displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Transplant
paulvt

Regular

Post #1
Does anyone know if it is possible to fit a GTI-6 engine into a 1.8xs shell?? and would it be an easy job eg. nothing have to be alterred (cut)??

allesclar wrote: wrote:

the only kind of similarities of the xsi and a 6' is if you jumble the letters round to spell six Razz

Posted 23rd Mar 2010 at 18:22
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Yeah the 1.8 is an XU as well so no probs.

Nothing to see here
Posted 23rd Mar 2010 at 18:50
paulvt

Regular

Post #3
guessing i would need to get a new engine wiring loom? and guess the GTI-6 engine would leave less space in the engine bay?

the only kind of similarities of the xsi and a 6' is if you jumble the letters round to spell six Razz

Posted 23rd Mar 2010 at 19:09
rikky 🦔

Post #4
you'd buy the gti6 engine with the loom already there. get the full engine [with ecu, gearbox, loom]

you'll need a few other bits too usually - radiator, pipework, catalyst..

could do that in a day no probs if you get all your bits together initially

also weigh up donig cambelt, waterpump and tensioners with the gti6 engine out

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 23rd Mar 2010 at 19:20
paulvt

Regular

Post #5
thinking of sticking a gti-6 exhaust manifold anyway so the fitting of exhaust wouldnt be hard, who would be the best person on here to talk to about it?? Carl (mechanical-repairs)???

Posted 23rd Mar 2010 at 19:23
rikky 🦔

Post #6
talk about what? doing it? it isn't overly hard if you have a good arsenal of spanners and you are handy with tools. any decent mechanic can put an engine in a car, whatever is easiest for you though

just buy a full engine off here complete with the loom, gearbox, ecu etc and get the pipework and rad etc, someone will cut you a deal surely with all the people who break six's and rallye's on here

and make sure you hear the engine running or else you are playing roulette and will pay over the odds for a duffer in the end

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 23rd Mar 2010 at 19:32
paulvt

Regular

Post #7
mate of mine is a mechanic will have to talk to him and see if he fancies lending a hand, i can do the odd bit on the car but i think transplanting a new engine in may be a bit past my league to be honest, and im sure if i can pick up an engine of someone who is known on here i should be alright really

Posted 23rd Mar 2010 at 19:43
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Of course then there are the brakes, front springs (gti6 weighs more) the PAS ram to stop the wheel hitting the box. You also need a GTi6 gearstick with lift reverse and the cable if you go for a 6 speeder. The wiring may well not match up either as there are many changes through the years. Guess the PAS pipes will be ok, but the pump might be different and therefore the pipes.

Your main issue is finding a decent priced engine/box/loom/ecu which has a good clutch already fitted and has no problems. Realistically you should be budgeting a grand for this conversion inc belts, tensioners, oils etc.

It'd be a lot easier if you used a Xsara 5 speed gearbox.

Nothing to see here
Posted 23rd Mar 2010 at 20:30
paulvt

Regular

Post #9
thinking maybe just getting a few years no claims and buying a 6 may just be easier LOL

Posted 23rd Mar 2010 at 20:29
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
paulvt wrote:
thinking maybe just getting a few years no claims and buying a 6 may just be easier LOL

Yes and ultimately cheaper on insurance as well. Just don't modify the 1.8 and save your money.

Nothing to see here
Posted 23rd Mar 2010 at 20:31
paulvt

Regular

Post #11
thinking of just changing my wheels back to the other set i have and just leave the car how it is and run it into the ground and then when insurance lets me have a nice 6 Smile

Posted 23rd Mar 2010 at 20:34