displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Tighten up my rear end!
fugs

Regular

Post #1
The rear of my 6 is getting very light and twitchy under heavy braking! I've been told I need solid rear mounts or beams! The car is stripped out for track and so the back is very light! I'm a bit of a novice still with the 306.

Can anyone point me it the right direction!
Posted 18th May 2010 at 02:16
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
how low is it and what rear dampers do you have?

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 18th May 2010 at 02:24
fugs

Regular

Post #3
I can't honestly say how much its been lowered but I would guess 50mm or so. I'm running AVO shocks which are tightened up to the full. I never even thought to loosen them up. Only one track day done and this is my only handeling concern.
Posted 18th May 2010 at 02:29
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #4
Your rear end woes could be a number of things, tired mounts are most likely, so new OE ones or solids are your best bet there. You may also have a shagged rear beam itself. This usualkly manifests itself as a knocking sound and can be seen as excessive camber on the rear wheels as the bearings wear. If you are around the 100k mark chances are all of the rear suspension would benefit from a refresh.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 18th May 2010 at 02:33
fugs

Regular

Post #5
There is definitely no knocking from the rear. Seeing as the car only ever see's track I dunno about the tyre wear situation. I also don't know what work has been done!

When looking under the rear... where are the mounts you talk about? I'm not used to this rear set-up at all. Its very alien to me! I'm usually found under vw's
Posted 18th May 2010 at 02:37
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #6
fugs wrote:
There is definitely no knocking from the rear. Seeing as the car only ever see's track I dunno about the tyre wear situation. I also don't know what work has been done!

When looking under the rear... where are the mounts you talk about? I'm not used to this rear set-up at all. Its very alien to me! I'm usually found under vw's

The mounts can be found living on top of the rear subframe, there are four of them and they allow the rear trailing arms to move around providing a little passive rear steer, they get a little unpredictable when old and past their best though.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 18th May 2010 at 02:43