displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: help please!?
misschief

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Could an airlock cause all the water in the engine to be dumped out onto the road and the 'water' temp to go all the way into the red and no cold air to come out of the vents?

Managed to creep back to the house, put 3 litres of water into the radiator (I'm assuming that's not normal!) then turned the engine over again. Temp shot up really fast so turned it off again. Added another litre or so of water, but this time when i opened the cap there was a 'burp' from the left side of the engine (looking from the front) like there was an air block of some sort. Engine temp stayed OK for the 5 mins i ran it so went for a wee drive. Hot air again, engine running OK but I'll check under the car tomorrow morning I guess.

Now, what could have caused this? There was a large puddle under the car from stopping at the house earlier on tonight but it didn't leak once I put the water in. The cambelt was done last month and it had a new radiator about 3 months ago. Any ideas?
Posted 3rd Apr 2010 at 04:31
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
i wouldnt have thought so, sounds like a leak Sad

Team allesclar ®

Posted 3rd Apr 2010 at 04:33
misschief

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
that was my first thought but it seemed fine after the wee run, held the temp fine when it was idling too.
Posted 3rd Apr 2010 at 04:35
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
i would keep an eye on it, drain it and fill it with some coolant, i find it helps to locate any leaks as water can be just from rain Smile

Team allesclar ®

Posted 3rd Apr 2010 at 04:37
misschief

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Result! Turns out a bleed pipe had popped it's seal. Mechanic man fixed it and it cost me nowt! Big grin
Posted 4th Apr 2010 at 00:19
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
ah nice Thumbs up

Team allesclar ®

Posted 4th Apr 2010 at 00:21
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Make sure you add coolant to 50%, water on its own is not good enough.

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
Forum Search Clicky
Posted 4th Apr 2010 at 17:33