displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: heated rear screen
jimmy9gti

Junior User

Post #1
Hi all,
can anybody tell me which relay, and colour is for the heated rear window on a 99 Ph3 6 please??.
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks.
Posted 23rd Mar 2010 at 00:25
jimmy9gti

Junior User

Post #2
jimmy9gti wrote:
Hi all,
can anybody tell me which relay, and colour is for the heated rear window on a 99 Ph3 6 please??.
Thanks.

Anyone shed any light please????. Got a heated rear screen not working. Checked the screen and connections at the screen, element looks 100%. Push rear window switch in it lights up although not very bright!, when i let it out the light goes out Dunno . I cant hear the relay energizing/ clicking as i push the switch in, and the fuse is ok???.
Think it may be the orange relay, but not sure Confused .
Thanks.
Posted 23rd Mar 2010 at 18:42
jimmy9gti

Junior User

Post #3
jimmy9gti wrote:
jimmy9gti wrote:
Hi all,
Thanks.

Anyone shed any light please????. Got a heated rear screen not working. Checked the screen and connections at the screen, element looks 100%. Push rear window switch in it lights up although not very bright!, when i let it out the light goes out Dunno . I cant hear the relay energizing/ clicking as i push the switch in, and the fuse is ok???.
Think it may be the orange relay, but not sure Confused .
Thanks.

Any help/ ideas please??.
Surely someone must know.
Posted 2nd Apr 2010 at 03:55
rikky 🦔

Post #4
to be honest it can only either be the relay or broken connections at the window; all the wiring runs along the headlining so out of the way and unlikely to be damaged unless it's snapped at the boot opening loom. check the multimeter for power at the terminals and go from there

i actually dont remember which relay is which, or even if there is one, for the rear window

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 2nd Apr 2010 at 05:58
jimmy9gti

Junior User

Post #5
rikky wrote:
to be honest it can only either be the relay or broken connections at the window; all the wiring runs along the headlining so out of the way and unlikely to be damaged unless it's snapped at the boot opening loom. check the multimeter for power at the terminals and go from there

i actually dont remember which relay is which, or even if there is one, for the rear window

Cheers for the reply Rikky. Have done a little bit of research and asked a few questions.
I think there must be a relay somewhere or other, and believe it's called the heated rear window timer relay??. The screen stays on heater apparently for around 12 mins then drops out Dunno not sure.
Obviously i cant check this as my HRW not working.
Maybe it's just the switch?, i dont know.
Waiting for a new multimeter to be delivered, then i'll have a better look.
Cheers for the thoughts and comments.
Any more ideas or info welcome. Thanks.
Posted 2nd Apr 2010 at 15:55
sixxer

Post #6
Orange is right!
Posted 2nd Apr 2010 at 23:53
jimmy9gti

Junior User

Post #7
sixxer wrote:
Orange is right!

UPDATE: Pulled orange relay from just above fuses under the dash. Had a good look at it, and it seems to have got very hot around the terminals! causing the black plastic to melt and distort slightly!.
Took it apart, and the pcb has got some burn marks on it, and look like the tracks on pcb may be broken. Also looks like one of the joints is dry and has cracked!.
Anyone got a spare good relay at all???.

Have put a post in the wanted section.
Posted 3rd Apr 2010 at 00:34
doon1988

Regular

Post #8
Thanks for this guys I know where to potentially look for my issue now.

When I go to turn on my heated rear nothing happens. The light doesn't come on - it pops right back out. All that happens is you hear the click of the relay.

Any suggestions if this could be a relay fault or a fuse fault? If so where is the particular fuse for this? i checked the fuse box FAQ and couldn't see one for heated rear although I may have missed it?
Posted 9th Dec 2013 at 14:17
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Have a look at my Rallye project thread. I fixed my rear window heater in one of the first 2 or 3 pages.

Phase 2 or Phase 3 fuse boxes are different. Fuse box is under the dash near your right knee if sitting in the driver's seat. Covered by a plastic panel that is easily removed.

For a pic of P2 fuse box, have a look at this... http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=137315&page=last/

For a P3 fuse box: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=133067&page=1

If you hear the click of the relay it won't be a fuse fault as the the relay click means the circuit is operational - the fuse is either intact and working or not (it only overloads once and breaks the circuit to protect it from damage, and needs replacement before the circuit will work again). If the switch light doesn't come on first port of call is a defective (or incorrect - as in my case) relay. See if the relay corresponds to the colour and labelling in the links, and if there are any signs of melted plastic or blackened contacts. Even if it looks OK it could still be had it. If the relay is OK, look at the little tabs on either side of the rear screen where the wiring connects.

Onr reason relays burn out is the contacts oxidise due to moisture (damp garage, keeping the car outside etc) and the extra resistance causes extra heat which eventually cooks the relay. When replacing, clean all contacts and maybe a little WD40, vaseline or something to keep the terminals corrosion free would help. Good preventive maintenance idea to work your way around the car cleaning contacts, earths. Even unplugging and plugging back in again will scrape a little crud off the contacts.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 10th Dec 2013 at 02:54