displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: SORTED - Spax Front Strut & Eibach Spring - Problemo
rotor

Post #1
Hello all...new to the Git6 forum and my first posting too

I read the Eibach coil spring part numbers for the Gti6 are e7011-120.

Can anyone advise what number they see on their spring itself ?

I seem to have a slightly differing number (e7011 001va) on the spring itself Crazy .

After spotting what appears to be a problem with the spring cap not sitting correctly or normal to or central to the top mount I'm wondering if the car has the wrong springs on it. Something doesn't look right when the strut is on the bench as the cap and mount appear to have been contacting and not seating correct to each other.

As mentioned can anyone advise what number they see on their actual spring.

Cheers - Rotor

p.s the top mounts & spring caps are standard to my knowledge.

- Rotor

2000 W Moonstone GTi6
Spax & -30 Eibach Front, Spax & Lowered Rear, Magnex 3", K&N Airbox Filter.
Posted 14th May 2010 at 18:04
craigy_87

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
the eibach springs i recently bought say 7011001 on the spring aswell

and looking at andy's pic here his is the same (i think lol), mind you mine dont have the UT on the coil further up, if that means anything?

Posted 13th May 2010 at 03:10
rotor

Post #3
Spoke to Spax and Eibach. Eibach numbers above are the individual spring numbers (e7011 001va) and the kit number (e7011-120) for the GTi6.

I need to check my actual front damper part numbers but to all intents & purposes Spax have supplied the correct ones ones for the car.

Both companies have been in touch on the tech front to check a few things and they say they're compatible. The is when i release the spring compressor the spring tensions into the upper & lower spring cap and forces the top cap slightly sideways and it ends up sitting off center to the upper strut mount/bearing.

The springs are the right way around. The upper cap is OEM and the top mount is a Kayaba OEM replacement. I also have the old top mounts and there's no diff whatever i fit.

When its all assembled on the bench its described as above.

Anyone else have expriance of Spax PSX & Eibach's on a 6 ?

OR Anyone have any pics of the strut/spring assembled under tension showing how the upper cap sits in relation to the top mount ??

Safe to say i'm lost on this one for the time being grrrrr lol

- Rotor

2000 W Moonstone GTi6
Posted 13th May 2010 at 22:43
greenbelt

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Can't help with the numbers but I know the springs need to be compressed (quite a lot) before the spring cap lines up properly

If you don't have decent spring compressors it is a real pig of a job Dry

Standard Black 6
Black HBSC6 Smoke
Posted 13th May 2010 at 23:13
rotor

Post #5
SORTED

The bearings in the top mounts were in the wrong way around.....blush....eeeeek.

But seriously they we're in wrong on the removed OEM ones and wrong, as supplied, in the new Kayaba one's. A friend sussed it out so a few pints owed there hahaha. Amazingly enough the car had the struts & mounts removed in recent years by a Pug dealer during replacement of snapped OEM springs.

Anyway when the right way around there's a bushed section of the bearing thats seats down & into the upper spring cap. The wrong way around and the bearing is flat so the cap is never going be held centrally under spring tension and only ever shift sidewards from the mount.

Hey ho another live & lean experience on the sixer albeit red-faced haha.

- Rotor

2000 W Moonstone GTi6
Posted 14th May 2010 at 18:06