displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Tyre + gear box = scrubbage
mark-house

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
ok so i recently changed the oil in my gearbox and when i took the near side front tyre off i found some serious scrubbage on the inside edge. There is also marking on the end of the gearbox. Now i think this could be down to 2 things either the steering rack has been replaced with the wrong one ie a no 6 one or could this be down to worn suspension or tracking? what are your thoughts?

mark-house has attached the following image:

Peugeot 306 GTi 6
BMW 320 td compact M-sport
1967 Mini Cooper
1990 Jaguar XJR 4.0
Posted 9th Apr 2010 at 04:18
spitfire

Regular

Post #2
Wrong steering ram, meaning the wheel turns too far right and rubs on the gearbox Yes

If you aint first, your last!
Posted 9th Apr 2010 at 04:20
mark-house

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
That was my first thought but considering the car only came out for a few weekends last year and so wasn't on full lock much would it really be this bad?

Peugeot 306 GTi 6
BMW 320 td compact M-sport
1967 Mini Cooper
1990 Jaguar XJR 4.0
Posted 9th Apr 2010 at 04:22
jonnie205

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
fit a gti6 ram, i have a good used one if needed
Posted 9th Apr 2010 at 16:09
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I do hate it when the wrong parts are fitted Sad Most likely a dodgy garage tring to save a few bob Angry

Just Drive It
Posted 9th Apr 2010 at 16:23
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #6
rallyestyle wrote:
Most likely a dodgy garage tring to save a few bob Angry

How do you figure that one out? Garages pass parts costs onto the customer you know! It makes no difference to them how much the part costs.

The problem is that a lot of parts suppliers don't list the GTi-6 ram as being different so a garage will phone up and ask for a ram for a 2.0 16v 306 and they'll get the ram that's fitted to everything else.

Rich
Posted 9th Apr 2010 at 18:09
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Rich E wrote:
rallyestyle wrote:
Most likely a dodgy garage tring to save a few bob Angry

How do you figure that one out? Garages pass parts costs onto the customer you know! It makes no difference to them how much the part costs.

Parts yes, Labour no No

If they were doing there job properly they would have seen that the wheel fouled the gearbox after fitting during testing and realised the ram was the wrong one. Most likely they did spot this but given that the garage would have had to incur the labour cost of removing the wrong one and replacing it with the right one they probably decided the scrubbage was minimal and thought they would chance it that the customer didnt spot it.

If this was at some point done by a garage there is no excuse for releasing it to the customer with the issue still in place, not even a 'we thought we had the right part' is good enough No

Just Drive It
Posted 9th Apr 2010 at 18:14