displaying posts 1 to 3 of 3

Author Subject: loud noise now car has stopped
aaronphilpott-2009

Post #1
there was a clunking sound coming from my gti 6 engine on the way home from work it got louder as the night went on and then on the motorway it just stopped. when i try to throw it over it is making an awful grinding noise. any ideas....

apt
Posted 19th May 2010 at 18:26
khj100

Senior User

Post #2
Yeah, you've basically just totally knackered it by not acting on the warning noises! Roll eyes

What sort of clunking noise was it? Sounds like the bottom end has dismantled itself

Trackday, trackday, trackday Hyper
Posted 19th May 2010 at 19:58
jackcross1989

Regular

Post #3
reckon bottom end as i had this happen aswell, drain some oil see if there is any little metalic bits in it, or drop the sump, bit of a pain but only way to really find out, as if it has damaged the big ends u will have loads of metal crap in ya engine, does it sound like spanners going round in a washing machine
Posted 19th May 2010 at 22:52