displaying posts 1 to 3 of 3

Author Subject: cambelt tensioning question
cliff7110

Junior User

Post #1
hi guys have trawled the search results and found nothing specific.

ive recently done the cambelt on my vts *cough cough* and ive been having some problems with tensioning.
I have fitted the old stlye tensioner and 136 tooth belt. when cold i can twist the belt between 45 and 75 (probs about 60 degrees) but when the engines up to temp i strugle to turn it 45 degrees at a guess deffo no where near as much when cold. also when reving it when cold the belt will resonate quite a bit when at certain revs. when warm theres a whirring noise coming from the belt when at idle or when it nearly at idle.
so my question is it safe to drive like this and what should i do? slacken it off a bit?

any help would be great.
cheers
Cliff
Posted 8th Apr 2010 at 20:55
jimmah

Regular

Post #2
As a rule, I was always told if it whirrs / whistles then its probably too tight.

1998 (S) Phase 2 Diablo Red GTI-6
Posted 12th Apr 2010 at 04:19
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #3
Should be able to twist it about 90 degrees when the engine is cold, I would say the belt is probably slightly too tight matey. Yes

Stan.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 13th Apr 2010 at 00:00