displaying posts 1 to 15 of 15

Author Subject: Caliper rebuild help
fletch

Track Head

Post #1
Not a GTi-6 but I have a set of 206 GTi Bosch calipers and just bought a rebuild kit.

One slider in the kit has a cut out (presumably for the small rubber sleeve) but im not sure which slider goes in which end of the yoke?

Any ideas?

This is the rebuild kit:

Service box diagram courtesy of Cosmic
Posted 14th May 2010 at 15:50
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #2
Stupid question but have you dismantled them yet? If not then just take them apart and see which ones which.

Oh think i've got some standard pads for 206gti calipers you can have too, from when my mum had a gti Wink

Meh

Seat Leon Cupra FR / 306 GTI6 / Breaking 205 GTI6 / Caterham 7 / Mercedes Sprinter 311CDI LWB

Sold: Fisher Fury - Laguna DCI Estate - P1 306 XSI - E30 BMW 325i Baur Convertible - Daihatsu Fourtack - Suzuki GSXR600 - 205 Rallye
Posted 14th May 2010 at 16:03
fletch

Track Head

Post #3
Yep they were bought without sliders unfortunately been stripped ready to be rebuilt.
Posted 14th May 2010 at 16:04
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #4
Hmm, in which case just try the slider without the cutout in both ends of the yoke, if it doesn't go in one end sling the other slider in that one Dunno

Meh

Seat Leon Cupra FR / 306 GTI6 / Breaking 205 GTI6 / Caterham 7 / Mercedes Sprinter 311CDI LWB

Sold: Fisher Fury - Laguna DCI Estate - P1 306 XSI - E30 BMW 325i Baur Convertible - Daihatsu Fourtack - Suzuki GSXR600 - 205 Rallye
Posted 14th May 2010 at 16:06
fletch

Track Head

Post #5
They both seem to go in each one.
Posted 14th May 2010 at 16:08
al4x

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
won't it be the side away from where its mountedto the hub? its so it can move out to compensate for wear and the boot is so it has room to move out
Posted 14th May 2010 at 16:10
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #7
Think you've missed the point Alex, Matt knows how a sliding caliper works Laugh

Meh

Posted 14th May 2010 at 16:12
fletch

Track Head

Post #8
al4x wrote:
won't it be the side away from where its mountedto the hub? its so it can move out to compensate for wear and the boot is so it has room to move out

What do you mean by that Alex? The yoke is mounted to the hub by two bolts as per the pic
Posted 14th May 2010 at 16:13
fletch

Track Head

Post #9
Best suggestion so far:

quote:
As a guess, I'd say the rubbered slider goes on the side of the caliper nearest the ground, as I think they're designed so you can change the pads by undo-ing the top slider screw and pivoting the caliper outwards revealing the pads.

Then it'd make sense that the lower slider would have some sort of in-built pivot or something.
Posted 14th May 2010 at 17:44
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
The above makes sense to me mate. By the looks of it the little rubber sleeve is slightly larger in diameter than the general slider diameter so it grips the yoke when inserted. Id guess when the top slider is removed the caliper can pivot on the bottom slider and swing down giving you easy access to the pads as suggested. Thats just what id guess at mate, i have never even seen one of those calipers before so i may be wrong LOL

Just Drive It
Posted 14th May 2010 at 21:02
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
As above, lowest bolt so the caliper can pivot for easy pad removal, my 307 calipers are similar, means you can change brake pads by just undoing one 13mm bolt.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 14th May 2010 at 21:07
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
smighall wrote:
Stupid question but have you dismantled them yet? If not then just take them apart and see which ones which.

i thought that when changing the rear pads on a mondeo st but the numptys who fitted the old ones had done each side diferent ie 1 wrong 1 right, i contacted ford technical help to find out which was the right way, havent peugeot got a tech helpline?

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 14th May 2010 at 21:07
fletch

Track Head

Post #13
rallyestyle wrote:
The above makes sense to me mate. By the looks of it the little rubber sleeve is slightly larger in diameter than the general slider diameter so it grips the yoke when inserted. Id guess when the top slider is removed the caliper can pivot on the bottom slider and swing down giving you easy access to the pads as suggested. Thats just what id guess at mate, i have never even seen one of those calipers before so i may be wrong LOL

Yeah it makes sense, just you can do that with the 6 calipers and they have identical sliders I believe.
Posted 14th May 2010 at 22:01
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
^^^ Yes

Long live the Sigma 6 Big grin
Team Phase 1 supercharged

XBL ID: farmer uk1
Posted 15th May 2010 at 23:39
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
fletch wrote:
rallyestyle wrote:

Yeah it makes sense, just you can do that with the 6 calipers and they have identical sliders I believe.

Design evolution? Maybe some of the 6 sliders were seizing to the caliper or something hence the rubber sleeve on the 206 calipers Unsure

Just Drive It
Posted 17th May 2010 at 14:59