displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: speedo fuel guage broken?
noaki

Senior User

Post #1
ok right so changed over my speedo yesterday back to my red needles after months of my "new" white needles had more miles on and wanted the older ones with less miles on as im trying to sell.. anyways i took both speedos apart to swap the nasty looking red needles for the white (why i didnt think of doing this in the first place is a mystery lol) onlt o think they all worked apart form the fuel n oil gauge were not working.. after spending hours playing about i thort f*ck it, took it apart again and put the higher milage ones back toghger and in, evey thing worked fin untill i saw i had half a tank of fuel with the low fuel light on... did i mess up oorrr do i need a new set .... Dry

Team ex "manstone" - "THATS TO LOW!!"..."I KNOW!" Sad

Team defeat - bring on the *06! :/
Posted 1st Apr 2010 at 03:21
noaki

Senior User

Post #2
....... i think it may be fooked, just went to get some petrol to see if it would move atall.. the awnser NOPE! but atleast the lights off i guess... scrapy in the morning then SmileRoll eyes

Posted 1st Apr 2010 at 01:52
noaki

Senior User

Post #3
even tho im props gonna get a new one a lil money saveing tips might be nice guys Big grin

Posted 1st Apr 2010 at 02:50
rikky 🦔

Post #4
you'll have pushed the needles back on too hard and they'll be catching the dial backing slightly. i started a similar thread not long ago here:

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=120760&page=1

it took a bit of messing around getting the dials back to how they should be. it involved filling the car right up to the max and turning the fuel level needle to full so i knew it was full at that point. same with oil temp, water temp etc and rpm etc...

go fill your car up and wind the fuel needle round to the maximum. the needles have a little mechanism on them which indicates the minimum position, you'll feel it as you turn the needle, like a slight resistance in it turning. basically you are moving the needle around on this minimum pressure so when it settles it's at the minimum when settled.. hard to explain, easy when you start faffing wiht them..

if the needles aren't moving they'll be pushed on too hard. prize them out with a fork and put them on lightly. they literally only need to be connected by about 1mm, not all the way onto the backing

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 1st Apr 2010 at 05:22
noaki

Senior User

Post #5
cool dude, i'll give it a try but i think im going to do it the other way around.. wait till the low petrol light comes on and set that as the base point.. fill up and see what happens!LOL

Posted 8th Apr 2010 at 22:51
noaki

Senior User

Post #6
..mr fix-it strikes again.. its all good now.. even of i had to brake my momo steering wheel to get to it again... and ive lost my 306 wheel so ive had to settle with a leather 206 one for now Dry

Posted 10th Apr 2010 at 03:58