displaying posts 1 to 25 of 516

Pages (21): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: Sigma to Sundance
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hey guys, over the next few months i'll be looking at moving on from the Sigma for a newer model, so figured i'd throw a thread up of its life since i bought it from c4lks last August. Why not, eh?

Like I said, took a gamble when buying the motor, had to travel about 300 miles to pick iy up, some of you might remember me taking a box of Tamiflu on the train with me to a) create mass hysteria and Cool get four seats to myself. WIN. That's kinda irrelevant but just thought i'd remind you swine flu kills Ninja

Anyway the car turned out to be half decent, especially considering its age. Peter (c4lks) had the motor for about 6 years before i relieved him of it for a bargain price. 130k on the clock, but it had had the cambelt done 15k previously and had extensive head work as a previous snapper, and had rigorous servicing. Started first time every time with no ticking Smile Then again, he kept the leather interior for his XSi and there were a few dodgy goings on with the car, most obviously some shagged rear beam mounts and a couple of bald tyres. Still, can't complain for the money, and off we set back oppp naarth.

Wee cheeky stop in Blackpool to see the 'rents, get moaned at for having bald tyres and not having phoned in about 3 months. Typical.

Back off to Glasgow to introduce it to its new home, where it'll be loved and cherished and valued more than my pregnant fiancée. But she'll never know that Wink Few cheeky shots by Ullswater, and a run in with an interesting chap. Search for Jumpstarting Jew if you don't know the tale LOL

And of to work on the first job, those embarassing beam mounts. They were that bad the car spun in the wet at about 15mph round a lightly cambered bend. In traffic. Oops. Whipped 'em out quick sharp (well, it took bloody ages actually) and she's right as rain. For now.

After that a window clip shat a brick. Being a Sunday i couldn't get one at short notice, so i tried to bodge it with some superglue and some random red plastic, It held for 24 hours then popped back out Doh So off to Pug for a new 'un

Next up, a clean bill of health. Passed the MOT second time, just needed 2x front ball joints, an emissions retest Whistle and the O/S/R calliper freeing up to pass the handbrake test, not bad for a 13 year old kid.

Finally the cosmetic work started. Fair enough some stuff looked gash, but i was trying to find the look that i loved. Which meant trial and error. A lot of error LOL
First up, yellow lenses:

Agreeably, the indicators looked shite. So they went. But the fogs looked Cool
Next up, phase 2 badges and tail lights

Tidied the back end up nicely imo, just a few nice little touches to spruce things up. After being stored for a while it was looking kinda tired.

Little bits an' bats aside, time for something more striking. Alwyas had a thing for white wheels, both on my old 106 and 205, so it was the obvious choice for this cr. Plus the potential Sigma has in the sun, the contrast would look epic.

Rattle cans a-plenty =

Oh, and the mirrors (it seemed like a good idea at the time Erm?)

I'm knackered, i'll do part 2 in a bit. Probably have a w*nk or something first.

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 9th Jul 2011 at 02:35
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Ok, so after a bit of a think, i decided the indicators and mirror caps had to go. Lets be honest.. they look shit. Whipped 'em off for some standard jobbies and headed on up to Ecosse for the RR day. 175bhp at the fly, 145lbft. Not bad considering it was the oldest motor there but in arguably the best nick for a standard normally aspirated one.

A wee thrash when i got home revealed a hidden problem, the ball joint of the longer gear linkage had worn away, so when I changed from 2nd to 3rd vigorously it popped off, leaving me in 3rd about 10 miles from home. Turns pout whoever had noticed the problem originally had cable tied the linkages together Laugh my ass off
Quick call to Miles and they were all replaced with some shiny new ones, made such a difference to the gear change, for a start they don't fall off Laugh my ass off

A few weeks later, a near mint P2 leather and alcantra interior came up for sale about 20 miles away, so snapped that up quick and Wave poverty spec blue shitty interior. Finally looking like a GTi again Cool

So yeah, that was the car looking how it should Smile

The next few months were an absolute nightmare though. After an argument with a patch of ice, the rear beam took a battering and the N/S stub axle got all Darren Bent on me, and the tracking got knocked out of alignemtn. This all happened in December, mid-snowstorm, so imagine the fun i had sorting out that mess in 2 feet of snow. Had it been dry, the car would have been driveable, but in the snow you could feel the back end pulling out to one side. Out came the snowsuit, gloves, and debit card again LOL

After replacing the TRE's, stub axle and getting the car aligned again... all was well for now. So money could be spent on cosmetic things again. Bring on the HEKO wind deflectors, no more wet laps when burning cancer sticks in the rain LOL

And courtesy of chrisd306, new OE discs and pads all round. Made me realise how shagge dthe old discs and pads were, some were down to the bare metal! Shock

All was well in the world of Chris. Until the steering saga started...

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 5th May 2010 at 05:07
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Nice write up Thumbs up

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
Forum Search Clicky
Posted 5th May 2010 at 16:22
craigy_87

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
good to see it thrown together in one thread lol
was wondering who made this thread when i seen the title, should have known haha

out of interest how much were the brakes from chris?
Posted 5th May 2010 at 17:02
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Mate brilliant write up! I think that's the first time I've bothered to read everything the person has posted!

Nice car too! Wink LOL

Deepak Gohil

Posted 5th May 2010 at 17:17
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Has it not been lowered since? Whistle

Sad Ex-Black 6 Ninja - Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.
Posted 5th May 2010 at 22:57
rwgti

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Nice read Thumbs up

Team Astor Grey Supercharged GTI 6

Posted 5th May 2010 at 23:23
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Not finished yet bawbags, don't forget it was nearly midnight and the wee man was due a feed LOL

LOADS more to write up. And a few new chapters once i get my servicing bits and pieces and cambelt kit Cool

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 6th May 2010 at 03:09
tea boy

Senior User

Post #9
cwspellowe wrote:

Do you always drive with your eyes closed?
No wonder you crashed itBig grin

Nice story, enjoyed reading it.

Make tea, not war.

If it ain't broke......fix it until it is.
Posted 6th May 2010 at 04:49
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
That's the glare of the Blackpool sun LOL

Was gonna type some more up but the wee man's kept me up til silly o'clock again. Beer then sex then bed me thinks, more tomorrow.

Story that is. And probably more sex and beer too.

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 6th May 2010 at 05:07
xav

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
nice write up chris Thumbs up havent seen you about in the last few months though. i take it youre in the chair with some slippers watching countdown from now on Laugh

cwspellowe wrote:

A wee thrash when i got home revealed a hidden problem, the ball joint of the longer gear linkage had worn away, so when I changed from 2nd to 3rd vigorously it popped off, leaving me in 3rd about 10 miles from home

you sure it wasnt caused by your antics on that roundabout at hermie gate. understeer.. understeer.. POWER!! TURN!!

did ye aye?

Ex Spoox/Trac Prep GTi6 16v turbo - the money pit
Posted 10th May 2010 at 04:47
kit

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
tea boy wrote:
cwspellowe wrote:

Do you always drive with your eyes closed?
No wonder you crashed itBig grin

He always drives like that now. Too much baby p*ss in the eyes LOL

Racing driver, fighter pilot, astronaut, compulsive liar.
Posted 10th May 2010 at 15:22
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
xav wrote:

you sure it wasnt caused by your antics on that roundabout at hermie gate. understeer.. understeer.. POWER!! TURN!!

Laugh my ass off

dick Dry

I'm actually gonna update this soon, woop!

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 11th May 2010 at 00:25
mike306

Senior User

Post #14
For some odd reason, I dont think I've noticed the numberplate before Blink Must just be totally unobservant LOL
Good write up (so far LOL) I would start one of my own but I can't afford any modifications yet (or even fix the things that really need doing, will end up having to sell it at this rate :<<Wink

High boost '6 for weekends
406 2.1 Executive for weekdays
Posted 11th May 2010 at 01:35
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Part 3 - the steering saga

Ok so we start with the car looking as so:

This is the bit that's been p*ssing me off for a while. When i got the car i knew a balljoint was on its way out and the steering was pulling to the left slightly as weight shifted during cornering. Replaced this and all was fine until just after winter when it started doing it again. Urgh.

During the next couple of months i spent weeks trying to figure out the problem. Included in the list of replacement parts are..

Driveshaft
Wishbones
Struts
Top mounts and bearings
Droplinks

As well as the parts replaced for the MOT, that was pretty much a full suspension overhaul. And still no joy.

Then one day it hit me. I was just putting the wheel back on after another failed attempt to figure it out when i noticed the balljoint on the O/S had dropped ever so slightly. Upon closer inspection i saw the bolt i'd used didn't have a plain shank so the thread was wearing away on the bolt. The more it wore away, the worse the pull in the steering got, As the bolt turned slightly in the pinch, the thread was locking it in position again until a bit more thread wore off and the play got worse again. That explained why som days it was bad and others you could hardly tell. Also the reason why it was so f*cking dangerous, mid corner it could let go and you end up in a field somewhere. Not that that ever happened mind Dry

Anyway problem solved, time to get cracking with the restoration, percy. per say. potato/bitaty.

Standard interiors are out this Summer, so out came the black gearknob top, black dials, black centre console and steering wheel, in with white dials, Momo Millennium, Silver dash, alloy gearknob top and blue bulbs. Win.

And a quick wash, clay bar and wax to clean up some grubby looking paint

And so ends today's reading LOL

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 9th Aug 2010 at 03:35
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #16
Good going chap Thumbs up
Posted 11th May 2010 at 03:11
tea boy

Senior User

Post #17
The car is looking nice.
Steering wheel is a bit too fussy for me though.
Glad you sorted the steering.
Looking forward to part 4.

Make tea, not war.

If it ain't broke......fix it until it is.
Posted 11th May 2010 at 03:23
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Part 4 - Some other things that happened, some on purpose, some by chance

Finally getting to where the car is today, i've probably missed loads but f*ck it, not like anyone's been reading this!

Had a bit of a play around for March's POTM competition, couple of beers and some permanent markers andlet your imagination run wild LOL

Oh and also went for a drive and found a lot of snow, and a lake i never even knew existed about 10 miles from home. Think this is possibly one of my favourite pics of the car ever, i literally had to beat one out before i could even leave Laugh my ass off

And a boggin' one down by the Forth Road Bridge. Did you know, by the time they've finished painting it all the way along, it's time to start again at the other end? I did, and it didn't improve my life whatsoever knowing that.

A few weeks later, the most exciting thing in my life ever happened. Some of you may know already, but some don't, but here he is, the apple of my eye. All he does is sleep all day but i still Love him

It's Dave, the Ribena man!!!!

But soon after he popped and died so i replaced him with wee Phoenix Alexander and realised I won't be boosting for a while, selfish little shit head Sad

And then not much happened for a few weeks. Too busy drying cot sheets and wiping furniture down thanks to Captain Shityerpants and his sidekick E. P. Zevrywhere...

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 11th May 2010 at 16:22
ken

Senior User

Post #19
hahahhaha good shout getting the kid that! love it!

good little write up mate Big grin

Team Black Rallye Big grin
xbox live - Xx 7 kenny 7 xX

Posted 14th May 2010 at 03:20
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
Love it car looks awesome

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 17th May 2010 at 18:46
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Love it car looks awesome

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 17th May 2010 at 18:47
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
Well, in between feeds and baths and changing nappies i've found some time to play around, unfortunately it looks like i'll be selling my trusty sigma some timein the next few months and getting a newer sexier model, so all my efforts have been aimed at making the car as pretty as possible in the mean time.

Here's a couple of macro shots to ponder, taken with a Sony Ericsson C902 mobile phone. Was for the POTM comp and im surprised how well the pictures came out.

Note the custom Peugeot Sport horn button Cool

The list is as follows:

Kerbed wheels that were subject to some awful winter weather
Cambelt change
Service bar the brakes (Fuel + oil filters, plugs, engine and gearbox oils, brakes were changed a few months back) done
Lowering the car (the old shocks were knackered, especially the rears) done
Rear subframe mounts (the rear ones this time) done
Wonky exhaust done
Refurbing the wiper arms done
Cleaning up the exterior plastics done
Replacing the front O/S wing (the old one had some peeling paint I tried to repair with some rattle cans and ended up with a totally different coloured wing Laugh)
Replacing the front O/S hub as the balljoint hole is slightly ovalled
Hammeriting the chassis done
Painting the brake callipers done

Well they were the things I prioritised, but a few things got tinkered with too.. more later Ninja

First up, chrisd306 had some Gmax supersport front shocks and springs for the bargain price of £80 that had only done a couple of thousand miles, was rude not to get them. Then figured I might as well do the rear shocks too and soon after, some Citroen ZX Volcane shocks were on their way to me (chosen because they're slightly shorter and stiffer than GTI6 ones, perfect for a lowered beam on standard tb's)

I had a crack at the rear beam but after seeing just how seized even the ARB was i guessed i'd be better paying a garage to do it, I was driving myself insane and getting nowhere. The fronts on the other hand were a piece of piddle to swap over, the Gmax struts even came with top mounts. Threw on some new droplinks for good measure, the old ones were only 18 months old but the price they are I could afford to get the hacksaw out LOL

Then the car got a service. I've always valued a garage service history but tbh as i've got older i've noticed even garages employ absolute morons, one garage I won't name cross threaded a spark plug on my old 106 which caused all kind of problems...

So yeah I decided f*ck it, might as well just do it myself, it's not complicated on the gti6 (except the coil pack cover bolt by the reservoir Laugh my ass off) so a sunny Saturday saw me elbow deep in oil trying to find the sump plug that fell out into the bucket Laugh my ass off. The crushable washer was a bargain seen as my motorfactor just gave me them, Pug wanted £2 for one and I got 3 free Cool. Ran a de-coke treatment through the engine at fast idle for 15 minutes with plenty of pops and bangs out the back, topped her up and just like that, engine sweet as a nut. 140k and doesn't miss a beat Smile

Fuel filter was another story, the old one must have been on there donkeys years as it snapped off in the connector leaving it unusable, so out came the stanley knife and off to the scrappy to rob a connector off a Xsara. That + some wheel calliper bolts = £0. Everyone knows if it fits in your pocket at the scrappy you don't pay for it Whistle

Service - done Smile

Then came the rear beam mounts. The forward ones were done earlier in my onership of the sexy b*tch so just had to replace the rears, and my god was it easy. Know why? The rubber had completely perished and sheared off, splitting them in two on both sides :O Literally took me ten mins to jack the car up, unbolt the old ones and fit the new ones.

Subframe mounts - done

Next couple of jobs, seen as the car was on axle stands, was to refurb the wheels and paint the brakes. I was only supposed to be out the house for about 3 hours and ended up being 12 Laugh my ass off I was sure in trouble that day. And the next day when I spent another 10 hours finishing off undersealing the car and changing my Dad-in-law's fuel pump (tank out job )

Originally i'd done the wheels in Toyota White 040. I thought I had another couple of tins lying around but after painting one wheel I realised i'd spied three tins of Ford graphite grey, not white Doh

Being the lazy c*nt I am I chose to use the grey instead of trekking into town to get more white, just wanted them looking in good nick again but as I painted more and more they really grew on me. Then I got a bit carried away and did the GTi badges too. And bought bininoz's smoked indicators. ANd decided I wanted my car looking evil from now on Ninja Washed, waxed, polished and cuddled, car was looking lovely again. And I realised that red callipers would look awesome under graphite grey wheels, so off they came again and out came the Hammerite smooth.

Loads of stuff - done

And finally, the last bit of DIY for the last month or so were the homemade black masks. There's a thread on how to do them in the Exterior forum, i'll c&p 'cos yes, i'm f*cking lazy.

**EDIT and finally FINALLY, some tinkering. Mon the advanced inlet timing Cool

Really should start on the rest of the jobs one day but for now I have some induction noise to pay for Whistle more on that when funds allow

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 23rd May 2010 at 03:49
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
Part 6 (i think, I lost track Dunno) - black masks

Well this was surprisingly easy, only took me an hour and a half to remove the headlights and indicators, black mask 'em and pop them back on the car!

I wanted to make some black masks or tinted lights that wouldn't affect the already shite visibility from the phase 1 lights. These were twin optics but the process is the same for the singles.

Here's how i did eeeet

Step 1:

Pop the hood, remove the front grille, the indicators, then the headlights themselves held on by a bolt up top and a nut each side. You do know how to do this, right?

Step 2:

Starting with the headlights, unclip the 6 spring clips, shown below, and prise the glass off the casing. It's only a foam seal so don't worry about trying to unstick it.

Then you're left with this

Step 3:

Undo the two securing screws on the grey plastic surround and unclip at the bottom, and you'll be looking at this

Step 4:

Get out the rattle cans and paint the plastic surround as you all know how, sand between layers, primer first and colour on top

Step 5:

Wait for the lovely matt black to dry and reassemble the unit. Take a step back and look at the £150 you saved yourself by not buying angel eyes LOL

Indicators

Step 1:

Whack the indicators in the oven at about 80 degrees for 15 minutes. The glue doesn't soften up completely but rather makes it brittle.

Step 2:

CAREFULLY prise apart the lens from the housing. These were my first attemp so I got a couple of cracks on the lenses, but with more patience and careful hands it's possible to remove them safely. Once again you'll be looking at something like this:

Step 3:

Mask off the internal lens and spray down the reflectors. Unlike the headlight reflectors, these don't do much as the bulb is held in its own little lens anyway, so barely any light lost here.

Step 4:

Reassemble using some silicon sealant, you could use superglue if you're a pikey but that won't keep the water out Wink

Finally

Stick 'em back on the car, replace the grille and hockey sticks and admire your new 'ardlooking headlights.

(It got dark while I was doing them so not the best pics, i'll get more when its light tomorrow)

Enjoy Smile

As promised, daytime pics

As a direct comparison, subtle but different enough Smile

Bear in mind the pic on the right has been photoshopped, and the car was clean LOL

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 23rd May 2010 at 03:55
vernam616

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
Good write up Thumbs up

No No to them naughty blue led bulbs in the clock though

Audi S3 Black Edition
Posted 23rd May 2010 at 05:02
JWP EFi

Turbo Legend!

Post #25