displaying posts 1 to 3 of 3

Author Subject: Failing Engine Mount?
greendots

Post #1
Hi All.

The 6 has a clunk coming from the engine bay when I'm manoeuvring around in 1st/2nd. I get it when I accelerate or brake. I've been looking around these forums and think its likely to be the engine mount as in the FAQ.

Are there any quick checks I can do to confirm if this is the case? and how much should I estimate for a garage to sort it out?

Also, can this lead to catastrophic failure? Its my daily driver so not sure if I need to sort it ASAP or can wait till I find the time.

-Cheers
Posted 5th Apr 2010 at 01:05
cooper666

Senior User

Post #2

also check mount cup isnt cracked

clio r27
ps3 id:cooperkloe

Posted 5th Apr 2010 at 01:25
jimmy9gti

Junior User

Post #3
greendots wrote:
Hi All.

The 6 has a clunk coming from the engine bay when I'm manoeuvring around in 1st/2nd. I get it when I accelerate or brake. I've been looking around these forums and think its likely to be the engine mount as in the FAQ.

Are there any quick checks I can do to confirm if this is the case? and how much should I estimate for a garage to sort it out?

Also, can this lead to catastrophic failure? Its my daily driver so not sure if I need to sort it ASAP or can wait till I find the time.

-Cheers

Hi,
as COOPER says check tht the engine mount cradle/ cup hasn't cracked, or bits broken out and captive nut broken loose.

You need to get it sorted as soon as you can.
Could lead to wear on driveshafts and seals also vibration/ juddering through the car. But i guess the main one would be exhaust joints coming loose or at worst cracking etc.
Mines on it's way out, and i have a blow from the joint at the manifold and downpipe/ cat. Believe this is down to the top engine mountSad .

Quick check is to grab the inlet manifold and with other hand grab just the other side of the cam covers (bulkhead side!), and rock the engine back and forth. You should see movement in that top mount,and possibly hear your clicking/ clunking noise.
Hope this helps.
All the best with sorting.
Dont worry bout it too muchWink , can be sorted, it's a common problem. Just take it easy for time being.
Jim.
Posted 5th Apr 2010 at 01:35