58
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #440
Yeah, annoyingly it does seem that the posher the restaurant the smaller the steaks, so I'm sure I'll have no problem demolishing whatever's put in front of me.

And what you described is exactly what happens when we get 10oz fillet steaks from Tescos for a mere £7 each. You think you won't make it, but you're damn well not giving it to the dog.

Posted 19th Mar 2011 at 23:07
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #441
I know, steak and blowjob day was awful, destroyed the juicy steak in front of me at the expense of having to wait for the bloated sicky feeling to subside before allowing my lady friend to fellate me

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 19th Mar 2011 at 23:11
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #442
Barely sounds worth the effort to be honest. Should've just enjoyed the steak for what it was.

Posted 19th Mar 2011 at 23:17
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #443
To be honest I did promise i'd let her do it this year, at least it's over and done with now so I have another 12 months of steaks to concentrate on

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 19th Mar 2011 at 23:19
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #444
Figured as I'm waiting on getting a new bracket thing and bolts, might as well make some bits shiny. I was going to clean up the subframe but there was far too much grease and stonechip to be worth it, so sacked that off for now.

Not bad for a 12-hour soaking in some Deox C:

Dry them off, primer them up, and bake on gas mark 1 for a couple of hours to get all the primer nice and solid.

Will get those painted up tonight with a bit of luck, new bolts tomorrow morning and hopefully the bracket thing asap if I still can't get the old bolt out.

Posted 21st Mar 2011 at 12:52
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #445
Thumbs up once again a few minutes at work killed with a smile of my face, Keep up the good work.

Sad Ex-Black 6 Ninja - Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.
Posted 21st Mar 2011 at 13:54
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #446
Well I thought I might as well get in one more update before the admins forget to take a backup before the Upgrade Of Doom, all goes wrong and we lose everything.

I chose a random spray can from the shelf, and ended up with red. The brackets are drying now, didn't get a picture but imagine them as they are above - only red.

I really felt obliged to tidy up the old ARB while it was off as it was a bit shanty:

However in reality no-one's ever going to see it and it'd be a pointless waste of time and money. So, grinder and a paint removal disc:

Bling.

Now I'm really not sure how this'll end up, as obviously there's a fair amount of flex in the ARB by its very nature. In fact no, I know exactly how it'll end up - it'll end up with a rusty ARB and a pile of flaked off paint on my garage floor.

In an effort to counter this, I've gone for acid etch primer onto the bare metal, so that should stick fairly well. I've then ordered up some flexible rubbery paint, which should hopefully not crack under movement. Primered:

Just time for one last coat before settling down for a night in front of the telly. It's been nice knowing you all, I'll see you on the other side.

Posted 23rd Mar 2011 at 01:23
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #447
If you're not sorted with a subframe bracket, get the bolt near cherry red and lace it with plus gas to rapid cool and get the stilsons on it. Thumbs up

I would imagine it's the same on each car though.

Who did the rack come from?

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 23rd Mar 2011 at 03:47
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #448
Get the subframe seam welded whilst its off too. Worth the pain i'd have thought Thumbs up

Nothing to see here
Posted 23rd Mar 2011 at 03:22
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #449
I've tried everything with the bracket, it's had heat and all sorts on it but to no avail. Still, should have a new (well, used) one turning up today which will suit me just fine.

I'm keeping schtum on who I bought the rack from for fear of starting another rant/abuse thread LOL

Thought about the subframe, but I'll leave that for now. I'd rather just have car that works again!

Posted 23rd Mar 2011 at 12:26
davewagon

Senior User

Post #450
It's been pretty much 4 weeks, there had best be a heroic update soon or soon after the next few bank holiday weekends !!
Razz

Team: Moonstone GTI-6
Team: Working air-con™

ian7675 wrote:
Remember....a 6 isn't just a car, it's a part time job Thumbs up
Posted 21st Apr 2011 at 03:39

Pages (31): first .. 17 [18] 19 .. last