displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Drive shaft removal?
fugs

Regular

Post #1
I want to change the drive seal in my drive shafts. How do you remove the shaft from the box? Does it just pull out or is there something holding it in?
Posted 10th Apr 2010 at 00:12
stuart638

Regular

Post #2
Passenger side pull straight out. Drivers side, you need to undo the little hockey stick bolts in the lower engine mount. It 'should' then just pull out. If it's not been removed for a while, you may need to use a persuasion tool to free the bearing from the housing.

Nothing holding the shafts in the diff though.

Hope this helps....Stu
Posted 10th Apr 2010 at 01:18
fugs

Regular

Post #3
Thanks. Is the drive seal just in behind that than?
Posted 10th Apr 2010 at 01:41
stuart638

Regular

Post #4
The seals are in either side of the diff housing. The bearing half way along the drivers side shaft just sits in the metal housing of the lower mount.
Posted 10th Apr 2010 at 02:41
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
stuart638 wrote:
Passenger side pull straight out. Drivers side, you need to undo the little hockey stick bolts in the lower engine mount. It 'should' then just pull out. If it's not been removed for a while, you may need to use a persuasion tool to free the bearing from the housing.

Nothing holding the shafts in the diff though.

Hope this helps....Stu

Im having driveshaft seal issues on my passanger side shaft, am i right in assuming theres nowt holding the shaft in the box (circlip wise?)?

I cant see any groove in the shaft where one would locate and the shaft just slid out of the box with no resistance what so ever.

Normally on previous cars, ive had to pop the shafts out with a pry bar, on the 306 it almost fell out LOL

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 28th Apr 2010 at 01:53
fugs

Regular

Post #6
Thats normal Matt. Mine fell out to. Simple job to change the seals. I don't know why I made a big fuss about it!
Posted 28th Apr 2010 at 15:59
rikky 🦔

Post #7
i have to refit my shafts and new seals sometime this week. i am looking forward to it

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 28th Apr 2010 at 21:08