displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: R1 bodies! what do you reckon?
t0mt0m

Regular

Post #1
well.. I'm considering doing a yenny conversion with the R1 throttle bodies! just wondering what people think of this? is it worthwhile for power gains or just shearly a nice engine note? also what R1 carbs would I require? as i know they are a few variations.

Also I hear that you need a remap once fitted.. this may sound like a major newbie question but..
can you get the standard ecu remapped? or do you need a programmable unit such as megasquirt etc..? any help would be appreciated!
thanks!!
tom Smile

1997 Diablo Red 1.6 xs! crashed and scrapped!
1998 Nile blue Gti 6
1999 Yamaha R6! maybe for sale soonish still in two minds!
Posted 14th Apr 2010 at 02:54
mxcrazy

Regular

Post #2
t0mt0m wrote:
well.. I'm considering doing a yenny conversion with the R1 throttle bodies! just wondering what people think of this? is it worthwhile for power gains or just shearly a nice engine note? also what R1 carbs would I require? as i know they are a few variations.

Also I hear that you need a remap once fitted.. this may sound like a major newbie question but..
can you get the standard ecu remapped? or do you need a programmable unit such as megasquirt etc..? any help would be appreciated!
thanks!!
tom Smile

Stock ECU is mappable by Wayne at chipwizards.

For any decent power gains you will need decent trumpets, for the shape and overall tract length. Using silicone joiners to connect the bodies to a manifold is not a good idea either, solidly mounted is far better idea.
Posted 14th Apr 2010 at 03:03
t0mt0m

Regular

Post #3
i take it the silicone joiners will restrict airflow because of the internal ridges Smile also i hear people are porting there inlet manifolds to the cylinder heads so im guessing this is a pretty important factor in performance

1998 Nile blue Gti 6
Posted 14th Apr 2010 at 03:38
mxcrazy

Regular

Post #4
t0mt0m wrote:
i take it the silicone joiners will restrict airflow because of the internal ridges Smile also i hear people are porting there inlet manifolds to the cylinder heads so im guessing this is a pretty important factor in performance

Not necessarily flow, but movement more than anything.

Porting the manifold isnt necessary either, just maybe making sure it is port matched to the head.

Ive got a semi butchered manifold if its of any interest to you, was going to modify it retaining the plenum but going ITB's now.

Aslong as you can rigidly mount the bodies to the manifold, and get some trumpets in the back of them you should be on to not only a nice sounding set up, but one with some gains too.

42mm is big enough for the bodies bore. Quite a common size too.
Posted 14th Apr 2010 at 03:43
t0mt0m

Regular

Post #5
hmm.. I see... ! are you selling the plenum also? I will have a spare manifold soon so its all good.. is the plenum shearly there to retain the use of the sensors? thanks!

1998 Nile blue Gti 6
Posted 14th Apr 2010 at 03:47
astragsi237

Regular

Post #6
Just happen to have a set of R1 bodies exactly the same as yanni used in his conversion for sale if your interested

Phase 1 bianca white GTi-6:SOLD
Phase 2 blaze yellow d-turbo:Off to scrap heaven
Phase 2.5 platinum silver GTi-6:Just purchased :-D
Posted 14th Apr 2010 at 03:52
t0mt0m

Regular

Post #7
how much and are they ready for use?? what comes with them? thanks!!

1998 Nile blue Gti 6
Posted 14th Apr 2010 at 03:54
astragsi237

Regular

Post #8
Looking for £100,there the 5pw model exactly the same ones if your following yanni's guide! They've basically come straight off a bike,so as you'd expect everything is intact! I bought them last year in a bid to do the conversion myself but have changed my mind to focus on the tyres,brakes & suspension of my track car instead!

Phase 1 bianca white GTi-6:SOLD
Phase 2 blaze yellow d-turbo:Off to scrap heaven
Phase 2.5 platinum silver GTi-6:Just purchased :-D
Posted 14th Apr 2010 at 04:00
mxcrazy

Regular

Post #9
t0mt0m wrote:
hmm.. I see... ! are you selling the plenum also? I will have a spare manifold soon so its all good.. is the plenum shearly there to retain the use of the sensors? thanks!

I meant the plenum part of the stock intake manifold, ive cut it in half Whistle on yannis conversion using the small plenum connected to the bike injector positions is to, as you say, retain the sensors and bits.
Posted 14th Apr 2010 at 04:06
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Has anyone done a back to back on these? only reason I say is I have done 2 mi engines to the same spec with GTi6 inlet manifold and proper Bodies both made the same power and torque figures and seeing a few 6's with bodies the gains are not that great

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 14th Apr 2010 at 07:31