displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: Xsara rear beam
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #1
... For an HDi Shock

You were thinking this thread related to a Xsara with its three letters from the lower half of the alphabet, but no! Dry

Muchos personas on this forum are well versed in the differences of the PSA range, so I figured somebody would be able to help.
The query is this: the brother's 2001 HDi has the dreaded squeek - so the beam is kaput. He is on a budget and I just wanted to know what (if any) other beams from other PSA marques will fit the vehicle. For example 306 Gti/Xsi/HDi or Xsara Vts/Vtr/any other rear disk breaked model etc etc.

Are there any major suspension differences between the beams that would mean it'd be dangerous/silly to fit it? My brother cares not for specific handling qualities or suspension set ups, he just needs a rear disc beam that works.

I understand that the ubiquitous Vts beam has the holy grail of tortion bars, consequently the premium for one of these fine beasts is high. However if a 306 Xsi beam (for example) will fit, then is there a problem with using it?

Posted 16th Apr 2010 at 03:22
anderoo

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
If you want a straight swap you need to check the abs ring + sensors as well as the brakes.

You might alse need to check whether you need the rear brake compensator. Unsure Dunno how different the beams are with/without them.

Different beams have different sized torsion bars set to different ride heights, anti-roll bars and also the trailing arms which provide different camber and toe iirc.

I'd measure the torsion bars that are currently fitted and at least get a beam that is similarly equipped.

Pics of my 6
My 6 on Google Video thanks to coxy306Xsi
Posted 16th Apr 2010 at 12:51
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #3
Cheers for that, Andy.

Probably best then, to source a specific Xsara HDi beam that will go straight on with no alterations Smile
Posted 16th Apr 2010 at 22:19
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I fitted a HDi Meridian beam to mine as i got it free. My original HDi Dturbo beam (same as GTi6) made it to 188K before the wheel started to lean in on the drivers side.

TBH i've not really noticed the difference on a standard car, it doesn't even sit higher. There is scope for chopping and changing but not sure specifically what differs to the Xsara.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 18th Apr 2010 at 08:25