displaying posts 1 to 14 of 14

Author Subject: Head work
monkgti

Regular

Post #1
well lads......after a costly mistake when changing the t-belt the head has to come off now to do the valves, what im wondering is that while the head is off is there anything else worth doing such as a port and polish or a skim or changing any other parts in the head in general?? ive been talking to an engine tuner and he says that getting the head ported and polished could actually loose torque if im not changing the cams aswell, but i havnt really got the money for cams aswell at the moment so was thinking mabey if i decided to get them in the future they'd work better with some head work already done but then agan if i dont end up getting cams i dont want to be spending money just to loose power either Crazy

IF YOU CAN READ THIS IM STILL IN 5TH!!!
Posted 13th Apr 2010 at 19:31
mxcrazy

Regular

Post #2
Have a decent 3 angle cut done on the inatake seats, maybe only a 2 angle on the exhaust side, to keep contact area between seat and valve to a reasonable standard to help dissipate the heat, blend the valve seats into the port if it needs it and match the manifolds, and leave it at that. This is just echoing what i have seen/been told by the way.

Make sure if you are having bent valves replaced to have the guides checked for true too.

The 6 head is very good as standard, it takes alot of work by someone that knows them well to get a substantial gain.

Bigger isnt necessarily better remember.
Posted 13th Apr 2010 at 19:46
monkgti

Regular

Post #3
so its not worth it then? ive heard that alright that the 306 head is very good as standard... i got a price on the port polish, 300euro...... what about a skim then? would it be worth getting this done?

Posted 14th Apr 2010 at 05:28
monkgti

Regular

Post #4
anymore opinions lads as ill be taking the head off next week??

Posted 15th Apr 2010 at 03:32
monkgti

Regular

Post #5
any advice atall???

Posted 17th Apr 2010 at 03:44
mxcrazy

Regular

Post #6
If it needs a skim have it skimmed, if not leave it. If you are thinking about putting cams into it then remember that piston to valve clearance isnt good as stock, it would be worth having the pistons machined with better valve cut outs in whilst the engine is apart.
Posted 17th Apr 2010 at 18:00
monkgti

Regular

Post #7
quick update, i got the head off today and cannot see any marks on the valves or any sign of any been bent Huh? ?? but its after been dropped to an engineering shop now and the said they'll take all the valves out to check them anyway

Posted 6th May 2010 at 00:57
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Hiya mate,

They will not look bent at all. I spent ages grappling with this issue when rebuilding my head. In the end I measured them myself and I had to replace two as they were quite out.

Results are in my project thread (toward the end pages) - link available in the "Work carried out in West London" Clicky in my Signature.

Hope it helps.

Deepak Gohil

Posted 6th May 2010 at 01:58
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Change the valve guides too to be sure

Nothing to see here
Posted 6th May 2010 at 03:00
monkgti

Regular

Post #10
thanks lads, oh i made it clear to the engineer to make sure and check every single thing and replace anything that needs replacing!

Posted 6th May 2010 at 18:47
monkgti

Regular

Post #11
engineer just rang me, said that 2 inlet valves were bent and that everything else was fine, so their fitting 2 new valves, all new valve seals and lapping in all the valves and also giving the head a slight skim

Posted 6th May 2010 at 21:56
jcphat

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Bent valves usually means bent valve guides- false economy not to change them too?

New Forum same high quality intellectual debate!
Team Zimmer™
Posted 7th May 2010 at 02:38
monkgti

Regular

Post #13
well i did tell them to check everything and anything that looks like it needs replacing to replace it and they assured me everything else was ok so they better be right about it!!

Posted 7th May 2010 at 03:27
monkgti

Regular

Post #14
just a quick update, car went back together today and its quiter and smoother than it ever was Smile
even the slight ticking noise that was always in it when it got hot is gone! also while the head was off looked like a good time to change the clutch cable as it looked way more accessable, and lads the difference is unbelievable not even half as stiff to press as it was and the funny thing is that the old one doesnt feel siezed or anything to pull and push with your handHuh?

Posted 16th May 2010 at 02:54