displaying posts 1 to 13 of 13

Author Subject: Engine Mounts
greendots

Post #1
Hi All. Seems my engine mounts are on the way out big time Sad clunking engine when I come off the gas, or accelerate/brake at low speeds.

Not sure if its top or bottom mounts that need replacing, and I'm scared of garages after my last visit... wallet will never be the same.

Any ideas where I can order replacement mounts from, with part numbers etc? I know nowt about cars (couldn't find the bottom mount if I had a map), do I just phone a place up with part number and then arrange a garage to fit?

-Cheers all
Posted 13th May 2010 at 01:46
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Ayrshire?

Get to Glasgow and i'll do them

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 13th May 2010 at 02:47
lwgti-6

Senior User

Post #3
Depends if you want standard engine mounts or uprated ones to reduce engine movement and give slightly smoother acceleration.

EX Bianca 6 owner,
Now drives: Octavia vRS
Posted 13th May 2010 at 02:49
greendots

Post #4
Do uprated ones affect comfort? I do 300 miles/week in the 6 so standard ones were fine.

Cwspellowe, how much does it usually cost to sort those things? Will be driving the g/fs 1.1 106 till they're sorted :'( My pedal bike puts out more bhp.
Posted 13th May 2010 at 03:23
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Uprated ones will make the cabin more rattley and imo you'll find engine braking harsher.

With a garage you're looking at a good few hours labour, especially for the lower mount as you have to get the driveshaft out too. Dealers charge about £60-70 per hour, independents about £35-40. For all 3 mounts you could get ripped off!

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 13th May 2010 at 03:56
greendots

Post #6
Whoa where did the 3rd mount come from! I though there was only top + bottom...

Cars suck. This is getting expensive :'(

Do you work for an independent? Would suck paying £70/hour to replace all 3 mounts.
Posted 13th May 2010 at 04:26
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Gearbox mount Wink

I work for me, just handy with the spanners. Don't see the point in paying a garage silly money to do something you can do at home.

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 13th May 2010 at 04:29
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #8
If you have clunking it may be the dreaded cracked engine mount cup on the chassis leg. When you take the top engine mount off, inspect the base of the cup on the chassis where the mount screws on for signs of cracking. It's a very common fault.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 13th May 2010 at 04:31
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
daveyboy wrote:
If you have clunking it may be the dreaded cracked engine mount cup on the chassis leg. When you take the top engine mount off, inspect the base of the cup on the chassis where the mount screws on for signs of cracking. It's a very common fault.

Now that i can't repair, welding's something i'm yet to learn LOL

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 13th May 2010 at 04:33
greendots

Post #10
This just goes from bad to worse Smile

First there's extra mounts, now its a weld-job too.
How do I check the bottom mount for movement? I dont think there's much wiggle in the top one from what I can see.

Dont suppose you're free for a check-up sometime mate Smile

Let me know what might interest you, although will likely be next month before I can get any serious work done.. Be good to know how fecked the car is, lol. Plus its a tapper with unknown last belt change :'(
Posted 13th May 2010 at 04:47
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #11
cwspellowe wrote:
daveyboy wrote:

Now that i can't repair, welding's something i'm yet to learn LOL

There will be someone local who can, just make sure you get a good job from a decent fabricator, not some crappy piece of tin snotted in by a monkey with a welding torch Wink

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 13th May 2010 at 04:47
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Get the O/S wheel off and have a poke around. You can see the driveshaft going through the lower mount, just next to that is the rubber bung. If it's away the rubber will be separating from the mount, maybe a little, maybe a lot.

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 13th May 2010 at 22:51
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
If its clunking i'd have a look at the top mount first to see if the mount or shell has broken. I'd also look at the lower balljoints to make sure they are done up correctly and check the driveshafts for any obvious movement.

None of it is especially bad or expensive.

Gearbox mount doesn't seem to wear as badly as the others so discount that one for now - it won't make it clunk. If you feel you have to wait for the engine to settle when you change gear then also change the lower mount.

How many miles has your car done?

Nothing to see here
Posted 14th May 2010 at 16:59