displaying posts 1 to 19 of 19

Author Subject: Knocking Doing My F-king Head In!!!
kit

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Update bottom of the page.

Racing driver, fighter pilot, astronaut, compulsive liar.
Posted 28th Apr 2010 at 20:28
kit

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Anyone?

Posted 24th Apr 2010 at 21:28
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Is it just through the pedal?

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 25th Apr 2010 at 02:13
kit

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
The knocking itself feels like it's below and in front of the pedals but I can feel it when I depress the clutch and now it's doing it regardless if the clutch is up or down. I don't think I've felt it when braking or accelerating or through the steering wheel, etc.

Posted 27th Apr 2010 at 20:25
kit

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
OK, both Spitfire and Sparky1984 have now been in/driven my car and can deffinately hear the knocking.

I've managed to run it to a local garage whilst at work. Just got it back and they can't hear the knock They have had it up on the ramp and driven it and can't find anything wrong.

It's now in tomorrow morning at another local garage and I guarantee they probably won't find anything wrong with it either. The knocking is deffinately there, I'm not going mad, I have witnesses LOL I can only assume it's suspension related, but maybe something totally different?

Any help/ideas appreciated.

Posted 27th Apr 2010 at 19:30
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
How constant is it? Does it increase/decrease with revs?

Just Drive It
Posted 27th Apr 2010 at 20:49
kit

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
It only appears to happen when the car is at very low revs, like pulling out of a junction, parking, creeping forward in a traffic jam, etc. I don't think revving effects the knock, it just does it when it wants in the above situations Confused

Garage can't find anything and didn't even hear it. Low and behold within the first 2 minutes of driving back to work it knocks Roll eyes

It seems much more prominent in traffic and it will go knock-knock-knock-knock as the car moves slowly forwards. IIRC, when accelarting hard/fast it doesn't knock.

Posted 27th Apr 2010 at 21:01
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
If it only happens when going really slowly then im not sure it would be suspension/transmission related. Maybe get the garage to check the lower mount tomorrow as dipping the clutch would generate more engine vibration i think.

Just Drive It
Posted 27th Apr 2010 at 21:14
kit

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Ok cheers mate. I have also noticed a strange ticking noise on idle as if there is a bolt jumping around underneath the car. It sounds similar to the sound of an injector but only happens for 3 seconds then stops for say 15 seconds then happens again. Hard to describe it. Sounds like it's coming from the same area the knock is coming from, i.e. pedal/cat/manifold area.

EDIT - Just reversed it into the drive and felt it a bit through the steering if that helps?

Posted 27th Apr 2010 at 23:15
ken

Senior User

Post #10
a few things i can think of

droplinks
lower engine mount
maybe a driveshaft?

im not sure, my car did it and it was the engine mount but nothign as your saying just knocked from time to time lol

Team Black Rallye Big grin
xbox live - Xx 7 kenny 7 xX

Posted 27th Apr 2010 at 23:58
kit

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Cheer Ken. I'll get them to have a look at all of the above.

Posted 28th Apr 2010 at 01:30
kit

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
OK, second garage can't locate the knock. It seems it doesn't knock when they take it out, but as soon as I get it back it knocks to high heaven! I've asked this mechanic to take it out again, whether or not it will suddenly start knocking for him on the second run I don't know.

They have checked the exhaust to see if it is contacting the subframe, drop links, engine mounts, drive shaft, etc, and can't find anything wrong.

I am starting to loose my mind. I have two other members confirm it is knocking and have heard it while driving it and also sitting in the passenger seat.

Any other suggestions before I break down in tears behind my office desk? LOL

Posted 28th Apr 2010 at 15:01
dunebugs

Junior User

Post #13
I had a similar sort of knock but when pulling away changed bottom mount drivshafts etc and it turned out to be the downpipe was knocking on the anti roll bar. when it was on a ramp it looked fine but with engine under load it knocked. I ended up getting some chocks for the top mount and it's perfect now
Posted 28th Apr 2010 at 15:27
kit

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Thanks. I'll let them know and see what happens. I am just getting sick of it TBH. I know it's only a knock but it really gets on my nerves and obviously shouldn't be knocking!

Posted 28th Apr 2010 at 15:37
dunebugs

Junior User

Post #15
Just ask them when it's on the ramp to put it in gear and bounce te clutch to put load on the engine while some 1s having a look it's the only way I found mine anyway good luck lol
Posted 28th Apr 2010 at 16:50
kit

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Just rang them, he's checked the exhaust system too, everything, and still nothing wrong or obvious.

I'm taking one of them out for a drive at 1pm to hopefully get it knocking so at least they can hear it and maybe locate where it is coming from. I'm getting very sick of this. It's not like it's a small knock either, it's very distinctive and clunky.

I will ask them to do what you suggested dune and see if that makes any difference Sad

Posted 28th Apr 2010 at 17:35
kit

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
*UPDATE*

Right, I took him out in the car and he deffinately heard it. It's a knocking/clunking sound linked in time with the car's movement.

I went down a small hill in first at very low speed and kept the clutch depressed and it went clunk-clunk-clunk as the car crept forward. I applied the brakes and it slowed down with the car, but braking didn't stop the noise and lifting off the clutch didn't stop it either. He said maybegearbox or wheel bearing related but hard to say.

He's had another look and has said it's such a quiet noise under load that it's impossible to hear it on a ramp. He has told me to bring it back when it gets worse, TBH I want it sorted now.

Any other ideas? Close but no cigar Sad

Posted 28th Apr 2010 at 20:28
kit

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
You won't believe this. Went to pick my car up and one of the bolts was missing from the front passenger side wheel. We found it at the end of the garage driveway, turns out a second bolt was also finger loose. Tightened them up and so far so good, the knock seems to have gone. I've taken her over speed bumps, down the highstreet, down hills, a quick blast and haven't heard or felt it.

Would this really of made a knocking noise from below the pedals!? I assume it must of been the wheel not sitting flush against the hub?

Posted 28th Apr 2010 at 22:54
ken

Senior User

Post #19
bloody hell mate. Didnt think of that? I would of thought you would of felt it more through the steering wheel. But at last you found the problem. Smile

Team Black Rallye Big grin
xbox live - Xx 7 kenny 7 xX

Posted 29th Apr 2010 at 06:01