displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Leaving a newly rebuilt engine sitting
sport1901966

Senior User

Post #1
One for the experienced engine builders. I've asked this question elsewhere but I thought I'd try the wealth of knowledge on 306gti6.com!

I finished rebuilding and fitting my engine last novemeber, since then it's more or less sat. The car isn't yet drivable. My question is, should I run it occasionally, varying between 1500-3000ish rpm until I can get round to running it in properly. I know leaving it sitting at idle does no favours in terms of bedding in the rings but I can't imagine it sitting still for months on end is great either?

Thanks in advance
Posted 23rd Mar 2010 at 01:21
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #2
Ideally you want to leave the engine standing dry with an assembly compound such as Graphogen on the bearings, etc. until you're ready to run it in but that would obviously mean dismantling the engine again.

The best you can do now is to leave it until you're ready to run it in and turn the engine over on the starter for 30 seconds to circulate the oil and build pressure before firing it. Then run the engine in and change the oil immediately afterwards.

Rich
Posted 23rd Mar 2010 at 02:34
sport1901966

Senior User

Post #3
OK so don't run it at all until I'm ready to run it in then.

Thanks thats good to know!
Posted 23rd Mar 2010 at 02:43
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #4
When you crank it over to build up the oil pressure, make sure you have the spark plugs out. Yes

This puts less stress on the engine whilst it is looking for oil pressure. Once the oil pressure light goes out, fit the plugs and coilpacks and start her up! Yes

Stan.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 24th Mar 2010 at 02:52
oldbrownshoe

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
You might find this useful

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/runin.htm

French military victories?
Did you mean French military defeats?
Posted 25th Mar 2010 at 16:42
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #6
Guy Croft has some very comprehensive first start-up and running in proceedures on his website Wink

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 26th Mar 2010 at 00:19
sport1901966

Senior User

Post #7
Thanks very much, both links are great, I've never come across the guy croft site before, that ones getting bookmarked!
Posted 26th Mar 2010 at 00:54