displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Idle issue
eugmul

Regular

Post #1
Ive done a search, but seem to be none the wiser on how to solve my problem.

The car is idling anywhere between 2.5-3.5k.

I have:
- cleaned the ICV.
- checked the air hose to throttle body.
- wiped trace amounts of oil out of the throttle body.
- reset the ECU, a few times.

The problem seems to go for a while, but if there car was left overnight the high idle returns the next day?? Unsure It also happened when the car was left for about 12 hours at work today.

So I unplugged the MAP sensor, as it was idling high, the engine cut straight out. Does this mean the sensor is broken or working correctly??

I was going to change this sensor first, as its the ceapest one, but if you have any ideas they'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Eug
Posted 24th Mar 2010 at 03:54
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Could be an airleak on the inlet manifold somewhere, possibly a crack in the helmholtz resonator under the manifold (black plastic thing), or maybe a loose bolt holding it on.

Also check that the accelerator cable isn't fouling on something so the butterfly is closing fully. Take the inlet pipe off the TB to see if it is closing fully before you look for an airleak.

Nothing to see here
Posted 24th Mar 2010 at 04:39
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Personally I'd just buy a new stepper motor. I had a similar issue with my old Xsara VTS. A new stepper sorted itSmile

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 24th Mar 2010 at 04:55
eugmul

Regular

Post #4
adam b wrote:
Could be an airleak on the inlet manifold somewhere, possibly a crack in the helmholtz resonator under the manifold (black plastic thing), or maybe a loose bolt holding it on.
Also check that the accelerator cable isn't fouling on something so the butterfly is closing fully. Take the inlet pipe off the TB to see if it is closing fully before you look for an airleak.

Got in the car this morning, no idleing issues at all, Crazy .
I can rule out the helmholtz as it was changed last week.
Will definitly check the throttle cable, a new one was fitted at the start of last month. How much slack should there be on the showing cable??
Posted 24th Mar 2010 at 12:43
eugmul

Regular

Post #5
SteviePut wrote:
Personally I'd just buy a new stepper motor. I had a similar issue with my old Xsara VTS. A new stepper sorted itSmile

Will give the stepper a change too, fingers crossed it will sort it.
Posted 24th Mar 2010 at 12:44
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Go to local scrappy for stepper motorWink

Picked one up for

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 25th Mar 2010 at 02:15
vincemasi

Post #7
before i would go about changing anything i would test the sensors with a multimeter there is a guide on here wich will show you how to to this.

do a serch on testing sensors.

i have a similar isue with my car a year ago and i tested the sensor and all came back fine.

when i spoke to one of my dads mates he worked for peugeot for 20 years he said that sometimes it can happen that the ECU doesnt know the position of the stepper motor so it assumes its in a location when it actual fact it aint.

he pluged the computer on it and fiddle with it dont know what he did but sorted the problem out.
Posted 25th Mar 2010 at 02:17